Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul LPM 2015

Kenan

I'm kinda considering purchasing this guitar. The only real reason for this would be the fact that I managed to accumulate some funds and would therefore like to add Gibson to my collection. I'm a happy owner of Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (Herritage Sunburst) and I love it. It looks amazing (the finish) and plays really nice.

The finish of the LPM to me, doesn't look as "sexy" (I'm aware they had to cut some corners there due to the price tag) though I have no doubt it's a fine quality guitar and it's got some really nice reviews online. This Gibson is not as pricey and this is what made me seriously consider purchasing it. So, is there anything I should know about it before pulling the trigger? Pros and Cons etc?

Thanks in advance.

I'm kinda considering purchasing this guitar. The only real reason for this would be the fact that I managed to accumulate some funds and would therefore like to add Gibson to my collection. I'm a happy owner of Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (Herritage Sunburst) and I love it. It looks amazing (the finish) and plays really nice.

The finish of the LPM to me, doesn't look as "sexy" (I'm aware they had to cut some corners there due to the price tag) though I have no doubt it's a fine quality guitar and it's got some really nice reviews online. This Gibson is not as pricey and this is what made me seriously consider purchasing it. So, is there anything I should know about it before pulling the trigger? Pros and Cons etc?

Thanks in advance.

My opinion would be to spend an extra $80 on a Gibson Les Paul Studio. Not just because of the better looking finish. The Studio has a slighly better quality of wood. The main thing is the Les Paul Studio has much better electrionics/pickups. The 57/classic and super 57in the studio are what I have in my 2015 Gibson les paul Classic. Plus the studioalso has the push/pull coil splits like my 2015 classic which gives you way more tonal and sound options than a LPM. Most of the electronics in the 2015 Studio are in my 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic which cost $2,279. I'm not a big fan of the 61 pickups in the LPM. I would rather spend the extra 80 dollars for the Studio. You'll be getting a much better guitar.

I agree with everything scottpaine_69 said. The only option the LPM offered that I preferred when comparing it to the Studio was the rounded rather than slim profile neck. It's odd. I love the slim profile on my old SG and current 336 but, I'm so very glad my 2002 Les Paul studio sported the larger rounded profile. It just feels right when I've got a Les Paul strapped on.

I would also point out that the resale value on a model, (like the studio), that's been a staple of the Les Paul line for many years will probably be more than the initial extra $80.00 to purchase.

Ok. I just noticed in my local shop Gibson LP Studio 2014 is almost the same price as the LPM 2015.

I would perhaps rather go with the 2014 version of the Studio then if there are no major differences between the 2014 and 2015 models? Hmmm...

Ok. I just noticed in my local shop Gibson LP Studio 2014 is almost the same price as the LPM 2015.

I would perhaps rather go with the 2014 version of the Studio then if there are no major differences between the 2014 and 2015 models? Hmmm...

a lot of people don't like the 2015 models, hologram, Tuning robot, super wide neck, Brass nut. But there's only one way for you to know play them both.

I would go for the 2014 thought as the 2015 have had a lot of problems and will be harder selling it later if you do.

I know that they're plain Jane, nut I really like my 2014 LPJ. I have a Standard and the LPJ, and so I have fancy looks when I want them, and my superb basic satin look too. I will say that if the price is about the same, definitely go for the Studio. I like the Goldtop Tribute. That is an awesome top for not much money. The only thing is that they look as if they're bound, but they're not. It's a well-placed paint line that makes an unpainted Maple line look for all the world like a wood binding. I don't know how they do it, but they really do a nice job on that paint line. Whoever places the masking tape is a REAL artist! I guess I would go for the Studio, and I for one really like the 120th twelfth fret inlay. Plus, until the Chinese start putting that inlay on their Chibsons, it should act as a bit of fraud insurance. The Chinese will probably begin copying that inlay about last week.

The only thing I don't like about the 2015 Les Paul's is the goofy golden signature up on the headstock.

It looks like cursive writing with 'Les Paul 100' displayed.

Not a fan.

Kenan, I would try out LOT of Les Pauls if I were you, sir.

Give a bunch of them a test-drive, and only buy the one that sings to you when it's in your hands.

Thanks for the info. Studio is weight-relieved? How does that impact the sound? I thought the fuller the wood, the better the sound?

I've always thought that the heavier the better. The LPM has the 9 hole weight releive. The Studio is the modern weight releive. Here is a link to the 2014 that shows the differance between the 2 styles of weight releive.

The LPM

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/LPM.aspx

The Studio

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-Studio.aspx

I prefer the 9 hole but would rather have non-weight releive but that would be a $3,000 Traditional. I would still pick the Studio over the LPM The differance in weight is only ounces.. Hope The link Helps..

^^Thanks for the link.

One question though: does the nice blonde lady come with the Studio or is it a separate purchase?

[biggrin]

No I think She's an optional extra, a bit more case candy! I've never played a 2015 model Gibson, but going off a lot of reports on here, I think I might be inclined to look at the 2014 guitar. Having said that, you really need to play both, I know a lot of people don't like the wider neck on the 2015's but I'm pretty sure you'd soon get used to it, I've never had a problem with any guitar neck myself, you've just got to give it time.

Good luck & happy hunting,

Ian

I'll add my .02$ as the lone dissenter. I love my LPM (granted I did take off the Zero Fret for a Bone nut, and G-Force for Tone Pros Kluson's). It's weighs a decent amount and has a bright tone that just snarls. I did take out the 61s for a JB neck and a ToneZone in the bridge (61s were just too bright with not enough snarl). I also took out the circuit board and rewired traditionally.

I for one love the wider maple neck. I though it might be an issue at first as I play thumb over, but I find it quite comfortable for long periods of playing. I'm not really happy about a 4 piece body, but the grain is nice, and it has good weight. It does have great sustain.

Granted, I did change quite a bit in with the guitar, but, I am quite happy with it. YMMV.

Thanks for the info. Studio is weight-relieved? How does that impact the sound? I thought the fuller the wood, the better the sound?

Don't worry about that.. Most Les Pauls have been weight relieved in some way or another since the mid 80s...

A302xxsa8381_zpsa8sckk0y.jpg

The only time it seems to make a difference is when they have a full chambered body which Gibson used on some models (around 2008)... And those guitars can be a bit brighter sounding...

But this is the thing with guitar weights.. People (including myself) seem to assume the heavier and more solid the better.. In fact some of the early LPs made in the 50s were lighter than most Standards than we have ever seen.. This is due to the density of the wood they were using at that time.. Obviously today they generally use modern planted trees which grow much denser wood (thus why they started weight relief when in the 70s LPs were coming in at like 11 to 15Lbs or so)...

So it comes down to the individual pieces of wood as to how heavy the guitar will be... and is nothing worth worrying about. It really doesn't mean much apart from how sore your shoulder and back are after a jam :)

As ALWAYS.. the best and ONLY real way to tell what you want is to play as many as you can... Even if you play more than one of the same model (ask if they have more in the back) you will see some differences in set up and playability... there really is no other short cut.. We can help you narrow down the choices a bit but you are the one that has to play it, and we all have different tastes so one mans bad guitar is another mans great guitar.

But of course we do expect some pictures when you find your baby [thumbup] Good luck with the hunt, its well worth taking your time on this :)

Guest Farnsbarns

I've always thought that the heavier the better. The LPM has the 9 hole weight releive. The Studio is the modern weight releive. Here is a link to the 2014 that shows the differance between the 2 styles of weight releive.

The LPM

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/LPM.aspx

The Studio

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-Studio.aspx

I prefer the 9 hole but would rather have non-weight releive but that would be a $3,000 Traditional. I would still pick the Studio over the LPM The differance in weight is only ounces.. Hope The link Helps..

The varience in weight in one single model is several oz.

The variance in weight in one single model is several oz.

Without wishing to start a bunfight nor a p'ing up the wall contest I have personally experienced variations of well over 2 lb in examples of the same model from the same year.

Weight-relief - whether Swiss-Cheese or Modern - is to all intents and purposes completely undetectable to human hearing. Sonically, in the Real World, it makes not one jot of difference. And I mean from SOLID body instruments. Not just from each other. Anyone who doubts this is more than welcome to take up the challenge here with me. Bring your own guitar and see if you can pick it out from the assembled bunch in a Blind Test.

You Win? You Get To Choose Another Axe From The Selection. You Lose? You Leave Your Guitar Here With Me.

Pretty straightforward......[smile]

As mentioned by Rabs a few posts ago the majority of vintage '58-'60 'bursts (for which we have details) weighed in at a fair bit less less than 9 lb. so weight alone is also pretty meaningless in terms of ascertaining quality-of-end-tone-and-or-anything-else.

We have gone into this ad nauseam many times before but if anyone finds this 'new information' then I'm sure we could go into it all again.

[smile]

Pip.

The lighter weight the better for mine.

Its going to be somewhat subjective but try ones of different weight and judge the resonance and balance/comfort for yourself if you possibly can - you may be surprised by what you find. :)

I think LP Studios are cool (matt black please) but its in the eye of the beholder for sure - the more you like the look of it the more you might want to pick it up and play it!

Archived