Gibson Brands Forums

all axcess neck heel

with all the "improvements" many don't seem to want, why is the all axcess neck heel not offered on other guitars? i mean, wth? it's not like it's some huge change in manufacturing, and it is DEFINITELY an improvement on the pedestrian fashion they've been using from the start. i think many of us would love to have that heel on our les pauls. i know that i sure would. sure there are plenty who like the traditional way, just like harley people who refuse to accept change. i get that. how about you? thoughts?

Pretty good idea I think.

I had heard people voice concerns about loss of neck stability with double cutaway Les Pauls. I suppose they might have similar concerns about this maybe?

However there are guitars out there with great access to all frets that have now been around a very long time without stability issues so far.

I myself have a 1995 Japanese built guitar with neck relief all the way up to the 24th fret. I've never had to touch the truss rod once in 20 years. Nor did the luthier who fret leveled it and set it up back in February this year. It has the lowest action of all my guitars and has no fret buzz whatsoever.

I dont blame anyone for having misgivings about structural integrity because the simple fact is that none of us know what is possible until we try it.

Does any luthier calculate the stress loading on a guitar at the design stage? I dont know, but I imagine not. 150 years ago civil engineers didnt know how to do this, and so they built bridges with massive safety reserve factors (unknowingly of course). These days we know how to calculate the stresses, and very accurately too.

I cant help but draw parallels with things such as the Maidenhead Railway Bridge (IK Brunel) when looking at older guitar designs. Built to last certainly, but how much more solid is it than it needs to be?

I feel that the lower profile bolt on neck heel you refer to is perfectly good for purpose, and it certainly helps playability.

Archived