Gibson Brands Forums

heavy heart today...

Searcy

That is truly sad news.

I can't begin to assess quite how much my life was enriched by yourself and all the other boys in the band. Literally Priceless.

RIP, Mr Squire, and thanks so very much for all the music.

I know there are a great many fans of Yes here so thanks for the head's-up, Searcy.

Pip.

While I have always been predominantly a guitar player, I can honestly say that Chris was the one who made me want to pick up a bass for the first time back in 1977 (a Ric of course).

I've always been stunned by his fluidity, creativity and innovative tone. Not really surprised how hard I'm taking this (aside from my own battle with cancer)...he was one of my musical heroes and I really looked up to the man. Tempus Fugit...

RIP Chris... [sad]

I just now found out and I knew I couldn't find a better support group. [sad]

I'm not making this about me but this is the second major loss I've suffered on my oldest son's birthday.

He's 25. Three years ago today I lost my best friend in the world. [crying]

Chris may as well be thought of as the glue that held them together.

He played on every studio album and every tour.

He helped to make my life better.

"Really saddened to hear of the death of my old Yes band-mate, Chris Squire. I shall remember him fondly; one of the twin rocks upon which Yes was founded and, I believe, the only member to have been present and correct, Rickenbacker at the ready, on every tour. He and I had a working relationship built around our differences. Despite, or perhaps because of, the old chestnut about creative tension, it seemed, strangely, to work.

He had an approach that contrasted sharply with the somewhat monotonic, immobile bass parts of today. His lines were important; counter-melodic structural components that you were as likely to go away humming as the top line melody; little stand-alone works of art in themselves. Whenever I think of him, which is not infrequently, I think of the over-driven fuzz of the sinewy staccato hits in Close to the Edge (6’04” and on) or a couple of minutes later where he sounds like a tuba (8’.00”). While he may have taken a while to arrive at the finished article, it was always worth waiting for. And then he would sing a different part on top.

An individualist in an age when it was possible to establish individuality, Chris fearlessly staked out a whole protectorate of bass playing in which he was lord and master. I suspect he knew not only that he gave millions of people pleasure with his music, but also that he was fortunate to be able to do so. I offer sincere condolences to his family."

Adios, partner. Bill Bruford.

I'll never forget him on the CTTE tour. He wore a Long-tailed tux coat and pants slacks trousers with vertical black & white stripes.

I think he had on stacked heels and wore a stovepipe hat. This was back when he was rail thin.

The total effect made him seem 9 feet tall!

Here's hoping that people will remember his artistic influence extended far beyond being a founding member of Yes...

Rest in peace. Wow what an amazing performance. I just watched this twice. Thanks for posting it FF. Thanks for writing and performing it CS.

Archived