Gibson Brands Forums

Trad Pro xxx With Particular Features Available?

catbeasy

Hello all..new to the forum..never owned a LP, but do have a epi, which i bought in 1994 Korean made, I think the actual year is a 1992.Anyway, have had that guitar for over 20 years now and it hasn't failed me, still works fine, electronics and all..but I have a bit of extra cash and thought I'd purchase a Gibson LP. I have been perusing the internet for info as I know next to nothing about them. From the info I've gathered, I think I've boiled it down to a trad pro xxx. I don't care if its a two, three or whatever and I'm not hung up on the pups since, if I don't like what comes stock, they can be easily replaced.

What I am hung up on mostly is colour. And unfortunately, there's really only one colour I'm interested in, so it really narrows my friggin choices! But! If I'm gonna spend a grip on a nice guitar, I want it to be the right colour and yes, to have some other features as well..but like the pups, most of the other features can probably be replaced . It appears I'm not alone in this matter, I've seen a lot of posts from others who want that balance of looks, tone and playability.

So, with that in mind, I would like to know if anyone knows if I can get any version of a trad pro (original, II or III) of any year, with the following features; the top two are the only ones that I must have (colour/neck) since they can't realistically be adjusted, but if push came to shove, I could deal with no coil split/boost and might be able to replace the tone/volume controls to push/push and get them in the specific style I like.

Oh, one other thing, it absolutely cannot have that new 2015 horrible Les Paul 100 anniversary signature. Whoever put that on there should be fired! ;) It is ugly, looks like my 2 year old scribbled on it..

ok, here's the requirements:

1. Colour: Tobacco Burst (Not Tobacco Sun burst - the edge is too bright - I want a dark edge - bordering on black - which is what I think the tobacco burst is versus the 'SUN' Burst).

2. 60's neck style

3. Coil Split with boost: Push type volume/tone controls NOT the push/pull kind, but the kind you push once to engage and push again to disengage - i think they are called push/push.

4. 'Regular' tuning machine (NOT the G-force auto-tune) with the yellow tuning keys/pegs.

Here is the essential colour:

gibson-guitar-parts.jpg

Here is an example of the style of the push/push pots:

Electronics-Control-Knobs-jpg.aspx?width=300&height=200

Thanks for any help!!!

Probably best to look on ebay. They were limited edition guitars so I doubt you would find one new. Over here in the UK they sold out of the second version last year in most stores. I guess they will release a third version at some point, but I haven't heard of a Trad Pro III yet! I have the first version (Goldtop) and they all came with push/ pull pots, so you'll probably want to go for the second version (btw, they had a choice of 50's or 60's style necks on the second version, the first was just 60's).

I'm sure I've seen them come up from time to time second hand.

Good luck with the search.

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you're on the right track, but if you absolutely have to have tobacco burst it will make you're search a tough one and you may need to mod the electronics heavily to add the coil splitting and boost features as found stock on the 2013/14 Trad Pro II's or new Trad Pro III's.

My 2013 Trad Pro II has nearly everything you're looking for except it is vintage burst and doesn't have the vintage tuning buttons. The tuners are chrome, but they are locking. The new Trad Pro III's are plain tops, so no flame, otherwise very similar to the Trad Pro IIs with different pups.

Here are some pics of my Trad Pro II (I really need to take it outside and get some good ones, these don't do the beauty of this guitar justice). Good luck in your search!

Full_zps79c169c5.jpg

LowerBout_zps9d237b00.jpg

I also have a 2013 TP II. Aside from color it should fill your needs. Mine also is a vintage burst. It has the 60 neck profile, coil taps and boost. As mentioned abve tuners are locking but i like them. I eeally like mine, it is my first LP. Overall it is a purchade i am very happy with.

Thanks to everyone for posting. Much appreciated! Looks like I may have to compromise a bit. My epi is black and I like the colour, but wanted something a bit different..maybe I might look at the black ones..or maybe I could get one custom made from Gibson? I'm kinda attached to my arms and legs though! ; )

Thanks again for the feedback..!

Archived