Gibson Brands Forums

Best Guitar Tuner

Zentar

http://www.amazon.com/eNote-Chromatic-Clip-on-Tuner-ENT-1/dp/B00104HWA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434999712&sr=8-1&keywords=enote+tuner

I think this is the easiest to use tuner out there. I've used 7 or 8 different tuners over the years and this model seems to stand out. I even saw a poll of the top 10 ranked tuners where this model was No. 7 ranked but I had owned several of the ones ranked higher including the top ranked and I thought the Enote was superior.

I especially like the graphic of an analog needle gauge on the LCD. It has two colors red and green. It goes to green when you get closr to being on key.

Everything about it is tops except the price. Arrived in my mailbox for $12. I own 3 of then and use nothing else.

and it looks like a pick...

brilliant!

It also cuts itself off. You will lose them before you have to replace the battery. Ive had them for years and never replaced a battery.I still have one I bought 5 yrs ago with the original battery.

The buttons are easy to use. I have a Korg with LED lights that is hard to turn on or off. The button is on the back and flush with the surface. Im surprised Korg even sells that model.

If I have to struggle with the buttons I throw them in a junk drawer.

I've been using the Planet Wave Mini HS. Have three of them. they have an auto-shut off too.

Best tuner I have ever owned is my Peterson VS1 Strobe. I've had it since around 2000, 2001, or so.

I have a Peterson tuner very similar to the VS1. it was $79. I compared the accuracy of the Enote $12 tuner to the Peterson it was the same.

The Peterson sits in a drawer now.

I have a $6 Snark tuner that is as accurate as the Enote or Peterson. Snarks are nice too but the analog dial gauge LCD graphic on the Enote is easier to read. I guess I'm an analog man.

One thing in favor of the Enotes and Snarks is the minimalist screen graphics. The Peterson is more sophisticated and displys more info but when I tune or fine tune Im gong to use the tuner just few seconds so minimalism is what I like.

All of these tuners will tune a guitar. If you like a specific tuner you like tell us why you like it because your requirements may be identical to others..

That Peterson you speak of must be the clip on right? I've not tried one, but I know what you are talking about.

honestly, as you correctly point out, any of these tuners will do a fine job, so it's really down to how much you want to spend I suppose.

I favor my Peterson to the others (a Sabine tuner I've had for eons, and a BOS Tu72 that I've had for 25 / 30 years, and yea despite being knocked around, dropped, tossed about in gig bags all these years, drop a new 9v in there, and they STILL Freakin work like the did they day I bought them...)

The Peterson's compensate the oddity from the 4th to 5th change @the G and B string, I thought Peterson clip on does this too, but you would know that better than I. Most of the others wont do that. and it does help, especially with Acoustics where you are going from a wound G to a plain B. something about that chemistry is just weird enough to make a difference.

These also have a few different temperament settings, (the Guitar one offers the G/B string "Sweetening" ) and there is an equal temperament that is used when setting intonation.

OTOH, while I do like the VS-1 tuner, I'd not drop 200 bucks on one today (which is what the Vs-1 cost when I bought it)

I bought my first ever clip on tuner yesterday. Its a Snark. Its quick, easy to read and has a universal joint so you can point it which way you need it. It takes a 2032 watch battery (supplied).

Up til now I just used the signal processor tuners, but this is good for when you dont want to plug in too.

That's all I've got. Remarkable little gadget. I've got good relative pitch and used to tune BY EAR. [scared] This thing's better. [smile]

I used to tune by ear for many years. I cant do it any more though.

If there was enough quiet, I would imagine the sound of an orchestra tuning up. That orchestra used to tune to E. Once I got that I was away.

My pitch was messed up some years ago though. Even my relative pitch has suffered, hence the need for the tuner. Wonderful little gadget :)

I use a Poly Tune 2 for live application. When you turn it on it stops the signal from going to your amp so you can tune without bothering anyone. You can also check all 6 strings at once then go the string that needs attention to fine tune. Completely automatic with just an on-off stomp switch. It also has a photo cell to adjust brightness. It can be use outdoors with no problem being seen.

Mike

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I still use a Sabine ST-1100 that I've had for decades for guitar setup & intonation

Thought about picking one of those Snark Tuners up from GC if I can get it in black..

Cheap & easy to see..

I have the same model and yes they are excellent! I think I got mine in the late 80's or early 90's. Lately though mine has just been collecting dust, as I pretty much always use a Korg PitchCrow G now, which I am very happy with

• 2 months later...

I use boss tu-12H ALWAYS on the chromatic setting works better there it has a real needle gauge as well as lights...bout $100 though

I could never tune by ear, not good enough anyways.

+1 [thumbup] Also, it will tune a five string bass...............

• 4 months later...

I use a Behringer rack mount tuner although my best tuner is a Planet Waves strobe pedal. I have no idea where it has got to though - it seems to have disappeared.

Archived