Gibson Brands Forums

Ebony Fretboard/60's Neck

drew365

I'm interested in buying an SG. It will be my first one. I'd prefer an ebony fretboard and slim taper 60's neck. I know the supreme came with this combo. Are there any other models that I can search for with this combo? Thanks.

One more question. What got me wanting an SG is my friend just bought a new '15 model and I really liked the neck. Now in my research I see the '15 has a wider neck profile. So I'm guessing that if I want that neck feel like his, I'm going to need to buy a new one? Bummer. Any new ones come with ebony? I know that answer is no.

One more question. What got me wanting an SG is my friend just bought a new '15 model and I really liked the neck. Now in my research I see the '15 has a wider neck profile. So I'm guessing that if I want that neck feel like his, I'm going to need to buy a new one? Bummer. Any new ones come with ebony? I know that answer is no.

Gibson say they cant get ebony anymore. Its a shame because I agree that the new wider neck + ebony f/board combination would be great.

Well, going back to my original idea. Is there another model with ebony board and slim 60's neck, besides the Supreme? I know there are some faded's with ebony, but the one's I've seen have a 50's neck.

I played the 2015 Standard today at GC. I was surprised, the wide neck didn't really bother me at all. I liked the feel of the guitar quite a lot. I plugged into a modeling amp (I think it was a Peavey) and couldn't get any chime out of it. Even with both tones at 10 and the treble cranked on the amp, it was very muddy sounding. I don't like playing in the middle of GC for too long, so I decided it was probably the amp. Now I'm curious to go back and try it through a Fender or Marshall because I'm sure the pickups can't be that lifeless.

Archived