Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Is This a Matsumoku Sheraton

caliban335

I just took delivery on this beautiful guitar. It sounds great too and will no doubt sound even better when I get some new strings on it. It was advertised as a 1985 Matsumoku-build Sheraton. It has a bird's eye top, though my photographic skills can't show it very well, as well as binding over the fret ends and a two screw TRC. Photos below. Can anyone verify whether or not I have a Matsumoku?

Thanks in advance.

Sheraton%20Front%20Headstock_zpsxiplrqqq.jpg

Sheraton%20Front%20Close_zpsj46dg13z.jpg

Sheraton%20Frets%20amp%20Marker_zpsj81sccd6.jpg

Sheraton%20binding_zpscwodyozg.jpg

Well, you have nibs so that's a very good sign. I don't think any model had nibs apart from the Kalamazoo originals and the Jap Maksumoko models but I stand to be corrected.

I was very fortunate to get an 83' Sheraton in February this year and I love it.

Your guitar has the old script style Epiphone logo on the headstock, a 2 screw truss rod cover, the large pots with gold volume / tone controls and what appears to be a brown / tan label within the 'F' hole. So this guitar would appear to be a Matsumoko Sheraton.

If you can post the serial number, I should be able to confirm (serial number should be 7 digits and stamped on the back of the headstock).

In addition, when changing the strings, it should have 'JAPAN' stamped on the reverse of the bridge.

If the pickups are original / stock then they should have 'MMK75' stamped on the reverse.

That is a beautiful guitar!

I had an Aria Pro II bass that was made at Maksumoko. It was a fine instrument. Sold it for much more money than I paid for it back in the day.

Good luck, it should be as good as any guitar out there and better than most.

jv

From the serial number, it's a 1985 Japanese Matsumoku made Epiphone Sheraton.

August 1985, production number 3284.

Congratulations - it's a beautiful guitar.

Mine is identical, but in the antique sunburst finish - please see old thread here.

Well, you have nibs so that's a very good sign. I don't think any model had nibs apart from the Kalamazoo originals and the Jap Maksumoko models but I stand to be corrected.

The Early Korean models had nibs too AFAIK, and my AIUSA Sheraton does too.

The Early Korean models had nibs too AFAIK, and my AIUSA Sheraton does too.

Well, I did "stand to be corrected" although I have never seen a non-Jap Sheraton with nibs. I have never heard of an AIUSA Sheraton.

I did a search on AIUSA Sheraton and came up with this thread:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/59881-theres-a-sheraton-aiusa-really/

It is without a shadow of doubt a Matsumoku made Sheraton. I used to own one with that finish myself. all the details are correct as is the 7 digit serial. The natural ones are relatively rare, as most of those exported were finished in ASB "Antique sunburst", or WR "Wine red".

Enjoy your guitar, I am very envious.

Steve.

Archived