Gibson Brands Forums

J-15 is an articulate cannon

hardycreek1

OK, I admit I'm still enthralled with my new J-15, but another thread used the words "articulate cannon" to describe the sound, and that just resonates with me.

Others on here say they've owned guitars for decades and the J-15 is among the best.

What's the verdict? Are they as good as anything else out there?

By "cannon" - do you mean, loud or boomy low end or what?

But there is only one way you are going to arrive at an answer - go and play a whole bunch of guitars. I have been playing 55 years and found nothing to really complain about the one and only J-15 I have played. It was fine but there was nothing about it that made me feel I had to own one or that it would suit me better than any other number of guitars I keep around. Next guy might have a totally different take on it then me.

Motherofpearl - you still got me beat by one when it comes to Guitar Centers.

I find it's both loud AND boomy low end.

It projects well with lots of volume, yet the sound of the individual notes stays crisp and clear. This is my first Gibson, and I tremendously enjoy it!

I had one last year, simply amazing guitar. Imo they sounded better than any martin up to the 2500 range. The back and neck are just drop dead beautiful too.

By "cannon" - do you mean, loud or boomy low end or what?

But there is only one way you are going to arrive at an answer - go and play a whole bunch of guitars. I have been playing 55 years and found nothing to really complain about the one and only J-15 I have played. It was fine but there was nothing about it that made me feel I had to own one or that it would suit me better than any other number of guitars I keep around. Next guy might have a totally different take on it then me.

Motherofpearl - you still got me beat by one when it comes to Guitar Centers.

LOL your not missing much Lmao

I'm primarily an electric player (blasphemy I hear you acoustic guys say), but the J-15 I bought last year is my favourite acoustic in my collection. I also own a J-185, but my J-15 just plays and sounds slightly nicer. Before buying the J-15 it I tried a bunch of Gibson acoustics and while I liked them all the J-15 was the one I ended up with. I'd still love a Dove someday though.

I think the J15 is a really cool guitar. It can be a cannon if you need one. Mine has a lot of volume. Real strong bass. Great overall sound. Not brittle or too bright (that's what Taylors are for...lol). However, what I like best is how ideal it is for fingerpicking. It's easily the equal and often the superior of guitars that cost hundreds more. I like the somewhat plain (by Gibson standards) looks that kind of grow on you until you realize that "it's a damn good-looking guitar." As is often mentioned, the maple neck and the walnut really look good together..................I know you're all enthused by your guitar and you have a right to be. I've been there a lot of times (along with most everyone in this forum). You've got a killer guitar and you'll enjoy it for many years. All I would suggest at this stage is to play the hell-out-of-it and don't let others rain on your parade..........And remember the two most important rules of guitar ownership. Follow these rules you will cover all the bases in regards to owning great guitars.

1. Guitars are like women. You can't have too many.

2. No matter how many guitars you have, there's always room for one more.

Now, play on! [thumbup]

My theory (which I pulled out of the same dark underside where most of my ideas come from) is that because the J-15 is among the most affordable Gibsons, it frees the owner to play it with the passion and conviction that brings out its best qualities. I know I've clammed up on the more expensive models, feeling like a Jackson Browne Model 1 is not a guitar to be played too recklessly.

I liked the J15 because it was a barebones machine. There's great appeal in having a quality instrument that isn't too fancy. It's like a favorite pair of bluejeans. You play hard and you throw 'em in the wash every few months. No dry cleaning necessary.

I could mix metaphors and screw up aphorisms all day long explaining why I love my more approachable guitars more than my beauties.

I'd be curious to see how you treat a Dove if you acquire one. You might be in too much awe to give it a proper ride. Or maybe that's just MY problem. [crying]

Anyhow, CONGRATS AND ENJOY!

"I'd be curious to see how you treat a Dove if you acquire one. You might be in too much awe to give it a proper ride. Or maybe that's just MY problem." ..............Excellent point, Smurfbird. You are not alone. I do treat my Dove differently, and it's 4 years older...

• 3 weeks later...

My experience with a J15 is one of disappointment. No-one local to me had one so I took the plunge and ordered one from Coda in Stevenage UK via mail order.

The finish on the neck was very poor. Behind the 1st fret, more or less where my thumb tends to sit, were two blobs of lacquer the size of a pinhead - small but noticeable. The join between the two halves of the neck and the walnut "beading" down the centre had a discernible ridge to it. I've a Fender with a similar style and it's dead smooth. At the 7th fret at the fretboard/neck boundary, the finish was either missing or chipped prior to dispatch. This guitar was supposed to have been inspected prior to dispatch and all I can say is a blind man would have done better because he or she would have simply felt it wasn't right!

The action at the 12th fret in the bass was coming in at around 3 or marginally over 3mm. If I were to be keeping the guitar I'd probably like to take this down a bit. There was little or no relief in the neck so I would have left it a while to let it settle down at full tension before making any adjustments to it. That said, the saddle was already cut quite low so there wasn't a lot of room for adjustment at that end.

On a positive note the sound was almost enough to make me forgive these shortcomings. A gorgeous, rich sound with very little input. Not quite though and sadly, as of today, this one has gone back to the retailer. You have to expect more from £1000 worth of guitar; I've two Washburn's from the 120th anniversary series in Koa and Rosewood and both were absolutely flawless.

At the moment I'm nervous to try again with this model unless I can get to a place where they have one. I'd appreciate any feedback re the overall finish people are experiencing with this model.

Last year I visited the Gibson plant in Memphis and whilst I was there, in the showroom I played as many guitars as I could get my hands on (well who wouldn't). Out of all the acoustics the one that stood out was a J-15. Even my Wife announced that it was something special (to her a guitar's, a guitar's a guitar!).

When I returned to the U.K I started looking for one and I interviewed quite a few before buying. As I recall one that I tried in a local music shop was awful, but when I went back and tried it again two weeks later (don't ask me why)it was like a completely different guitar. You wouldn't think two weeks would make that much difference.

As regards quality issues I never saw any with any problems at all, although I did see one that had a nasty ding in the back and should never have been on sale. When I pointed it out to the shop staff (it was Dawson's in Manchester) they acted surprised as though they'd never seen it before but it was obvious to me they had. They offered to knock £100 off the price. If I'd bought it, it would have bugged me for ever as I've absolutely no intention of selling the guitar.

One thing that I have noticed about the J-15 is how big a difference using different strings makes. I've currently got Elixir Nanoweb's on, which I like on most of my acoustics, but on the J-15 it's taken 3 months before I've started to like them (I would have taken them off but at £15 a set, I ain't about to bin them).

Ian

Like Ian, I have found no problems with the J-15 finish. Mine is flawless and I also tried a couple of others at different stores before I got mine which had no issues either.

Anyway, an update...in an earlier post I mentioned I'd been after a Dove (I've been wanting one for many years), so I finally bought one and it arrived yesterday. It really is fantastic and quite different to my J-15. Hard to compare the two as they are different in size, shape and materials used, but loving it so far and easily as good as my J-15 and J-185. Here's a pic;

IMG_1363_zpsofraip5r.jpg

I just put Elixir Nanoweb strings on mine, had to change to a Cool medium pick from a Pickboy T-Shell, but the sound coming out of this guitar continues to amaze me. It is loud, I can hear every distinct note, and the harmonics reverberate long after the last strum.

Have had it for about 2 months now, and it blows me away just about every time I play it.

It comes closest in sound (IMHO) as a Martin D28, but I like this sound better.

Call me one happy camper!

OK, I admit I'm still enthralled with my new J-15, but another thread used the words "articulate cannon" to describe the sound, and that just resonates with me.

Others on here say they've owned guitars for decades and the J-15 is among the best.

What's the verdict? Are they as good as anything else out there?

I'm with YOU! I think the J-15's are the best! ...and very cool! That's my verdict!!!! And congratulations on that killer guitar! They are indeed an atriculate cannon!

I played both a new J15 and J35 at the guitar Mega-Lo Mart the other day. To be honest, I preferred the J15. Also loved the walnut, beautiful figuring.

I goes the other way. I like newer J-35 than J-15.When I compared both of them side by side at Sam Ash in Rancho Cucamonga. J-35 has more mid-high and about the same bass but J-35 definitely has more volume.I think J-15 looks better with walnut when J-35 is just plain old Gibson.

Archived