Gibson Brands Forums

FT570BL Sheraton acoustic

MichaelDH

Have a chance to get a 70's FT570 BL Sheraton acoustic locally for @ $350.00. They seem to be somewhat rare from what I can find. It is a players guitar, not pristine, but sounds and plays great with low action. My only concern is that, directly behind the bridge, there are a few small cracks in the surface of the top, and I'm wondering if it's an indication of repair that may be needed in the future due to stress. It also looks like one of the braces on the back wall may have been reglued.

Just wanted to get some opinions if it's worth grabbing or passing.

My father bought one new in '75. He only kept it a few months but that was Dad. I remember it being a great guitar.

They seem to bring more than $350 so unless the neck is collapsing into the body I don't see where you can get hurt. If you don't like it after a month you stand a good chance to even make a few bucks.

Edit: I just checked the completed items on ebay and there were two that went in the 300-350 range. Seems like a year ago they were bringing 500-550.

Hmmm... curious.

Have a chance to get a 70's FT570 BL Sheraton acoustic locally for @ $350.00. They seem to be somewhat rare from what I can find. It is a players guitar, not pristine, but sounds and plays great with low action.

Well, it is the top of the line among the FT's, but it's still all laminate (according to epiwiki). If you like the sound and it plays great, well, that's something. On the other hand, you can get a used 2004-2010 Epiphone Masterbilt with solid mahogany back and sides and a solid spruce top for around the same price. I saw a nice DR500MNS with case on ebay a couple weeks back went for $252. [Not sure if that link will work.] I'm pretty sure you'd like the sound of an all-solid-wood guitar better than a laminate. If a guit bought off the web needs a setup, well, that's not too atypical, and also not too expensive.

Just wanted to get some opinions if it's worth grabbing or passing.

BTW, if you do go ebay shopping (or reverb.com), be cognizant that many of those Masterbilts (and other acoustic Epiphones) are refurbished. These may have some small blemish or perhaps a problem that was fixed as mentioned by the seller. Still, these should cost less than a similar non-refurb.

No fair I wanna go ;)

It's nice that they are only 1 1/2 hours from me. Our shop is on shut down this week, so a couple co-workers, my son and I are all going.

I was there on the Saturday of Gearfest, right after their big remodel, and it was so busy and noisy that it was hard to really check out too much. Should be pretty calm today.

Archived