Gibson Brands Forums

Es339 v Vintage Lemondrop

pieandapint

Just bought a Vintage Lemondrop (v100pgm) off eBay for £230......action,fit,finish and sound fantastic......compared to my Gibson es339 at £1800 which needed a set up, a new nut, a new bridge, nut sauce etc to try to keep it in tune, which it still doesn't . What am I not getting.

...my Gibson es339......needed a new bridge......

Eh?

[blink]

Why on Earth did your 339 need a new bridge to help it keep in tune? It's such a simplistic piece of engineering that there's hardly that much which can go wrong!

Trevor Wilkinson is a smart and talented designer and the Vintage 100 is a very good guitar - quite a few current forumites also have one - but so, obviously, is the 339.

No idea why yours has had so many issues. Where did you buy it?

The dealership should have sorted out all of the issues you mention before it was sold. There's no excuse for it to have been allowed to leave the shop in such a state.

The Vintage also has had the advantage of being made here in the UK whereas the Gibson has been shipped a couple of thousand miles. It's not unusual for any guitar which has been shipped in such a manner to require some set-up work but IMO, as I said earlier, the dealership should have carried out that work before letting it go out the door.

Did you buy the Vintage new or used? If used then it's possible that, when it was new, the V100 also needed to receive a proper set-up by the original owner..........

P.

I hate posts like this. I'm waiting for someone to come on and tell us they had to change the top on their guitar beacuse it didn't have any sustain. It's clear there is more wrong in the story than what could have been wrong with the guitar. I wish the internet cop would come out at times like this and say..."Move along folks - there's nothing to see here."

• 2 weeks later...

Always glad to hear good reports of a less well known guitar. Especially a low priced one.

Sorry to hear about your ES-339 problems. Maybe you could give some technical details in the appropriate area. There are luthiers here. I can think of a couple of possible causes myself, but without more info its all just guesswork.

I'm going to checkout some Vintage Lemondrop details just out of curiousity now. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an Epiphone 339 bought in preference to the Gibson and wouldn't change a thing on it. Bought it and played about 30 songs on it at a gig never wanting to change guitars. What interested me about this post is the Vintage guitar reference. I always ignored them and Fret King as being irrelevant against the big names but now I'm not so sure. Trevor Wilkinson seems like a very genuine guy and both brands seem to be very well regarded. I really want to like Gibsons but haven't picked one up yet within my price range that feels as good as my Epiphones. I can't understand it. I had a nice Les Paul Studio a few years ago and it was really well made but just too heavy.

I've read a lot about Gibson guitars being of variable quality but the budget brands seem to be able to make consistently well made guitars. Can anyone explain this?

I hate posts like this. I'm waiting for someone to come on and tell us they had to change the top on their guitar beacuse it didn't have any sustain. It's clear there is more wrong in the story than what could have been wrong with the guitar. I wish the internet cop would come out at times like this and say..."Move along folks - there's nothing to see here."

I agree.......

Archived