Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone "Elvis" Dove

meanstreak

Been meaning to get this little project completed for a while now, finally had some time to finish it out yesterday. I took a black Epi Dove and removed the original pickguard to switch it out to an Elvis style black one. I also changed the truss rod "Dove" cover to the "E" logo. The pickguard peeled off nicely by hand, I hit it with a hair dryer for a bit just to loosen the edges. The sticky paper that remained came off with just my fingers, no solvent needed. It wiped off cleanly too so that was nice.

This particular guitar has a bit of overspray black on the first fret, but no biggie I kind of like it in fact lol! The guitar sounds nice, and is my only maple even if it's not solid. If I'm being honest it's nowhere near as nice as any masterbilt but hey it's supposed to be that way and sure is nice to look at! Anyway enjoy!

PHOTO GALLERY

Nice work! I viewed your pics, It looks good in jet black! It came out nice! ...I see you own an Epi Hummingbird, as well as this Dove. I know the wood is different in both guitars...but can you tell me your opinion of the differences in sound and tone between the Dove and the Hummngbird?....I already own a 2008 Epi Hummingbird....what differences in tone, sound and volume might I expect to find in an Epi Dove? Thanks for your expertise!

Nice work! I viewed your pics, It looks good in jet black! It came out nice! ...I see you own an Epi Hummingbird, as well as this Dove. I know the wood is different in both guitars...but can you tell me your opinion of the differences in sound and tone between the Dove and the Hummngbird?....I already own a 2008 Epi Hummingbird....what differences in tone, sound and volume might I expect to find in an Epi Dove? Thanks for your expertise!

Well, it's tough to compare them straight against each other as they were made in different countries and about 15 years apart. I will say however the Hummingbird has a nice warm tone that sort of "covers all spectrums" when strummed if you know what I mean. The Dove has a nice tone too but it seems somehow more "accurate" as in there's maybe not as much sort of "grand" sound to it. Still very pleasant but I'd say the Dove is probably best played with a band where the Bird can sound great in a group or solo.

I should add that both the Bird and Dove pale in comparison to any of the Masterbilt guitars, save for possibly the AJ-500R, being rosewood dread it's very deep, almost too deep of a sound so that it can sometimes sound muddy to my ears while playing it. If someone else plays it and I sit a few feet away it seems fine though. Maybe I'm just looney!

I should add that both the Bird and Dove pale in comparison to any of the Masterbilt guitars, save for possibly the AJ-500R, being rosewood dread it's very deep, almost too deep of a sound so that it can sometimes sound muddy to my ears while playing it. If someone else plays it and I sit a few feet away it seems fine though. Maybe I'm just looney!

Thanks for your input. I do prefer the warmth of Hog, even laminated hog. So for me the brighter, clearer maple may not be the ticket. Thanks again.

Archived