Gibson Brands Forums

If you were looking at a 1970's EPI what would you look for?

dReit1

There's a local fella posting 4 1970's Epiphone acoustics and I'm a thinking about picking one up. My 1st acoustic was a early 70's EPI that I let go several years ago. I've been thinking of replacing it and these showed up. Must/might be "Meant to be."

I would appreciate any and all info regarding good and bad points of the following Japan made EPI's.

Models 6830, FT-350 EL DORADO , FT-145 TEXAN , FT-130 CABELLERO

Prices are $2-300. so I think that is fine. I'm mostly curious as to whether I should try to buy one of these or look at a newer Chinese model .

Thanks to all

Doug

The Caballero and the Texan were popular enough for Epiphone to re-release them. The new acoustics are made in Indonesia. I'd be willing to bet the new ones are of better quality. They also have no wear and a warranty.

I would say it all depends on the playability and condition. I would definitely check them out in person. you never know...one of them could be the guitar for you. there's also a certain mojo you just can't get from a new guitar.

with all that said; the new re-issues like the Texan and Cabalero are great instruments and are about the same dollar amount of the '70's Epis this guy is selling so I wouldn't count them out. good luck on your search!

I would say it all depends on the playability and condition. I would definitely check them out in person. you never know...one of them could be the guitar for you. there's also a certain mojo you just can't get from a new guitar.

with all that said; the new re-issues like the Texan and Cabalero are great instruments and are about the same dollar amount of the '70's Epis this guy is selling so I wouldn't count them out. good luck on your search!

ya that's probably true, a used guitar does have a certain mojo to it. That's why I've never bought a brand new guitar save for one, my J-45. Every other one has been at least two or three years old so they get that first scratch or dent out of the way and get broken in a bit too.

Prices are $2-300. so I think that is fine.

Yeah, if you can get one for $2, I'd say go for it. [smile] Otherwise, I think they're overpriced. Check the epiwiki. I didn't look at the others, but the Caballero is all laminate. I'd suggest a solid spruce top at a minimum. A brand-new Indonesian-made FT-79 IB64 Texan would be a much better choice, IMO. Plus, there are used Masterbilts on ebay between $300-400 that are all solid wood and excellent guitars. Do a little research. That's part of the fun! [cool]

Yeah, if you can get one for $2, I'd say go for it. [smile] Otherwise, I think they're overpriced. Check the epiwiki. I didn't look at the others, but the Caballero is all laminate. I'd suggest a solid spruce top at a minimum. A brand-new Indonesian-made FT-79 IB64 Texan would be a much better choice, IMO. Plus, there are used Masterbilts on ebay between $300-400 that are all solid wood and excellent guitars. Do a little research. That's part of the fun! [cool]

Yes...an old guitar is often more of a cool idea than it is a cool reality, especially with how well Epiphone is making guitars today (and with a sharp eye out for classic appearances and designs)!

Thanks to all for your input. I've decided to take your advice and look for something else.I got to say it hurt a little to hear that the old EPI that I always thought I shouldn't have let go, was probably not that great and that it was a good thing I gave it away.

I'll keep looking. That's half the fun anyway. :)

Thanks again.

Doug

I got to say it hurt a little to hear that the old EPI that I always thought I shouldn't have let go, was probably not that great and that it was a good thing I gave it away.

No, no, lol, it was probably great at the time, but that was 40 years ago! Surely there are great vintage guitars, but as Mick mentioned, I think even Gibson hit a low spot in the 70s. But there have also been technological improvements in 40 years, which really help the lower-end guitars (while the higher ends are more 'hand-made').

I'll keep looking. That's half the fun anyway. :)

It is! There are really just too many guitars out there. Lot of great ones to choose from though.

• 2 weeks later...

inspect the neck joint and action. THe block inside that the neck bolts to can break loose from the guitar top. Look around the fretboard extension just above the sound hole. If it makes contact or angles towards the soundboard, the neck block needs to be re-glued and braced. Judge for yourself if you can make the repair.

If the neck block is secure, then tone is king.

Happy hunting!

Even back in the '70s when these guitars were new, my first hand observation of the Epiphone acoustics from this era consistently classified them as inferior to similarly priced products from other Asian makers (such as Yamaha, Ibanez, Aria, and Alvarez).

Imho, your money can be much better spent. The recent Epiphone Texan and Caballero reissues cited above are based on the Gibson USA-made versions of these models from the '60s, which were completely different animals from their '70s Asian-made counterparts (sharing a name & nothing else).

From today's Epi lineup, the Texan, Hummingbird, Dove, EL-00, & others all offer solid spruce tops, good construction, and a much greater likelihood that you'll find satisfying tone & playability. Sample as many as you can to establish a reference point for what a good one can sound like before you leap, and enjoy the ride!

What about the lawsuit Japanese guitars from the 70s? I've heard good things about what came out of the Terada factories. I have a J200 copy that a friend found in a dump that is a bit beat up but I love it.

What about the lawsuit Japanese guitars from the 70s? I've heard good things about what came out of the Terada factories. I have a J200 copy that a friend found in a dump that is a bit beat up but I love it.

I've played a bunch of those (a friend is really into lawsuit guits) and they're hit or miss. Some of the J200s i've played sound close to a gibson, others, even with 40 years behind them, sound like a brand new ej-200: no depth, no bass, all cow and no pow. The best sounding one Ive played was a takamine martin D18 copy- but even that had tiny frets and high action.

In the world of cheap guitars, it all comes down to luck of the draw + how it's lived its life up to now. Thrill of the chase!

So other than Norlin going after Ibanez over the headstock (which Ibanez had already redesigned the year before), who was sued?

So other than Norlin going after Ibanez over the headstock (which Ibanez had already redesigned the year before), who was sued?

Nobody. There is no greater myth in guitars than "lawsuit" guitars. They don't exist. Minor hay was made of Ibanez copying scripts and headstocks close enough to be mistaken from a certain distance. Some guitars were intercepted at a dock and the headstocks cut off in order to demonstrate future penalty. After that, a decade or so, Fender sued Valley Arts I believe, for script and headstock again.

rct

Nobody. There is no greater myth in guitars than "lawsuit" guitars. They don't exist. Minor hay was made of Ibanez copying scripts and headstocks close enough to be mistaken from a certain distance. Some guitars were intercepted at a dock and the headstocks cut off in order to demonstrate future penalty. After that, a decade or so, Fender sued Valley Arts I believe, for script and headstock again.

rct

Bingo! It is an urban legend probably kept going by folks wanting to sell guitars. As I noted, The Norlin suit was only abut the open book headstock which Ibanez had actually abandoned the year before the suit. Ironically, their new design looked like a Guild headstock. Martin apparently did contact Tak asking them to change their logo but never sued.

About the only real bright spots I can come up with in the 1970s were Guilds and the last of the Harmony Sovereigns and their Opus line.

Imho, Guild was far & away the best value on the market in the '70s, which is why I bought four of them back then.

Last month, I got to revisit my '70s inner Guild with the purchase of a 1976 G-37 blonde, and I'm in love with Guild all over again!

• 2 months later...

They are odd models and versions of existing models that have little relation to previous Epiphones. I have a bass made in Japan by a good maker with good features, but it is not a "real" Epiphone...*

The New Epiphones - or recently made models - are very good, no matter if they were made in Chine, Indonesia or Korea. I would NOT recommend a '70's MIJ Epiphone, period.

* These basses are being sold by big time "vintage" sellers as "rare vintage Epiphones" for big money... They are OK, but they are not any of that.

I know what you're saying, the new Epi acoustics are very nice for about the same price as used. But if you can find a nicely aged model that has a decent setup it can work for you. Back when I needed a guitar for not much money I got lucky and found a late 70's model. Of course it was only 7 or 8 years old at the time. About the best $125 I ever spent.

DSCN0877_zpsjoe6tinv.jpg

Archived