Gibson Brands Forums

Hello heres my 59 ES345 RI and a question if I may..

plasticscouse

Here' my 59 Es345 RI from 2014. My first and so far only Gibson an early Christmas and birthday present from my wife last/this year. I love it and it' perfect.

I actually chose it because it was the cheapest 59 Gibson reissue I could get my hands on what with the 225 and 330 not in a local shop. Which leads me on to my question, does anyone know the difference between the my es345 and the 59 es335 that means it nearly £1500 difference in Price and the 345/335 model differences.

The Gibson website indicates that they're both from Memphis. is it more work, or the label of a 59 335? NOt that I really ind or care it's just out of an interest as the 335 was out of my price range and the 345 wasn't.

Thank you

post-72677-034897200 1435433509_thumb.jpg

The 345 is a fancier guitar, the 335 was used by more big name artists hence the price differential.

Strange how things go in the guitar world, isn't it?

Exactly the size of it.

Read any 335 / 345 reviews in the laughable guitar magazines and you can bet your bottom dollar the 335 will be pronounced "best". Idiotic in my view but the idiocy at least keeps the price down for us that know better.

The differences are twofold: 1) No stereo connectivity in the 335, which is present in the 345 and 2) a Varitone 6-way switch.

The stereo output, remains on a 345, because its a historic model, but a newer one might not have it. They may come with both and the user may be baffled why they do this. IDK either; most people use the mono output to other effects. The Varitone just adds weight and complexity to a guitar, as it is a bunch of capacitors wired to vary the aural output of both humbuckers, but you may bypass this, also. This is because the 345 is a historic model.

The collectors like the 335 better as it is a more simpler instrument, without excessive blingy binding and mother-of-pearl inlays. But when Gibson builds a historic model they charge a lot. Both the 335 and 345 have a one piece mahogany neck, as does the 355. The 347 and BBKing models have a 3 piece maple/poplar/maple necks. All ES models use the maple/poplar/maple laminates, even the new ES Les Paul. As the number increases over the 335, there an increase in binding

The newer 335's are dropping in prices as they are now offering a line of Studio models without binding and no '57 PAF pickups, made in Memphis.

The differences in price likely reflect the popularity of the 335 compared to other ES models. The local shop where you got your guitar probably sold many more 335's than that lovely 345 you have. So to get it moving out of the shop it came at a reduced price. If you are a real vintage guitar aficionado, then the 345 might be your cup of tea. But the differences indicate you got more guitar, but you may not use the additional elements, the price not withstanding.

The differences are twofold: 1) No stereo connectivity in the 335, which is present in the 345 and 2) a Varitone 6-way switch.

The stereo output, remains on a 345, because its a historic model,

The more recent Reissues (including my 1959) are mono only.

I used to own a 1964 stereo 345 and I never used it in stereo. I view the stereo aspect much as you view the Varitone. I think the stereo totally useless but the Varitone is what makes the guitar something really special and wayyyyyyy better than any 335. Give me a 345 / 355 over 335 any day of the week.

Personally, I think you got a great deal. I love the inlays & overall look of the 345.I have a 335 block inlay with a Bigsby and love it BUT ever since I saw the Hollies back in the 60s, I've always wanted a 345. Tony Hicks could use its Varitone and make each song sound totally different. I've never seen one at a show or in a store that was cheaper than a 335. I can remember more players in my youth using 345s than 335s.There used to be a pschodelic band called the Bubble Puppy ("Hot Smoke and Sasafras")& he could cover feedback to sticcato picking beautifully.

Great score!!

Archived