Gibson Brands Forums

Fretboard care

EvoRider

A small amount of lemon oil for rosewood types. I just wipe down maple boards and don't own any with ebony. I'm pretty sure richlite requires a quart of 10W30 every 3000 miles.

I use Gerlitz Guitar Honey. Can be used on Rosewood and Ebony fretboards. Conditions it well, leaving it feeling silky smooth. For any stubborn grime I used cotton buds and a make-up brush (very similar to a mascara brush).

To clean off bits of dust and especially this time of year, pollen I use a bigger softer make-up brush.

When I've finished playing I wipe the guitar down and put back in the case.

kind regards, Emma :)

• 2 weeks later...

I use Gerlitz Guitar Honey. Can be used on Rosewood and Ebony fretboards. Conditions it well, leaving it feeling silky smooth. For any stubborn grime I used cotton buds and a make-up brush (very similar to a mascara brush).

To clean off bits of dust and especially this time of year, pollen I use a bigger softer make-up brush.

When I've finished playing I wipe the guitar down and put back in the case.

kind regards, Emma :)

Gerlitz Guitar Honey +1. It is an amazing product with a distilled petroleum base. Wipe it on, wipe it off and that's it. No oily residue and the fretboard is left silky smooth and healthy looking.

I use Emma's method, except for the conditioner. Her conditioner is great; but about 10 years ago I bought a bottle of 'board conditioner that folks use on their violins etc. Not-so-special; it is a smidge of lemon oil in a petroleum base.

Like in the Gibson article, IF ([iF] when I buy a used guitar, there is crusty crud along the fret edges, I use a soft toothbrush to remove said offending material before normal cleaning and an application of the fretboard conditioner. I might do the lemon oil thing once every year and a half or so.

Your fretboard does not need deep cleaning every time you change strings (unless you are a diesel mechanic and don't wash your hands after a hard days work, then play your guitar). In over 40 years I never had a fretboard problem, loose frets, anything of that sort. After every playing session, I wipe it down with a soft cotton cloth (baby diaper are my favorite, new, not used)and store my guitars in the case when not is use.

This is my patented formula [thumbup] ...Best to you in all things guitar!

Brian

Archived