Gibson Brands Forums

VAriax Acoustics

vikingtone

I have been re learning this, I had a busking approximation that stands up as a fun thing to play but isn't at all approximate to either the Davey Graham or Bert Jansch versions. Plenty of practice to go to get it up to a reasonable standard but I think I get it now so that´s all just time and application ahead. Very good lesson on this here courtesy of Will Fly.

. I used Wills tab too.

Another line in the sand for the Progress log, keepin on keepin on.

Played on my Variax 900 (Artists Model, less than 50 made) Dreadnaught setting based on a 1961 Martin D21

Made this video when I first got this guitar

I have been re learning this, I had a busking approximation that stands up as a fun thing to play but isn't at all approximate to either the Davey Graham or Bert Jansch versions. Plenty of practice to go to get it up to a reasonable standard but I think I get it now so that´s all just time and application ahead. Very good lesson on this here courtesy of Will Fly.

. I used Wills tab too.

Another line in the sand for the Progress log, keepin on keepin on.

Played on my Variax 900 (Artists Model, less than 50 made) Dreadnaught setting based on a 1961 Martin D21

Made this video when I first got this guitar

What a cool guitar. Sounds great.

I say do a swab of the back of the neck and do a DNA analysis. It bet it was his. We have the technology. He'd have to give permission but what thet hey.

Did it on a mouth swab on my dog in the avatar - 1/2 german shepard 1/2 coyote.

What a cool guitar. Sounds great.

I say do a swab of the back of the neck and do a DNA analysis. It bet it was his. We have the technology. He'd have to give permission but what thet hey.

Did it on a mouth swab on my dog in the avatar - 1/2 german shepard 1/2 coyote.

Hi TMan, our Canine friends have to be the easiest and firmest friendships we forge through life. Dog + Porch + Acoustic Guitar = A contented life. add in

our soul mates a few friends ( Human Variety preferably with thier own Dogs and guitars too and its off to the races, Bliss.

Hi vikingtone, very interesting video. [thumbup] First time I've heard of this guitar. Amazed by the leaps and bounds of technology today.

I really do enjoy your videos.I like your enthusiasm for studying pieces of music and being able to play them in your own style. [thumbup]

kind regards, Emma :)

Hi Emma, the Variax acoustics are not made any more the 900's were only made for endorsed Variax artists back in 2007, I bought mine off e bay the seller had been told it had been James Taylors, The first tune I learned to play on it was Fire and Rain. I must work on singing and playing that one now, great tune and a good doable fingerstyle for anyone wanting to start on that approach to guitar. Yhe 900 Variax is the same electronics as the 700 Acoustics, those are well worth buying they still get good prices on E Bay but they are great guitars as are the Variax Basses. As with the Firebird X much of this technology is ahead of the curve of what people seem to want to buy or understand, I find the technology fascinating and its a great way to have a huge selection of approximations of what a lot of guitars can do, its not the real thing but its a very good taster for finding out what floats your boat. I keep practising and do what I can with the fingers and ears I have I have learned that playing guitar is a journey and not a destination with lots of sightseeing to do along the way. Thanks for the positive comment and best wishes to you too,

Hi Emma, the Variax acoustics are not made any more the 900's were only made for endorsed Variax artists back in 2007, I bought mine off e bay the seller had been told it had been James Taylors, The first tune I learned to play on it was Fire and Rain. I must work on singing and playing that one now, great tune and a good doable fingerstyle for anyone wanting to start on that approach to guitar. Yhe 900 Variax is the same electronics as the 700 Acoustics, those are well worth buying they still get good prices on E Bay but they are great guitars as are the Variax Basses. As with the Firebird X much of this technology is ahead of the curve of what people seem to want to buy or understand, I find the technology fascinating and its a great way to have a huge selection of approximations of what a lot of guitars can do, its not the real thing but its a very good taster for finding out what floats your boat. I keep practising and do what I can with the fingers and ears I have I have learned that playing guitar is a journey and not a destination with lots of sightseeing to do along the way. Thanks for the positive comment and best wishes to you too,

Hi vikingtone, oopps [blush] I only got back into guitars last year after a 10 year break, doing a lot of catch up with all the advances in music technology. The gear that's available now is mind blowing. I recently purchased a BOSS BR80 digital recorder, it does everything that I need to get my ideas down, it amazes me how something so small can do so much. I still have my Tascam 4 track cassette recorder, it's massive compared to the new recorder. To think all those years ago when I was playing, the amount of equipment I would have needed, not to mention space.

I too am enjoying playing the guitar, gives a calmness, sense of freedom and satisfaction from working out pieces of music.

Recently I've been sorting out all my old guitar magazines, that I had tucked away in the attic, got them all in order. Watching your video and seeing you play 'Fire and Rain' I knew I had to get my copy of this piece out. Looking forward to studying this beautiful tune. :)

Kind regards, Emma :)

Archived