Gibson Brands Forums

CS-356 Size and ES-335

Ax1

I am almost ready to custom order a CS-356 but I am a bit worried about its size, and I can't try one out first because nowhere seems to have one.

Is there a Gibson constructed in the same way as the CS-356 but the same size as the ES355?

If not I will ask the custom shop if they can make one because I like the construction and sound of the CS, but want the size of the ES.

Looks like I might have to wait a while anyway, I have just been told by the dealer that Gibson aren't taking custom orders at the moment.

Also they said the only fretboard option is Richlite, the same as it was 3 years ago when I last put in a custom order so looks like a custom with Ebony, or Rosewood fretboard is a thing of the past.

Ax1,

Would you really want the CS-356 as a full size semi-hollow? I only ask because the build and woods used in the construction are totally different. An ES-335 is made from a laminated maple, (maple / poplar / maple), top, back and sides with a separate glued in center block under the pickups. The CS-356 starts out as a large piece of solid mahogany. It's then routed out above, below, to the front and rear of the pickup cavities. This one piece forms both the back and sides, (no rims). The top is two pieces of book matched solid maple, (not laminated). I own a CS-336, (a CS-356 minus the gold appointments, added binding, block inlays and using a real Rosewood fingerboard rather than a Richlite fingerboard). I'm just wondering about the weight and price of a full size ES semi-hollow build of the CS-356. I imagine the price would be very high and the weight would be quite noticeable.

Of note from personal use........ A CS-336 / 356 sounds like a 50 / 50 blend of a Les Paul and an ES-335. It does not have the airy resonance of the ES-335. Overall the tone of a CS-336 / 356 is bolder with less resonance and much more sustain. It handles high gain much better but has less natural ambiance. Notes jump out much stronger and the current picked note is always much louder than the remains of the prior notes. Where the 335 allows notes to "mingle" the 356 creates a prominent focus on the most recently struck note.

Anyway ....... they're quite different in spite of their body shape. I love my CS-336 but wouldn't want the added size you're looking for.

arlum

I am almost ready to custom order a CS-356 but I am a bit worried about its size, and I can't try one out first because nowhere seems to have one.

Is there a Gibson constructed in the same way as the CS-356 but the same size as the ES355?

If not I will ask the custom shop if they can make one because I like the construction and sound of the CS, but want the size of the ES.

You may find an ES-339 or 359 to try for size (not sound/tone). It will be about the same as the 356. If that fails, the 356 is very close to the size of a Les Paul.

Trying to order a one-off from Gibson for a model they do not build is going to be VERY expensive and as arlum says, it will be pretty heavy.

I did think about weight, and I can't imagine it would be more than a non chambered Les Paul, in which case it doesn't bother me.

Basically I want it the size of an ES 335 because smaller guitars like on the Les Paul, where my arm rests the edge pushes in to my forearm quite a bit especially when picking heavy/fast which is very uncomfortable for me, yet don't have this issue on the ES 335 because of its physical size.

I will wait and see what Gibson say regarding it, I have asked another dealer to try and find out if they would be interested in making it when they start customer orders again.

Although I am thinking they possibly wont want to even bother and will probably just say its not possible, or too much trouble for a one off.

• 1 month later...

If you're still interested I have a very nice CS356, with ebony fretboard for sale. Check out my profile pic and let me know.post-72959-097892100 1439966961_thumb.jpg

Archived