Gibson Brands Forums

NGD and OGAD

MorrisrownSal

Well friends... I did get a new Martin D35. It really isn't Grunt's fault; it is mine and mine alone. I love it. So that is the New Guitar Day (NGD) part of the post.

The Old Guitar Appreciation Day (OGAD) part comes from the fact that I can't bring myself to comply with a rule I have had for five years... one in and one out. I cant bring myself to sell any of my three Gibsons. At a jam the night before last, both the D35 and the Bird got workouts. One of my guitar friends wanted to buy my Hummingbird. I couldn't do it. I think I will just loosen the strings on the D15 I have, and store it in its case somewhere away from spousal attention, so that it doesn't look like I have another guitar... :)

d3e368965c5e74cc6b1c7cfcb4a11629_zpspb7jxx45.jpg

Ahhh . . . A D-35.

Where's the pic of the back?

You've got pretty good will power sticking to that 1I1O rule for this long. I prefer the J1M rule - Just 1 More. . . B)

Congrat and enjoy all your guitars.

. .

Ahhh . . . A D-35.

Where's the pic of the back?

You've got pretty good will power sticking to that 1I1O rule for this long. I prefer the J1M rule - Just 1 More. . . B)

Congrat and enjoy all your guitars.

. .

Thanks BK! These are cruddy phone pics... Hope they'll do. The rosewood sides are more impressive - they are actually liquid creamy... very weird, very beautiful, but most importantly this is just a real nice sounding guitar...

5f958b601c1156655d954e5bf3a8dea4_zpszsblaz7s.jpg

f18def25a1c90d7456894912c4f63f99_zpsav4o1bin.jpg

Congrats.

And I do have to say you appear to be very well organized. My stuff is scattered in every nook and cranny in the house. Pretty much an offshoot of my personality.

I am starting to think there should be a support group for those afflicted with the one in and one out syndrome. I took that particular vow many years ago and think I lived up to it once. It gets even tougher when you all of a sudden realize that many of your guitars are not replaceable either because they cost so flippin' much these days or are almost extinct and you could spend a lifetime looking for another at any price. Looking at what is here and of those that would bring over $1500 the only one that is expendable is my 1946 LG-2. Not that hard to find and they can still be had at a decent price.

Nice addition Sal i am starting to have the same problem so many great guitars must buy more. Did you pick her up in our happy place in Asbury Park?

Thanks spank... No Asbury. Wildwood.

Although if you want some decent D35s (I havent seen them), Asbury just emailed me pictures of some real interesting D35s they got in - Exotic rosewood backs... Camodian and Honduran.

They are just too rich in price for my blood...

Like that 35. Is it an HD, or straight D? One in one out is a nice thought, but you need to invoke the "time relative" treatment. There is a proper time for all things, and the timeframe for one in one out ought to be at least a year.

Like the new one, Sal. I have a friend who has an ancient D35. They get real nice. Like the Southern Jumbo also. Saw your post on the AG. If it's the SJ how about letting me know!

steve

Thanks spank... No Asbury. Wildwood.

Although if you want some decent D35s (I havent seen them), Asbury just emailed me pictures of some real interesting D35s they got in - Exotic rosewood backs... Camodian and Honduran.

They are just too rich in price for my blood...

Wildwood Guitars or Wildwood Music?

Wildwood Music has such a great selection of Martins that I try to avoid their website unless I'm in the market for one

Sal, one in one out is just a guideline not a hard and fast rule. Plus it only counts on "regular guitars" not the icons or really special ones. Those ones you don't have to worry about because you can get most of your money back out of them.(at least that is how I rationalize it to myself).

Good choice (said the since-1991-D-35-owner ) - and a sign of style to actually purchase one in the 50 anniversary year.

I for my part would have gone for a broken in ex from the 80's or 70's as they sound so strong and loose at the same time.

But what a convincing trio - you'll get an invaluable knowledge of the creatures when playing them back'n'forth on a daily basis (and please report).

I mean, you'll get to understand the different natures of the respective guitars in a way no one with only one of them could ever dream of. . . .

So be glad, Sal - well, I sense you are

;-)

Congrats, Sal. D-35's are mighty fine instruments. Nothing beats NGD!

Regarding spousal eyes on your ever growing collection... I have found that "trying" to sell one by running an online ad (maybe the price is a little high) will buy you some time.

Congratulations are in order. I have never played a D-35 of any kind. They are not in the shops here in Sweden. How is the tone different from a straight D-28?

Due to the slightly lighter bracing, the 35 would project a bit stronger, thus typically offer more bass.

Obviously the 35 isn't better than the 28 - but perhaps a more generous dread. Still it is nothing like a scalloped guitar.

Congratulations Sal.

I tried to cure GAS by building a rack that would only hold 7 cases. Two are old guitars I've always had, so when I got the 0018H Geoff Muldaur I knew one of the 5 newer ones had to go, but much to my surprise I found the rack can hold 8 if you really try [thumbup]

Rich

Congrats, Sal! I knew it wouldn't be long until a D35 was in your possession and I'm not surprised the Hummingbird is staying, either. That Bird is a special one. I remember it at Russo's.

No idea what your entire inventory might be, but the ones you've mentioned are all keepers. Maybe your number of permanent guitars needs to be one guitar higher. From now on, it's one-in/one-out.

Yeah, sure. I think nine is my current number and I'm thinking cheap laminates don't count, so it's really seven, which means I could still add three?

GAS math!

Awesome...enablers...

Let's count them out, and I won't include what I gave my sons.

D35BirdSJTVD15LG2-AEGretsch BoxcarCheap Gretsch bass.Pono cheap Uke.Mexi-Tele.

That's all she wrote! I like Smurfs math... The bottom four are cheap... They don't count! So that means five!

Congrats, Sal. D-35's are mighty fine instruments. Nothing beats NGD!

Regarding spousal eyes on your ever growing collection... I have found that "trying" to sell one by running an online ad (maybe the price is a little high) will buy you some time.

Ha ha ha!

Now here we have a true thinking guitarist!

I just haven't been able to sell it, honey! I tried! [glare]

BluesKing777.

So impressed by these guitars after BBG's initial posting and a bit of research...and now Big Sal! Well done mate.

I went to mum (if she was still with us) and said " Aw Mum..BBG and Sal have a D35, why can't I????"

She replied" If BBG and Sal jumped off a cliff would you?!!"...

Mum can be such a party pooper.

Archived