Gibson Brands Forums

Reccommendations for Pedal

Silvercrow

Hey All- I'm not a huge pedal guy- never have been. Thus I am well behind the curve relative to pedals, modulation and such especially.

Lately, I've been checking out a few and I really like the "Uni Vibe" and similar pedals. Limited 'net research seems to indicate the Fulltone Deja Vibe is a big hit with many. There also seems to be a following for the MXR versions.

With a max limit of $175.00, and lower better without sacrificing tone, what would any of you fine folks reccommend? BTW- the Trem / Vibrato on my amp works very well and is not noisy; so a combo pedal would not be necessary or beneficial.

ALSO- is a chorus pedal equal to or similar to a Uni-Vibe? Phaser?

Sorry for my ignorance- but "I yam what I yam..." as Popeye would say. I've always received good solid info here and appreciate your input! THANKS!

Brian

Hi Silvercrow.

I can't help with a recommendation, I use an Line 6 MM4 which has the Univibe as one of the effects you can preset.. (The MM4 allows you to have 4 different modulation style of effects)

IMO, the univibe is close to a chorus, but it's "not quite" the same. My best shot at explaining the vibe is there's a pulsating rhythm that is more or less behind the whole modulation effect.

for a good example, take a listen to Robin Trower's gutiar sounds on the song Bridge of Sighs, especially the intro

(on the same named album, which is a FANTASTIC Trower album if you've never owned a copy)

anyway, THAT'S a univibe.

Hi Brian, hope you are well and rocking out with Scarlet :) I use a MXR Univibe, fantastic pedal, get that chewy swirly sound. Very easy to dial in the sound you want. [thumbup]

Another pedal to have a look at is by Lovepedal -Pickle Vibe.

The first link is for Lovepedal and the other two are for the MXR Univibe. Still getting used to adding a link, only worked it out this morning on my tablet (HAL) :lol:

kind regards, Emma :)

Hi Brian, hope you are well and rocking out with Scarlet :) I use a MXR Univibe, fantastic pedal, get that chewy swirly sound. Very easy to dial in the sound you want. [thumbup]

Another pedal to have a look at is by Lovepedal -Pickle Vibe.

The first link is for Lovepedal and the other two are for the MXR Univibe. Still getting used to adding a link, only worked it out this morning on my tablet (HAL) :lol:

Hi Emma- great to hear from you! YES...good Lord I love 'Scarlet'!

The YouTubes for the MXR and Fulltone Deja Vibe have my attention. The Pickle seems a bit "thin" but I realize its a YouTube video...not much tonally..

Quite a diff in price I'm guessing because the Fulltone uses the opti-lamp or whatever it is.

I'm most interested in the low end thumpy swirly sound and it seems that the MXR has it! I'd not be using the vibrato settings on the Fulltone and the really fast / high intensity settings on either don't do anything for me. Although I usually don't like "digital" the technology has come a long way and the MXR just plain sounds good.

Your links came out fine and thank you so much for posting and taking the time. I'm thinking MXR at this point...

Brian

Hi Silvercrow.

I can't help with a recommendation, I use an Line 6 MM4 which has the Univibe as one of the effects you can preset.. (The MM4 allows you to have 4 different modulation style of effects)

IMO, the univibe is close to a chorus, but it's "not quite" the same. My best shot at explaining the vibe is there's a pulsating rhythm that is more or less behind the whole modulation effect.

for a good example, take a listen to Robin Trower's gutiar sounds on the song Bridge of Sighs, especially the intro

(on the same named album, which is a FANTASTIC Trower album if you've never owned a copy)

anyway, THAT'S a univibe.

Hey Kidblast- THANKS for reminding me about Bridge of Sighs! What a soulful and mind bending track! I did own it at one time- thinking I need to own it again!

Brian

Check out the MXR Uni-Vibe. I have one and LOVE it! One of my favorite pedals. Absolutely NAILS that Hendrix tone, especially playing the Star Spangled Banner. Check one out if you haven't already. I think you'd be very pleased.

Check out the MXR Uni-Vibe. I have one and LOVE it! One of my favorite pedals. Absolutely NAILS that Hendrix tone, especially playing the Star Spangled Banner. Check one out if you haven't already. I think you'd be very pleased.

Thanks for that endorsement! I'm leaning that way, I need the push! I think because of my not-so-hot experiences with digital in the early / mid 90s, I have an aversion to it (digital stuff). That and the fact that I was BORN in the mid 50s, love tubes (our first 'Hi-Fi' had a tube amp, likewise our first T.V.)and on and on.

Yeah, if it can do the Trower /Hendrix thing I'm in! PLUS it's seriously less expensive than the Fulltone offering.

I want to like the Voodoo Micro Vibe, but although i know internet videos and recordings are no where true to life, it just sounds blah to me...and if I go that way I may as well spend the 15 extra bucks and get the Fulltone...

Brian

THANKS for reminding me about Bridge of Sighs! What a soulful and mind bending track! I did own it at one time- thinking I need to own it again!

You most certainly do!

iTunes,

10 bucks,

hours delicious nostalgia,

WORTH every penny!

Thanks for that endorsement! I'm leaning that way, I need the push! I think because of my not-so-hot experiences with digital in the early / mid 90s, I have an aversion to it (digital stuff). That and the fact that I was BORN in the mid 50s, love tubes (our first 'Hi-Fi' had a tube amp, likewise our first T.V.)and on and on.

Yeah, if it can do the Trower /Hendrix thing I'm in! PLUS it's seriously less expensive than the Fulltone offering.

I want to like the Voodoo Micro Vibe, but although i know internet videos and recordings are no where true to life, it just sounds blah to me...and if I go that way I may as well spend the 15 extra bucks and get the Fulltone...

Brian

You're welcome! Have you checked out and tried the MXR Uni-Vibe?

Hi Emma- great to hear from you! YES...good Lord I love 'Scarlet'!

The YouTubes for the MXR and Fulltone Deja Vibe have my attention. The Pickle seems a bit "thin" but I realize its a YouTube video...not much tonally..

Quite a diff in price I'm guessing because the Fulltone uses the opti-lamp or whatever it is.

I'm most interested in the low end thumpy swirly sound and it seems that the MXR has it! I'd not be using the vibrato settings on the Fulltone and the really fast / high intensity settings on either don't do anything for me. Although I usually don't like "digital" the technology has come a long way and the MXR just plain sounds good.

Your links came out fine and thank you so much for posting and taking the time. I'm thinking MXR at this point...

Brian

Hi Brian, I'm glad you have bonded with Scarlet [thumbup]

I too have been taken by suprise with digital technology. I've come across a really nice pedal that I'm gassing for. Hopefully fingers crossed and more importantly my wages are in my bank account gone midnight I can order it [-o<

Oops, got side tracked [blush] The MXR is great versatile pedal, I use it a lot. :)

You're welcome! Have you checked out and tried the MXR Uni-Vibe?

Hoping to do this on Friday! Locally, both the Sam Ash and the G.C. have 'em in stock. No problem bringing my guitar in to check it out [thumbup] Where they are both...balking, I could say...is their seeming reluctance to deviate from their "setup". Both have a large rack with all sorts of pedals on 'em. They are (tediously, I'm sure) wired through a switcher to a modeling amp. The idea is to take your guitar, or one of theirs, over to the rack and plug in, try it out. Fine, except in a perfect world, it would be great to plug into their stock display 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, which is the amp I own.

The guy at Sam Ash knows me well and it appears he will do what it takes to make it happen. I hate to be a PIA and its not a ton of money, but still, I get so tired of returning things. Both stores have great return polocies, and both are within 20 minutes of where I work. Either way, I'm anxious to see (hear) how it goes!

Brian

Anyway...I WILL let you know!

Hi Brian, I'm glad you have bonded with Scarlet [thumbup]

I too have been taken by suprise with digital technology. I've come across a really nice pedal that I'm gassing for. Hopefully fingers crossed and more importantly my wages are in my bank account gone midnight I can order it [-o<

Oops, got side tracked [blush] The MXR is great versatile pedal, I use it a lot. :)

OK Emma! You know me pretty well and you know that little snippet piqued my curiosity! SO...OUT WITH IT! Permission to semi-hijack thread granted! "What 'choo lookin' at?" as we say here in Philly...

Brian

Hi Brian, well I'm getting excited over this new 'toy' of mine, and guess what? ....it's being delivered tomorrow YAY. [thumbup]

I've been checking out digital reverb pedals and I came across this pedal. This is what I've been looking for, for my ambient dreamscape tunes and I'm really liking the Spring Reverb mode, just what I need for my Surf Rock, this is going to be so cool especially with my latest addition of the Bigsby B5 which I fitted on my SG last week [thumbup]

I've included some links (no stopping me now I know how to do it hehe)

Hardwire Supernatural Spring vs. Twin Reverb:

http://digitech.com/en/products/supernatural

Hi Brian, well I'm getting excited over this new 'toy' of mine, and guess what? ....it's being delivered tomorrow YAY. [thumbup]

I've been checking out digital reverb pedals and I came across this pedal. This is what I've been looking for, for my ambient dreamscape tunes and I'm really liking the Spring Reverb mode, just what I need for my Surf Rock, this is going to be so cool especially with my latest addition of the Bigsby B5 which I fitted on my SG last week [thumbup]

I've included some links (no stopping me now I know how to do it hehe)

Hardwire Supernatural Spring vs. Twin Reverb:

http://digitech.com/en/products/supernatural

Well shut mah mouth! Danged if I didn't feel the pedal was more lush than the real deal at some points! You have a way with pickin' 'em, Emma!

And whats up with the guy in the video!!?! Anything that makes me mad is a guy who plays that well WITH EITHER HAND! SHOW-OFF! [cursing]

Thanks for the link...and please note my official request for a "tone report" on your new pedal!

Brian

Well shut mah mouth! Danged if I didn't feel the pedal was more lush than the real deal at some points! You have a way with pickin' 'em, Emma!

And whats up with the guy in the video!!?! Anything that makes me mad is a guy who plays that well WITH EITHER HAND! SHOW-OFF! [cursing]

Thanks for the link...and please note my official request for a "tone report" on your new pedal!

Brian

Hi Brian, the pedal was delivered this morning [thumbup] Oohhh boy! This is a awesome pedal, well and truly lives up to all the videos and reviews I've been looking at. Very easy to use and dial in that sweet spot. The spring reverb is unbelievable [thumbup] I'm going to post in the 'Lounge' as I've been cheeky hijacking your post [blush]

How is you search going with the Univibe pedal, have you had the chance to check any out?

Looking forward to what you decide to buy [thumbup]

Hi Brian, the pedal was delivered this morning [thumbup] Oohhh boy! This is a awesome pedal, well and truly lives up to all the videos and reviews I've been looking at. Very easy to use and dial in that sweet spot. The spring reverb is unbelievable [thumbup] I'm going to post in the 'Lounge' as I've been cheeky hijacking your post [blush]

How is you search going with the Univibe pedal, have you had the chance to check any out?

Looking forward to what you decide to buy [thumbup]

So glad you are happy with it! I was impressed by the links / videos1

I tried the MXR today at Sam Ash- VERY nice! They did not have a VoodooLabs Microvibe but apparently there is one at a Guitar Center not too far. I've decided to hold off just a bit as I feel I owe it to myself to try at least one other!

No cheekiness involved- glad you let me know you're doing well with it thus far-I do look forward to your review of your new pedal at the Lounge!

Brian

So glad you are happy with it! I was impressed by the links / videos1

I tried the MXR today at Sam Ash- VERY nice! They did not have a VoodooLabs Microvibe but apparently there is one at a Guitar Center not too far. I've decided to hold off just a bit as I feel I owe it to myself to try at least one other!

No cheekiness involved- glad you let me know you're doing well with it thus far-I do look forward to your review of your new pedal at the Lounge!

Brian

Hi Brian, I understand how you feel researching and trying out different pedals. You've got to find the one that 'speaks' to you. Intrigued about the VoodooLabs Microvibe. :) [thumbup]

Well I've got myself so excited over my new pedal and played so much today, I've worn myself out :lol: All good fun though, and it's not a one trick pony, this will be a permanent fixture for playing. :)

WELL...turns out the Voodolabs Micro, used, was not at MY local GC and it apparently does not exist anymore. Apparently someone bought it!

I'll stall this until after July 4th; the 3rd is my wife's and my anniversary (24 years she's put up with me!!!)and over the 4th weekend we've got plenty to do.

I think the gameplan, at 8:50 AM EDST (GMT-5 I think)is to order the Voodoo Labs from MF next week, see if I like it. If I do this will end right there. If not, as much as I hate to do it, I'll probably order the Fulltone Deja Vibe. My thoughts are that I don't use a ton of pedals and that I really need to try to get one I really bond with.

Will keep ya'll posted on my continued indecision :blink:

@Emma- would love to hear the 'Dreamscape' recordings...

@FZ- yeah, I thought about that! I had a Carl Martin chorus that I'd really liked, used it in my originals band. Sold it when I joined a cover band and had no current use for it. Seems like, although I could be wrong, the Uni-Vibe style pedals have a little more...something.

Brian

WELL...turns out the Voodolabs Micro, used, was not at MY local GC and it apparently does not exist anymore. Apparently someone bought it!

I'll stall this until after July 4th; the 3rd is my wife's and my anniversary (24 years she's put up with me!!!)and over the 4th weekend we've got plenty to do.

I think the gameplan, at 8:50 AM EDST (GMT-5 I think)is to order the Voodoo Labs from MF next week, see if I like it. If I do this will end right there. If not, as much as I hate to do it, I'll probably order the Fulltone Deja Vibe. My thoughts are that I don't use a ton of pedals and that I really need to try to get one I really bond with.

Will keep ya'll posted on my continued indecision :blink:

@Emma- would love to hear the 'Dreamscape' recordings...

@FZ- yeah, I thought about that! I had a Carl Martin chorus that I'd really liked, used it in my originals band. Sold it when I joined a cover band and had no current use for it. Seems like, although I could be wrong, the Uni-Vibe style pedals have a little more...something.

Brian

Hi Brian, I know how you feel, when a shop says they have an item in stock and it's either been sold or they haven't updated their stock list. I've been looking on the net, the Voodoolabs Micro Vibe is still available to buy. [thumbup]

I've recently purchased a BOSS BR80 digital recorder, great little device, how technology has changed, built in drum patches, which you can customise, loads of effects, one of them is really cool, makes my SG sound like a bass guitar. 8 tracks for recording with a total of 64 virtual tracks. I'm still finding my way around using it but having lots of fun. I will do some Dreamscape recordings soon :) Going to buy a volume pedal, it will be perfect when using the shimmer mode on the Supernatural.

The radio station you mentioned sounds great, I'm going to check it out. I too like the tranquil quality of Ambient music [thumbup]

Keep us posted can't wait to see what pedal you buy :)

WELL- sometimes the decision you make gets a little help...

Was perusing the TDPRI board (one of the first git boards I joined) and lo and behold- there was a guy on there with a used MicroVibe (VoodooLabs)for sale. Excellent condition, reasonable price. I made an offer and he accepted! So here we go...I pray! Will keep you all posted!

Brian

WELL- sometimes the decision you make gets a little help...

Was perusing the TDPRI board (one of the first git boards I joined) and lo and behold- there was a guy on there with a used MicroVibe (VoodooLabs)for sale. Excellent condition, reasonable price. I made an offer and he accepted! So here we go...I pray! Will keep you all posted!

Brian

Hi Brian, wow! that's amazing that the you've managed to get a MicroVibe. [thumbup]. Looking forward to your review [thumbup]

Hi Brian, wow! that's amazing that the you've managed to get a MicroVibe. [thumbup]. Looking forward to your review [thumbup]

Yeah, Thanks! Just had an impulse to look and there it was. Supposed to be in excellent condition; the seller seems like a very decent guy, communicative and has several pedals, all higher end, for sale. And honestly, if I don't like it I believe I'd have little problem getting my money back out. On the net, the Micro was running a close second to the Fulltone or me...so we'll see!

Hey-if you ever get a chance to post your music (you with a digital recorder and all.. [biggrin] ) I'll bet a bunch of us would like to hear!

Everybody: MAYBE there should be a forum to showcase tunes / gear reviews...all featuring Gibson guitars...of course...!

Brian

Archived