Gibson Brands Forums

Les paul Standard Custom Shop sparkle question

ivanvei

Hello, I planning to buy a custom shop les paul Blue sparkle but I have some doubts about the specifications. It was made in 2008, has custom shop logo on the back of the neck, Blue Sparkle top, black back, klusons, abr bridge and black CS case with the burgundy interior. I have pictures of the neck pickup cavity and they show that it is long tenon.

The only thing I'm not sure about is if ir is solid back or swiss cheese holes.

I have asked gibson europe customer service telling them the serial number with no answer yet, but believe me, I asked them before about specs of two gibsons (a warren haynes signature and a mick jones signature) and they were wrong both times.

I asume that if it has long tenon, abr and, being a custom shop, it may be full solid back, isn't it?

What do you think?

Thanks

Since it is a Custom Shop model and could be a one-off, it could have a solid back or even a chambered back. I do not think that the shop uses any weight relief holes in the backs. It depends on the spec of the order and the customer service guys do not have access to those documents. It would take someone at the shop to pull the printed build sheet for the specs and those are not in the database. I do remember a blue sparkle from around that time being chambered but this may not be that one. Have the seller take off the rear control cavity cover and you should be able to see if it is chambered or not. Neither one of the backs, solid or chambered, would change my mind about purchasing. The weight of the guitar may help your decision more than the type of back.

Here are a couple of pictures that the seller sent to me last night. He told me that he has added a pickguard And gold knobs. Originally no pickguard And witch hats. On of the knobs is missing because pot shaft is broken.

Would you pull the trigger?

IMG_20150705_102337_zps4p3h1y1b.jpg

IMG_20150705_102325_zpsomtdiqrp.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

He probably forced incorrect Chinese made knobs on to it. Assume all the pot shafts are damaged and will brake if knob removed again.

I'm unable to help with other query other than to say play it and if you like it don't worry about it. Weight relive has no effect. Chambering brightens the tone slightly, IMX and IMHO.

Would you pull the trigger? Not without a lot more photos. The big question before pulling the trigger is "what is the price?" Pots and knobs are not deal breakers and easily replaced.

Archived