Gibson Brands Forums

Is it wise to collect les pauls?

MarlleyB

Expensive yes! But I would ask why? What makes a Les Paul Collectable? Isn't it because they way they look or the way great guitarist brought out the awesomeness of an LP.

To those who are married like me, it becomes a question of time (how much can I dedicate to playing all those guitars on my wall), how many (how much more wall space will the family be willing to let me have to display them) and money (how much more can I spend before the dog house becomes my abode). No, giving up the family is not an option. if you are single and rich...no problem, but to play them all and to play them all well...nice goal. But, after life who gets them?

Ever seen a Hurst pulling a U-Haul :)

i love them, but as an investment, no way. there are tons of better things one might instead do. but as a collection? it would be fun, as long as i could afford it. [thumbup]

i love the real blingy ones, like the LP supreme. or the bill kelleher golden axe-plorer. the johnny a. i would love to see a blinged up 335.

? "collectable" ?

Nah..

but if you like them and want to own several, whos to stop ya!

if you have the cash -- DO IT...

I have two LP Standards, and I honestly can't see a reason at the moment to go after a 3rd..

I also have 2 SGs, 2 Strats,, I can't see the need for pursuing any more of these...

the next item on the list is a J200, which is about the same cost as an LP Standard right now..

Oh to have MONEY...

Hearse pulling a U-Haul! ha!

and totally ME!

From guitars that I have owned, maybe. I bought a Les Paul in 1980 for about $900. The guy who owns it turned down $3000. I know, because I'm the one who tried to buy it. If You select carefully, and take real good care of them, they will probably keep up with dollar inflation, and cost of living. No dings on the top, and no MAJOR damage anywhere.

Collect what you like. I knew a guy who "collected" Thomas Kinkade "paintings." He bought one a year. He didn't like them, but he said it was his "retirement fund." Well, when the market crashed on them, he was stuck with a bunch of "paintings" he didn't like.

A Gibson guitar makes a fine collectable. If I had a couple grand laying around every year, I'd probably collect something else.

I started to do the same thing. Shortly after buying my third one, I decided to go in a different direction and traded one of my LP's for an ES335. Good decision for me, but I know how great the temptation is to acquire multiple LP's. Go with what makes you happy. If you buy right and hold on to them long term you may break even or possibly make a few bucks. If it's only a hobby it's ok. If it is an investment for your future, IMO you will lose money.

Kenny V

Archived