Gibson Brands Forums

NAD....

Kelvinator

A friend who sells for our local music store had been telling me how good the little Rumble amps are ever since the new models came out. Being in 2 bands since February, I've been playing 2 jobs almost every weekend and was getting tired of lugging my Ampeg cabs around - always needing help moving them. So last week I bought a Rumble 500.

All I can say is I should have done it sooner! I'm amazed at how good this little 36 pound amp sounds; the preamp is excellent with bass, low-mid, high-mid, treble, mid-scoop, and a bright switch. It has two Eminence 10s and a tweeter. I've been using it with the little Bugera 2 X 10 cab giving me four 10s and 500 watts; plenty of power - and I can carry both the Fender & Bugera (about 75 lbs total) in one trip! I've never owned a rig that didn't add up to almost 200 pounds or one that was so inexpensive, so I'm loving this little combo. msp_thumbup.gif

• 1 month later...

I've been using the Rumble 500 combo for almost 2 months now and I'm still impressed. I've tried it by itself at 2 small venues and it did well, but it sounds so much better when I add the Bugera 2X10 cab and utilize the full 500 watts; more punch and deeper lows. I believe the Turbosound 10s in the Bugera are more efficient than the 10s in the Fender, and I'm very happy with the little cab; it works great with the Rumble. A huge plus is being able to easily carry it all myself, and put everything in the trunk of my car - no Suburban needed! msp_biggrin.gif

I have 3 very nice (and heavy) Ampeg cabs that are probably going on Craig's list soon...

One of the biggest and most painful regrets i ever had was dumping my Acoustic 360 system cuz it was big and a pain to lug around.

In those days circa 73/76 i had a 63 Thunderbird II that i played through that system and i'll never forget that unbelievable sound ...

What a rumble!!! Maybe think about dumping your Ampegs a little more, just sayin!!

Cheers,

bink

One of the biggest and most painful regrets i ever had was dumping my Acoustic 360 system cuz it was big and a pain to lug around.

In those days circa 73/76 i had a 63 Thunderbird II that i played through that system and i'll never forget that unbelievable sound ...

What a rumble!!! Maybe think about dumping your Ampegs a little more, just sayin!!

Cheers,

bink

That Acoustic was a great setup back then. Too bad you let it go.

Cheers,

bink

That's good advice Bink. I have been thinking about keeping my 8 ohm Ampeg Pro series 15 to use for large outside venues. That cab with the Bugera 2x10 make a great combination pushed by the Markbass SD-800. We almost always put the whole band thru a FOH system, so all I need is stage volume; the little Fender with the Bugera are more than enough for that.msp_thumbup.gif

Kelvinator...where did you get it?? World??

Yep. Mark S. had been trying to sell me one since they first came out, then Tom (Lake Effect singer) bought a Rumble 40 at their warehouse sale. Tom brought the 40 to rehearsal for me to try, and I was amazed at how good that little practice amp sounded, so I got the 500 from Mark at World of Music ($440.00 on sale!). I got the Bugera for $250.00 from Sweetwater, and it's turned out to be the best sounding 2X10 cab I've ever heard. So for $690.00 I have a great sounding 4X10 rig that I can easily move myself - for the first time in 48 years!

I've been playing with Key West Express and Lucky Dog since February, and there's been quite a bit of work. It's so nice not lugging 100+ lb cabinets around, and still having plenty of power and great tone.msp_biggrin.gif I'm not sure if I'm getting older and weaker, or just older and smarter...eusa_think.gif

Tom S. and I have been friends for years. Key West Express I have seen once...Boyd Baker's band. Lucky Dog I'm not familiar with. I'm glad you are doing so well.

I'll be home from the 3rd of Sept until the 9th. I have an invitation to see my old group the (Blues Beaters) @ Bullfrog's on Friday the 4th. Maybe I'll go.

Glad your new rig is on the mark. Nothin' feels better than new equipment that works well and is easy to transport. They make hand trucks for old men like me....

Tom S. and I have been friends for years. Key West Express I have seen once...Boyd Baker's band. Lucky Dog I'm not familiar with. I'm glad you are doing so well.

I'll be home from the 3rd of Sept until the 9th. I have an invitation to see my old group the (Blues Beaters) @ Bullfrog's on Friday the 4th. Maybe I'll go.

Glad your new rig is on the mark. Nothin' feels better than new equipment that works well and is easy to transport. They make hand trucks for old men like me....

Key West & Lucky Dog are the same band - just different set lists ( Jimmy Buffet with KWE, and good music with Lucky Dog). Still playing with Lake Effect too, but we're looking for a good guitarist; so if you want to move back to the winter wonderland... msp_scared.gif I'll see if Tom wants to go to Bullfrogs next Friday - It would be good to see you.

Archived