Gibson Brands Forums

Nighthawk & Blueshawk

HEADKNOCKER

Well as some of you may know for over 20 years I've had a Blueshawk, went thru three of them buying & selling like I do but always seem to come back.

I had a early Black Blueshawk with the Southern Comfort House of Blues Logo in the face of the guitar that I ended up selling to Guitar Emporium in Louisville, If anyone has this guitar I'd like to buy it back BTW, Then later on we had a Blue one with a black neck, Both of these guitars had the rounded profile like a Nighthawks neck was used, & then the 2006 blue Blueshawk we have currently & the 2013 Nancy Wilson "Fanatic" Nighthawk Standard..

I guess the feel & shape of these guitars really grow on you & my Son has also had one in his hands since he was three & learned to play on the lightweight killer Gibson with a wide array of tones..

Epiphone has just released a Blueshawk with bound fretboard & flamed maple veneer top & would assume that a Gibson Reissue is in the works being they were a good seller & had such great tones with the Blues 90 pickups, 3 way switch, & 6 way rotary varitone plus the dummy coil pickup in the rear which cancels 60 cycle hum when either of the pickups are used alone..

These guitars have a 25 1/2" scale with Rosewood fretboards & have a familiar feel to Les Paul players, Most Blueshawks have a V shaped neck profile like my current one but my other two had the rounded Nighthawk profile, Both of the C shape profile necks were black BTW, I know that doesn't make a difference or maybe it does? Hmmm..

Last year my Son was looking around for a new solid body guitar & was looking at the Les Paul Traditional II @ GC but finally settled on a Gibson Nighthawk as his go to solidbody, We also have a 1997 PRS CE-22 that has filled that role for a while & there isn't a bolt on neck guitar I ever seen that lives up to the feel & sound of this one, Sorry Fender..

I thought I'd share some pictures of the current Lineup of Blueshawk & Nighthawks with the Gibson Forum..

2006 Gibson Blueshawk & 2013 Gibson Nighthawk Nancy Wilson "Fanatic"

P7250013.jpg

P7250019.jpg

BlueshawkGibsonCase.jpg

P7270022.jpg

GibsonBox.jpg

NighthawkCase.jpg

NighthawkInCase.jpg

NighthawkTop.jpg

NighthawkampBlueshawk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi,

I have just bought an Epiphone Blueshawk, and I'm looking to buy a hardshell case for it.  Looking at the photos above, it looks as if you have been able to use a regular LP shape case for yours.  Is this correct?  I have been getting mixed messages, one of which suggested that I would be better with the SG case rather than the LP.  Personally, I think the LP will fit fine, but I don't want the hassle of buying one that I then have to return and start again!

Grateful for any info you can provide.

Andy

On 12/8/2019 at 11:57 AM, Bluesman Andy said:

Hi,

I have just bought an Epiphone Blueshawk, and I'm looking to buy a hardshell case for it.  Looking at the photos above, it looks as if you have been able to use a regular LP shape case for yours.  Is this correct?  I have been getting mixed messages, one of which suggested that I would be better with the SG case rather than the LP.  Personally, I think the LP will fit fine, but I don't want the hassle of buying one that I then have to return and start again!

Grateful for any info you can provide.

Andy

Nice revitalization of old thread, haha!  Just messing around.  But the SG case definitely fits a Nighthawk/Blueshawk better than a LP case - from experience.  Either this or wait for someone to sell a case on Reverb, eBay, etc.  The SG case fits good, but not entirely snug as the original cases. 

On 7/5/2015 at 6:31 AM, HEADKNOCKER said:

The Epi is Really SWEET Looking & can only Imagine that Gibson will release their version sometime soon..

Epiphone Blueshawk deluxe

Gibson produced the BluesHawk from about 95 to 05, The Epiphone version introduced in 2015 has been more successful possibly because of the more traditional sounding P90's.

On 12/10/2019 at 6:04 AM, NighthawkChris said:

Nice revitalization of old thread, haha!  Just messing around.  But the SG case definitely fits a Nighthawk/Blueshawk better than a LP case - from experience.  Either this or wait for someone to sell a case on Reverb, eBay, etc.  The SG case fits good, but not entirely snug as the original cases. 

The Gibson SG case holds the body much better than the slightly larger Epiphone SG case that really doesn't hold it very well, allowing it to flop around a lot..

I have both Gibson and Epiphone SG cases, as well as a few aftermarket LP cases that work OK have to add a little padding to the back so the neck is held at a good angle.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1