Gibson Brands Forums

2015 ES 335 vs the LC 335?

DeVere

What is it about the Carlton you like above the standard 335? Differences I see are the finish and the pickups. The Carlton has the '57 Classics whereas the 2015 335 has BurstBuckers. You can find some comparative videos for the pickups if you dig around. I'm loving the 2015 myself, even though I actually preferred the tone of the 57s.

What is it about the Carlton you like above the standard 335? Differences I see are the finish and the pickups. The Carlton has the '57 Classics whereas the 2015 335 has BurstBuckers. You can find some comparative videos for the pickups if you dig around. I'm loving the 2015 myself, even though I actually preferred the tone of the 57s.

The Larry Carlton 335 has the stopbar set back away from the bridge about twice as far as a normal 335. I think that's the main difference, other than the pickups in the new 335's have changed, starting in 2015, I believe.

I've been told the neck was built to different specs, but can't seem to find the numbers to be able to compare them. Also told the nut is graphite too. Anyone know about this?

Speaking of pick ups.....'57 Classics...or....BurstBuckers? Where I live it's a 5-6 hour round trip to the nearest Gibson dealer, even then it's a hit and miss as to whether or not they'll have the right models for a side-by-side comparison. Watching Youtube videos won't tell me what I want to hear or feel. Hence, any feedback from y'all is valuable.

I counted 26 different 335 styles. If you only have a local supplier to rely upon you likely do not have but 1 or 2 for comparison. Its not so much that the supplier doesn't want to stock them, they DO sell.

The new guitars have to be set up, and the dealers often neglect this. For US buyers, many swear by various suppliers and getting a decent guitar is not uncommon, nor is the claim that its not set to satisfaction. Keep this in mind. You could decide on a 50th Anniversary 63, and be completely dismayed by the intonation, neck bow, action, finish and the changes it undergoes in the first month.

Of the 26 I counted, 8 had Burst Buckers.

-1963 Block RI, 50th Ann 1963, R.Robinson, Block, 390 Neck, Fig, Satin, 335

5 had 57 Classics.

-50th Ann 1960, Bigsby VOS, L.Carlton, Fig Indigo Blue, Dot Fat Neck

2 had Custom Buckers

-1959 Dot RI, R.Anderson

4 had MHS (Memphis Historic Spec)

-1963 TD&TDC, 1963 VOS, 1959 TD&TDN 2015, 1964 345 TD&TDC

Then there are 7 versions w/unique pups.

-Super 57 Classic in the Studio

-Burst Bucker 2/3 in the D.Grohl

-Burst Bucker Pro in the T.Lopez

-DiMarzio DP103 in the Lemonburst

-490R/T in the BB King Lucille

-Lollartron in the C.Cornell

-P90 in the L.Dickinson

It is an incredible array of options and the voice of each pup is a tough decision to call. You will never know for sure until you get it home through your amps and against your favorite guitars. For this reason many people insist on a return policy and warranty available at authorized dealers. They are all priced for serious buyers, some more forgiving than others.

As a Lemonburst owner my suggestion from the list above would be the MHS equipped, since they're not sold aftermarket. You can find many of those, not all, aftermarket and try them in whatever guitar you choose.

Its 1st month is similar to newborns, all sorts of special attention to details, fret buzzes, action, string guages and string binding at the nut that will need TLC. If you're a new Gibson buyer read the handbook which talks about setup. Gibson expected buyers to do their own tweaks, I guess back when these guitars were less expensive it was not uncommon, but many grow uncomfortable with the idea, due to size of investment choose a reputable luthier.

Others get cold feet altogether. On Gibsons site there is a guy named Peter who has been back/forth with the Lemonburst and said he tried one but returned it, I am sure his supplier was no questions asked, but I asked what it could have been? No reply yet. Just sayin', it don't always go off without a hitch.

Post edited to include 2015 MHS guitars.

$6199 1959 ES-335 TD w/MHS Humbucker

$5299 1959 Custom ES-335 Dot RI w/Custombucker

$5299 1963 Custom ES-335 Block RI w/Burstbucker 1/2

$4499 1960 Custom 50th Ann ES-335TD w/57 Classic

$4499 ES-355 Bigsby VOS w/57 Classic

$4499 1963 ES-335TDC Fig VOS w/MHS Humbucker

$4199 BB King w/490R(T)

$4199 1963 ES-335TD w/MHS Humbucker

$3999 Larry Carlton ES-335 w/57 Classic

$3999 50th Ann 1963 ES-335 w/Burstbucker 1/2

$3799 ES-335 Block w/Burstbucker 1/2

$3799 Rich Robinson ES-335 w/Burstbucker 1/2

$3799 ES-335 Figured Indigo Blue w/57 Classic

$3699 Rusty Anderson ES-335 w/Custombucker

$3699 2014 Trini Lopez w/Burstbucker Pro

$3699 ES-335 Lemon Burst w/DiMarzio DP103 36th Ann

$3699 Dave Grohl ES-335 w/Burstbucker 2/3

$3499 ES-335 Dot Fat Neck w/57 Classic

$3499 ES-335 Figured 390 Neck w/Burstbucker 1/2

$3499 ES-335 Figured w/Burstbucker 1/2

$3299 Chris Cornell ES-335 w/Lollartron

$3299 Luther Dickinson w/P-90

$3299 2015 Trini Lopez w/Burstbucker Pro

$3199 ES-335 w/Burstbucker 1/2

$3199 ES-335 Sixties Cherry w/Burstbucker 1/2

$2699 ES-335 Satin w/Burstbucker 1/2

$1599 ES-335 Studio w/Super 57 Classic

Here's 27 of them sorted by price. 27 seems like an extreme # of variables, Thank You Gibson for going the extra mile to ensure all options are covered. This list reflects 2013, 2014, 2015 as shown on their website.

Playing a few reveals the slim taper neck which has a different feel than a Les Paul. For those interested the Fat Neck and 390 Neck are options. The 2nd 3rd and 4th are Nashville, rest are Memphis.

Its going to come down to finish eventually. Its what dictated my decision. For me, the look of the guitar was most important.

In hindsight, the one I would have chosen is the 1963 ES-335TD because it has MHS pickups and doesn't go too extreme price levels. Figuratively speaking, of course.

[thumbup] To Mr. James ODonnell, thank you for your reply! you have just expanded my knowledge of the 335 exponentially. Due to my limited budget I will in the 4k ceiling range and it looks like i have many to choose from. Still finding a few to actually play, in person, with my own hands, and my own ability will be a challenge, but one i accept with courage. :) Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking time from your life to enrich mine!

The Memphis Tone Circuit, is something these newer guitars employ. I am not an expert in electronics, far from it, but what I interpret from this is; The knobs roll off without a linear taper. For example if I have both pups on 100% and I begin to roll off the neck to 90% there is a radical change in tone. As though putting the neck pup on 9 has actually reduced it to 5. What this does is give you fine tuning (tone tuning?) between 80% and 20%. With the bridge on 100% and the neck on 10% it will actually quiet the overall output, reduce any gain you may have. At 20%, one of my favorite sweet spots and then rip it up by switching to bridge only, a big punch in tone right there. Experiment with it and see.

No thanks required. I enjoy shopping for 335s probably MORE than buying it. As is the case with everything Gibson, so many new things to learn, so many undiscovered Gibson guitars always popping up on my radar. Happy Hunting!

The Memphis Tone Circuit, is something these newer guitars employ. I am not an expert in electronics, far from it, but what I interpret from this is; The knobs roll off without a linear taper. For example if I have both pups on 100% and I begin to roll off the neck to 90% there is a radical change in tone. As though putting the neck pup on 9 has actually reduced it to 5. What this does is give you fine tuning (tone tuning?) between 80% and 20%. With the bridge on 100% and the neck on 10% it will actually quiet the overall output, reduce any gain you may have. At 20%, one of my favorite sweet spots and then rip it up by switching to bridge only, a big punch in tone right there. Experiment with it and see.

No thanks required. I enjoy shopping for 335s probably MORE than buying it. As is the case with everything Gibson, so many new things to learn, so many undiscovered Gibson guitars always popping up on my radar. Happy Hunting!

Thanks again, even though you said.... well i appreciate it. Should have the funds saved by end of August and then.....!!! BTW how do i know i'm looking at a genuine 2015? Seems like i've tipped the scales in that direction with more research.

Hi DeVere,

I have a 2008 Larry Carlton and I love it. The biggest difference is the neck profile. It is thin and extremely fast. I have 8 other Gibsons and the LC has the fastest neck of any of them. I'm not sure but I don't think mine has a graphite nut. I'm away in Colorado right now but I'll check it out when I get back in a couple of days. The Carlton Burst finish is beautiful. Mine is a Custom Shop but the newer ones are branded "Gibson Memphis". I'm not sure if there are any differences besides the decal on the back of the headstock.

Hi DeVere,

I have a 2008 Larry Carlton and I love it. The biggest difference is the neck profile. It is thin and extremely fast. I have 8 other Gibsons and the LC has the fastest neck of any of them. I'm not sure but I don't think mine has a graphite nut. I'm away in Colorado right now but I'll check it out when I get back in a couple of days. The Carlton Burst finish is beautiful. Mine is a Custom Shop but the newer ones are branded "Gibson Memphis". I'm not sure if there are any differences besides the decal on the back of the headstock.

Oh yeah, the LC has a narrower neck than a regular 335, right? Like 1-9/16 at the nut compared with 1-11/16"?

Oh yeah, the LC has a narrower neck than a regular 335, right? Like 1-9/16 at the nut compared with 1-11/16"?

Yup, just checked it. The nut IS graphite and is 1 9/16" and it's screaming fast. A few years ago I let my son, who was probably about 22, play it. A little while later he called me into the music room and said "Check this out. This guitar is so fast I can shred with it." He gave me a short demo after which I took the guitar back and never let him play it again. My 335 is not for shredding.

Archived