Gibson Brands Forums

Poor sound quality in recording - what went wrong?

Lars68

I have been working on recording my own songs on and off for a period of a few weeks. The sound quality, although never great, has always been consistant. However, yesterday I tried changing the style of one of my songs. I tried recording it with more power in the vocals (as suggested by many here to help me with my singing). I used the same mic, same room, same guitar, same distance as with the other tracks, but no matter what I did the recording sounded brittle and my voice nasal. What do you think happened and what can I do to change it? I am using an iPad with an Apogge Mic in Garageband with just a hint of echo and reverb, nothing else.

Here is the track I am NOT happy with as far as sound (playing and singing also still leave a lot to be desired...):

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/over-and-over

These sound so much warmer and fuller in comparison:

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/all-i-ever-wanted

Over all, this is an incredibly rewarding hobby, but the technical aspects are things I rather not get involved with. I just want it to be simple and efficient. This is the first time I have ran into these kinds of issues...

Lars

Hi Lars

Glad to see you haven't given up. Is it possible for you to record your guitar and then add the vocals on top of it? I think you would find it will help you a bunch. You will be free to experiment and try different techniques.

I see you are flirting with vocal vibrato a bit and think this will help you a lot. You might even try an age old practice of singing without the guitar. You have a tendency to sing the chords and you should try singing just the melody. This will help you to get rid of some of the monotone you are trapped in. The beauty of a tune is in the melody and you need to write your songs around the melody and then add the chords.

Write the melody, record it and then sing with the melody line until you find it natural. Sing all of the notes on pitch then when you have the vocal melody down add the chords. Practice singing just scales. Play them on your guitar and sing them as well;. This will help you to find your "key" and your vocal range. When you know your range push it when you practice your scales and this will help you to grow.

Maybe there are some singing groups in your area. Maybe the choir in a church you favor.

It sounds like you are not miked as closely on the one you don't like. They are all raw recordings and post production values could change all of them in mastering.

Willie, the mike is the same distance. The only difference I know of is that I played/sang louder on that particular song. The recording level seems to be ok, without no distorsion levels, This is why I am a little puzzled.

The recordings are raw, and that is fine. I am just a beginner, and I doubt that I will ever reach a level justifying having anything I write/perfom mastered, but it would of course be nice to be wrong :-)

Lars

Hi Lars

Glad to see you haven't given up. Is it possible for you to record your guitar and then add the vocals on top of it? I think you would find it will help you a bunch. You will be free to experiment and try different techniques.

I see you are flirting with vocal vibrato a bit and think this will help you a lot. You might even try an age old practice of singing without the guitar. You have a tendency to sing the chords and you should try singing just the melody. This will help you to get rid of some of the monotone you are trapped in. The beauty of a tune is in the melody and you need to write your songs around the melody and then add the chords.

Write the melody, record it and then sing with the melody line until you find it natural. Sing all of the notes on pitch then when you have the vocal melody down add the chords. Practice singing just scales. Play them on your guitar and sing them as well;. This will help you to find your "key" and your vocal range. When you know your range push it when you practice your scales and this will help you to grow.

Maybe there are some singing groups in your area. Maybe the choir in a church you favor.

Hogeye, thanks for your advice. I wrote a lengthy reply but it got lost when my iPad ran out of battery. The short version is that I find it hard to get the melody from my head to my vocal chords without it getting distorted :-) That is most likely why my singing is montone. I'm unsure about pitch and trying to stay in a "safe" zone. It is getting better, though, slowly.

Lars

Archived