Gibson Brands Forums

Should I raise the pick up?

Ron37388

I have a Les Paul Epiphone Standard. The rear pick up (Treble) is 1/8 inch from the strings which sounds real strong. The front pick up (rhythm)is 3/8-1/2 inch from the strings. Would it be advisable to raise this pick up closer to the strings? What would the end result be? I'm a newbee here, so thanks for any suggestions.

Raise them too high and they can be a bit sharp and bright sounding (as in loud)... Lower them too much and it can get muddy...

If you like the sound of it leave it be.. However its easy to raise and lower them so just experiment with it.. Lay the guitar on a table or your lap plugged in.. Strum the guitar and raise and lower till you like what you hear [thumbup]

You want the same signal strength from both pickups. The height is up to you. Whatever height you choose you want equal signal strength. Do not have one pickup close and the other far from the strings. Some folks put the pickups as close as they can get them to the strings without getting buzz. It's your guitar and your style of music so do what you want but do match the signal strength neck to bridge.

Also make sure you get the same signal strength on the low end strings as you get from the high end strings. You can adjust the bridge and/or the pickups for this.

There are a bunch of nice instructional videos on Youtube about setting up your guitar. One of the best is an instructional video done by Joe Walsh. I don't think he even uses a ruler. He goes by ear and eyes. There aren't many people who get a prettier sound from a guitar than Joe Walsh.

Archived