Gibson Brands Forums

That Tak 12 burst...

Cougar

I noticed another one of those Tak 12 bursts on ebay. No bidders. Watched it a couple days. No bidders. Jeez, how to get sucked in! Starts at $350, buy it now for $475. My hands started to shake over the keyboard. [scared] So I decide to throw in a bottom 350 bid mainly to erase the buy it now possibility (edit to add: for anyone else). Now I'm committed to the hunt. Nobody bids, it's still at 350 for the entire auction... until the last 15 seconds, when two snipers show up. [scared] Cougar, of course, out-snipes them. eusa_clap.gif So yes, I got me a nice looking Takamine GJ72CE-12 BSB acoustic-electric, gloss sunburst, solid spruce over lam maple 12-string!

Somehow the seller got this package "in transit" on the same day of purchase, i.e., today, and it's due in tomorrow! =P~

I've git a similar Tak. I posted this before, but it bears repeating.

I tried the guitar in the shop and it was great. I insisted in one new in the box, got it home and the action was brutal. I mean crippling. I decided to sand down the saddles to lower the action.

I removed the strings, popped the saddles and found three, yes three fairly thick plastic shims under each saddle. I pulled them gently (you have to be careful you don't accidentally damage the piezo pickup or wiring) and replaced the saddles. Strung it back up, and it was easy as butter to play.

The action was great, the intonation was fine, and it sounded awesome.

Let us know how yours turns out, and be sure to check for those shims...

...popped the saddles and found three, yes three fairly thick plastic shims under each saddle.

Weird. I had my tech cut a new bone saddle for my 12-fret RC; when he pulled the old one... shimmed!

I pulled them gently (you have to be careful you don't accidentally damage the piezo pickup or wiring)...

It seems kind of risky they put those those delicate pickups right under there. If needed, I'll have my tech do any setup work. Fortunately, he takes guitar shipping boxes in exchange for his services, and I have a few. :rolleyes:

Strung it back up, and it was easy as butter to play.

That's what I'm lookin' for! [thumbup]

No, it's just this sickness. [unsure] And I have a credit card. ;)

I have the same disease - just a smaller house and a wife who watches the credit card bills!

Really I don't play the guitars I have enough so can't justify buying more (yet!)

So my wife told me: "It's either those danged guitars or me!" I'm gonna miss her.

Haha. Mine spends more than me. As a tenured prof, she also makes more than me, which I'm fine with. B)

OK, that was a first. Bid and paid for this guitar yesterday (around 1:30 pm), arrived on my doorstep via UPS ground today about 5:45 pm! The seller is in an adjacent state.

I had to destroy two boxes to get the damn thing out! It came out in one piece though. I'd have to say it's in near new condition. Not a mark or crack anywhere. Super nice flame maple on the back, equally nice grain on the solid spruce top. With the teardrop shaped burst. I'll put her through her paces tomorrow. I think I got lucky again.

When the seller said "no issues," he was right. She looks and functions like new! Tuned her up, there's that big 12-string sound. Plays real easy! I'm sure her tone's not as full as a $2,000 Guild 12, but pretty darn good. Plugged her in. Really fun to hear her sound loud and clean and with various effects. Love the burst on top and back. Bound neck and headstock. A beauty. Now I've got to find a case that'll fit her. There's basically one: GC1124G, and nobody seems to have any. Either out of stock or "long wait." I guess the 4 7/8" depth is standard for a dread (a Martin D, at least), but she is super wide at the lower bout: 17 1/8 " -- wider than a Martin Grand Jumbo. Fortunately, the humidity in my house stays fairly constant around the low 40s, which isn't too bad, considering it can get around 15% outside.

I guess I'm going to have to take some pics....

Sounds very nice Cougar but 17 1/8 inch, that's a hellova reach. My old shoulder just could not take it.

I hate to say it but I think I know one of the guys who tried to snipe you. He had bid on one of those Tak 12 strings a month earlier (which ended up going for about $325) but did not snag it. So I am thinking he was giving it a second shot. He obviously did not get that one either.

I hate to say it but I think I know one of the guys who tried to snipe you.

I always snipe. I put in my "real" bid with 9 seconds left.

He had bid on one of those Tak 12 strings a month earlier (which ended up going for about $325) but did not snag it.

I put in a stupid lowball bid on that one too and didn't get it. I hadn't done my research.

He obviously did not get that one either.

He was up against a game theorist. :) It stayed at my one bid at the opening 350 for the whole auction, but there were a dozen watchers. I figured someone might go to 400 (and if they're smart, they'll go to 401, which somebody did), so I had to go over that. I figured I'd be safe at 423.23. Got it for 406. Got lucky - it's a good one. [thumbup]

Personally I think eBay should go the route of any bid entered 2 seconds or something before an auction ends automatically extends it another 20 seconds.

I do not have a dog in this hunt as I generally do not buy anything other than parts or parts guitars on eBay. I bid what I am willing to spend at the get go (and I am a notorious cheapskate) and never give it second look.

Personally I think eBay should go the route of any bid entered 2 seconds or something before an auction ends automatically extends it another 20 seconds.

I do not have a dog in this hunt as I generally do not buy anything other than parts or parts guitars on eBay. I bid what I am willing to spend at the get go (and I am a notorious cheapskate) and never give it second look.

And the auction would never end

I bid what I am willing to spend at the get go (and I am a notorious cheapskate) and never give it second look.

That's pretty much how it ends up anyway. You only get one shot at sniping, so it's going to be what you're willing to spend. I've certainly been outsniped more than a couple times....

Archived