Gibson Brands Forums

My 2004 Firebird V Golded Out!

bluezguy

It took a while to get all the parts right so as not to dig, drill, rout, cut, fart or basically destroy a classic instrument but ... here's what a modern Firebird V looks like in GOLD! Since my 1976 Bi-Centennial model, I've always wanted a gold bird - mission accomplished!

Nice. I have only held a bird once in my life and the action was so high it was unplayable.

What year and model was that? My action is so low that if I blow on the strings, they'll bottom out on a fret ... lower than my LP Std and ES335 and, no fret buzz. Maybe you found one that was set up high intentionally for slide work although, high action is often not necessary for slide. It's all up to the players 'touch' and genius of the person setting it up. Oh well, thanks for your comment.

Thank Goodness Johnny Winter was able to navigate the Firebird neck !

I have to admit the Firebird neck is totally different from all other Gibson necks but, in the right hands, .........

That looks great! Maybe I should follow your example and class up my 2013?

Was there anything unusually difficult to source?

Yes there was ... the pickup mounting rings. A lot of vendors had them but the 4 screw holes to body, were not dimensionally correct. You would have to re-drill ... something I was not about to do. I sent my stock mounting rings off to a gold plating company. It cost $60 and a lot of begging because they all want a minimum charge of $120.

Secondly, I could not find a gold switchcraft right angle 3-way. What I did was use a gold deep ring and turned it upside down over top of the switch lever itself. Lemme know when you are ready and I'll pm you a list. Kluson supplied most of the parts, including the ABR-1. All of the chosen parts were US made. Read carefully as they have equally as many offshore items (if that matters).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived