Gibson Brands Forums

How's this hummingbird look?

Red Wine Bird

Hey all,

First-time poster here. I've just purchased a '95 Hummingbird and couldn't stop fretting (no pun intended) about some wearing of the stock pickguard (poor guy's beak and some flower tops were gone). I've purchased a new guard from Fuller's, which is considerably lighter in color than the original. You can see me in the attached pic holding the new guard up to the guitar.

I'm looking for opinions re: how everyone thinks this looks. I'd be keeping the old one in case there were concerns about authenticity etc when it came time to sell.

What's everyone think?post-72814-032586600 1435679437_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on this Bird and hello. Good to see the wine represented here also.

Regarding the guard, you have to be very fond of the flora/fauna motif to exchange the original.

Of course many people are and the choice is highly personal.

Not sure I would do it - the contrast of the darker one suits the held back red so nicely where the new tends to blend with the top. Well that's fine to. .

No matter what - Enjoy

Welcome. Congrats. Really pretty 'Bird.

The old pg looks fine. I'd save the new one in the case.

You aren't going to replace the new one in a few years when some of the paint wears off, are you?

In 20 years, when the guitar shows dings, scuffs and mojo from being played and loved - you'll want the PG wear to be consistent.

Otherwise, it'll look like a '55 Chevy - that someone put low profile tires and spinners on. G'Luck.

I'd keep the original pickguard on. The darker tint gives better contrast than the newer one. IMO, the new one would have to match the wine red perfectly, or be as dark as the old one- anything in between is just a little too distracting.

You could also look for a country western pickguard that is the same shape, but uses the darker tort.

I like the replacement....really like the guitar as well the wine color is cool I don't think I have ever seen one like it before. Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the forum, there is a lot of great people here with so much knowledge I think you will like it.

I like the replacement....really like the guitar as well the wine color is cool I don't think I have ever seen one like it before. Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the forum, there is a lot of great people here with so much knowledge I think you will like it.

I guess the new pickgaurd still has a plastic sheet on its back which in most cases is white! The guard will appear totally different when you take of that sheet and attach it to a dark background.

Is it an original gibson guard? May I ask how much you payed for it?

I guess the new pickgaurd still has a plastic sheet on its back which in most cases is white! The guard will appear totally different when you take of that sheet and attach it to a dark background.

Good point - but it will only make the new flora/fauna blend even more, won't it. .

Thanks for the thoughtful replies, guys.

Welcome. Congrats. Really pretty 'Bird.

The old pg looks fine. I'd save the new one in the case.

You aren't going to replace the new one in a few years when some of the paint wears off, are you?

In 20 years, when the guitar shows dings, scuffs and mojo from being played and loved - you'll want the PG wear to be consistent.

Otherwise, it'll look like a '55 Chevy - that someone put low profile tires and spinners on. G'Luck.

Thanks for the compliment. I definitely hear you here - I think my main gripe with the current guard is that it's got wear which I didn't myself inflict on it. I believe I'll embrace the wearing of the design/motif if it's just a consequence of my own playing, as well as any dings etc that might end up affecting the body. Currently it feels used in sort of a dirty, impersonal way.

Here's a question for you, is your original guard thick and plastic like the new Hummingbirds, or is it thin like a J-45 guard?

The original guard which remains on the guitar is quite thin and I believe preceded the change to a thicker model. As for the new one, it's also a thin firm guard, not rubbery at all. The design is etched rather than painted over. When I called Fuller's to ask for the replacement (after a non-response from Gibson and browsing through a thousand counterfeits on ebay), he actually offered me a choice between a new, thicker, rubbery version which is used on the modern classic and which "won't wear off" - versus a traditional etched and thinner guard which is more traditional but will eventually wear off (I believe as is on the true vintage models nowadays, although those seem to be more bright red than mine).

Is it an original gibson guard? May I ask how much you payed for it?

Awesome observation - that makes the whole question much more interesting. Honestly the thing doesn't look transparent when I'm looking at it, although I guess with just a solid sheet stuck to the back it'd be impossible to tell. I paid $150 for the guard and waited about a week before shipping while they had it delivered from Gibson. I know a guy who haggled and got it for $100 (and who tipped me off as to where to actually get an authentic one in the first place), but I'm not much of a haggler and was just grateful to find a place which could get it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a matter of taste really. You know what? I like them both, the old one for the mojo, the new one for the classy look😊 so I would leave the old one just to avoid any trouble ( am I a lazy git?😀😀)

Congrat for the beautiful guitar👍

Max

• 2 weeks later...

Hey so I'm picking up the guitar this weekend - will post a pic with the new guard on it in case anyone is interested in how it turned out. My luthier sprayed it over with a coat of clear lacquer to try and delay any deterioration of the new design with use. This is much appreciated although I think if it's my own wear and tear (rather than a series of strangers who owned the guitar prior) I won't mind it so much.

Just yesterday I came across a post on some random site: someone's guard was curling upward and he/she was blaming this on a coat of lacquer sprayed over the pickguard prior to installation. Pardon my near-total lack of experience but... is anyone familiar with this happening, and should I be worried about it? The luthier I use is absolutely amazing, and so I doubt he'd have done this if it were anything to worry about. I just figured it was worth asking whether anyone had experienced it.

Archived