Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson talks about his new LP model

Rabs

A mere 10.5K? Better get two and a Dumble. /s

Alex has redefined himself many times over the years, and since they released live albums every 4 years the time periods between are like eras of evolution. Era 1, Rush, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, and 2112 we saw a tremendous use of 355 and 335 guitars, Marshall amps, tape echo. Era 2, Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures also feature some heavy use of semi-hollows. This time Exit Stage Left offered up 2 exclusive pieces of music, Broons Bane and the intro to Jacobs Ladder, as such I am inclined to include it in the profound catalog up to this point.

As we listened to musicians up to this point in time, dive bomb vibrato and piezo hadn't really come onto the scene. These styles were made popular thereafter by notable proficient players, Steve Stevens one of the early adopters. When Alex stepped in with his impressions of it all, I couldn't relate. He switched to Fender, changed his amps, but his playing style remained.

So much time has passed yet it feels like yesterday when he would milk those semi-hollows for all of their worth. Versatility is what comes to mind. By-Tor and the Snow Dog, heavy. Rivendell, gentle. In The End, the 335 guitar is the only guitar I think of, myself stuck in 1977, chasing those echoes. 'What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound. Its got wires that vibrate and give music. What can this thing be that I've found?' -Discovery

Archived