Gibson Brands Forums

Age.

LarryUK

I've played from 11 and gave up at 28. Then started again a few years back. I'm better now than I was then as the information available is enormous.

Anyhow. I'm 56 now and Id love to gig again, but I feel too old. Is it ridiculous to want to play original material at 56? I don't expect to be a star, just happy.

The groupies will be a little bit saggier but the good news is everyone's eyesight degenerates over time so I'd say go for it!

They probably won't want to stay up very late, either, so that's another plus.

Yup I hear ya on that...

Ive also been playing on and off since I was 11 (secondary school)... I stopped for a few years when I was 13 and then discovered rock in my mid teens and started again this time on electric and taught myself everything all over again (but I can still play Greensleeves :)).. Was in a band at 18 for about 3/4 years.. since then ive just been a home player with maybe the odd jam here and there over the years...

Im just over 40 now and yes like you id love to play live again.. When I looked online at wanted musicians for bands they were nearly all about 21 years old and in to stuff ive never heard of...

But I don't think theres really an age limit if you just wanna play for fun... Ive also thought about maybe trying to write tunes for other people.. There are sites out there where you can upload a tune and people who make TV, Adverts and Films will browse through the music available and if your tune gets picked, you get paid...

Never really taken it any further.. But then my time these days is more geared towards making guitars than playing them...

Hey, I'm 59 and busier than I have been in years. I am fortunate that I relocated to a small village in the middle of who knows where and not too much in the way of competition, but if you feel so inclined Loosen up those shoulders, tuck your head in, and go, baby go!

I sit here and play to myself, I enjoy playing the music I grew up with ( the hippie ) music. Biggest mistake I made I sold my old guitars and bought new ons.I still have a 1928 Washburn my grandfather left me,most of the time you'lll hear me playing Lynyrd Skynyrd,Who. ect but I enjoy it.

4H

I am still gigging at 61.

Is it right? It aint wrong. There are older than me out there, and you know about the elder pros yourself.

Is it embarrassing? Not unless I make a mistake.

Is it enjoyable. Yes, apart from lumping the gear around.

Does it pay? Absolutely not. I play in a 7 piece band.

At 55 I get to play out live about 6 times a year. Several gigs that are annual events that I'm asked to do, as well as playing in the house band for an R&B revival type thing.(fantastic time)

I've spoken to the members of the last successful band I was in about getting back together but as of now they are too busy to commit.

oh well I can dream can't I?

Anyhow. I'm 56 now and Id love to gig again, but I feel too old. Is it ridiculous to want to play original material at 56? I don't expect to be a star, just happy.

Not at all. As long as you aren't trying to pull off doom metal in front of 20 somethings. I'm 52 and started gigging regularly again last year after a very long hiatus. We play nearly every weekend now - sometimes three nights in a row. The bright side is we need a lot less sleep now - this comes in handy when driving home at 2 am I find. [biggrin]

I have a biased opinion since I too am 56. I am just learning guitar and doing so with no intentions of performing for a large audience or for money but if I could i would. Go for it and enjoy yourself, I think as long as one can play well enough to do so it does not matter what age you are.

I played a 3-hour duo gig in a car park on Sunday morning.

Yesterday was my 61st birthday.

Tonight I've just got back from yet another gruelling rehearsal with the blues/rock band - the bassist is 74!

I'm leaving that band but think I am too far away for you to take my place (and anyway it's covers mostly).

Age doesn't matter; you will work if you are good.

Best wishes.

I'm over 40 and had never played a gig in my life until 3 years ago. The band plays mainly classic rock covers and I've written us a few originals that we play also. The band are all somewhat older then me - they range from 52-60 y.o. We play 3 x 45 min sets and have done about 6 gigs per year mainly at local pubs (we are village folk) starting at 7:30pm and going through til say 11pm. we practice/rehearse most weeks.

Its been a blast, though I am retiring after this weekend's gig as I have some other priorities (aging parents, kids etc) I need to focus more energy on right now, but I have started a side band with a friend who has just learned drums and bass player from the covers band in the past year and am working up a set of hard/alt rock originals (3 minutes max) - just like a 16 y.o's garage band - perfect as its less committment but great fun!!

If I can do it, you sure as hell can - go for it man!!

(fun reading all you guys' posts too by the way) [thumbup]

I'm 55. My buddy that plays keyboards with me is 67. we play fairly steady. only difference these days, we don't bounce back from a late night gig as easy as we use to. kinda kicks your butt for a day.

Anyhow. I'm 56 now and Id love to gig again...

Just do it! A lot of the groups I see around town are older guys. Me, I don't miss gigging. I guess I'm more a studio guy. I did sit in for a piece (on keys) with this group down at the Bayou sometime back. They had an OLD Wurlitzer e-piano, played some shufflin' blues. Surprisingly, the crowd went NUTS. OK, that was fun. [thumbup]

I've played from 11 and gave up at 28. Then started again a few years back. I'm better now than I was then as the information available is enormous.

TOO OLD??!? HE11 NO!

At least...I HOPE not! You see...(whispering) I'm...59 years old. I'm gearing up to gig- started playing in church to get back into the feel, somewhat.

I wrote my first piece at 21 in 1977- the week Elvis died (just coincidence). Been writing and playing ever since. Similar to you, I "picked it up, put it down" over the years, but have been "steady" since 1998, when I was asked to step in as substitute lead guitarist in an originals band for the summer. Six years and 2 CDs later, we amicably parted friends. Prior to 1998, the last band I was in was 1978 when stationed in FRG (what they called Germany back then).

IMO NOTHING is like gigging, NOTHING like putting originals out there!

If the Lord allows, I'll seek to "play out" write originals and continue on until I, for whatever reason, physically or mentally can't do it anymore. I've been fascinated by music, especially guitar, since I was 6 years old.

GO FOR IT BRO!

Brian

Hi lashurst, go for it. [thumbup] You said "you would love to gig again" Don't let a number stop you from enjoying the things you love to do. It's also great that you want to do original material [thumbup]

I started playing the guitar again last year after a ten year break. It's given me a new lease of life. :)

kind regards, Emma :)

Thanks for the replies. My thing is I came close to making it back then. I've posted before I was in a band with Tony Martin (ex Black Sabbath) and was going to be signing with RCA and he left for a supposedly better offer which wasn't at the time. We auditioned for two years for a replacement, but couldn't find one. I ended up walking away and as I had kids, I walked away from music too. A few years back an old member contacted me about a reunion. So I did it. The singer was Tony Mills who is quite successful. It went ok and I got the urge again. But I'm not stupid and know I can't reclaim what I had. So, I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies. My thing is I came close to making it back then. I've posted before I was in a band with Tony Martin (ex Black Sabbath) and was going to be signing with RCA and he left for a supposedly better offer which wasn't at the time. We auditioned for two years for a replacement, but couldn't find one. I ended up walking away and as I had kids, I walked away from music too. A few years back an old member contacted me about a reunion. So I did it. The singer was Tony Mills who is quite successful. It went ok and I got the urge again. But I'm not stupid and know I can't reclaim what I had. So, I'll see how it goes.

Why can't you reclaim it?

You can't hit the ball if you're not swinging the bat. [thumbup]

better to burn out than to fade away (or so I hear). good luck - if you tried and it didn't work out, would you have lost much from trying?

and hey, there are lots of other ex-Sabbath singers you could try [laugh]

Only old as you feel. If you feel like gigging again, don't pass it up and wonder "what if" ?

I like hearing all the stories about who, where, and the groups everyone played in.

I actually started in 1955 and by 1963-1964 was in a group that by 1966 became very successful. We hooked up with our manager who was and still is a very well known movie producer in the Hollywood area. He then introduced us to Geroge Lucas (Star Wars) . This was about mid 1966. They had us booked all over the Hollywood area for years. We were fortunate to be on the same stage as Sonny and Cher, Tommy James and the Shondels, Paul Revere and the Raiders, and the list goes on and on. We cut a couple of records, did some TV, and felt we were just turning the corner, and whether it was greed, ego's or what ever, we called it quits.

What's the old saying. "If I only knew then what I know now" .

I got together with a couple other groups later on, but it just never seemed to click.

Later on my only real involvement in music was when I opened my shop in Las Vegas, and when I was teaching guitar for the city of Las Vegas.

If you have the desire, and ability, there is no limit to what you can do.

Only limit is what you put on your self.

I say go for it and don't look back.

Archived