Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguard on/off question when selling.

GuitarDigger

I leave them off my guitars mostly cos I just prefer the look and you get to see the whole top...

BUT if selling.. Id say if it has the holes in it already leave it on.. Plus the pickguard for a LP does give it the proper classic look which is what people will go for (id say anyway :))

Your Les Paul is like any other collectable. Leave it on, because everything that takes it away from stock, decreases the value. It's sort of like saying I am selling a 57 Corvette, but it has no bumpers" . let the buyer decide if they want it off and let them do it. I like having pick guard, because it protect your finish.

Guest Farnsbarns

Taking the pg off will not effect the value, even if you lose it they are avalable as a spare part. If you're selling it, picture the guitar with it both on and off.

How much are you asking?

It shouldn't make much difference if you have it off, but include the fact that the original pickguard will be included with the sale. As Farns mentions, it's probably best for the photos to show it both ways.

Like Farnsbarns says, you need photos of it both ways. If it has been drilled for the pickguard, put it on. But some of us would also want to see the top without the guard as it may be hiding some damage. A pickguard is an inexpensive replacement part. It should not devalue the guitar if it is not in the photos. I prefer the look without a pickguard. If you are selling it, what is the harm of having photos of it both ways?

Archived