Gibson Brands Forums

best suggestion on fixing Tuning issue with G-force system

rdmaster

Hi All

Just purchased a new 2105 Gibson Special double cut away.

Now many changes have taken place which those owning or trying out the 2015 Gibson models have seen. I like some new features and I love the pleck work and neck binding along with the return of the Peal inlays. All nice. The wider neck I can live with but still prefer the older style necks owing 15 Gibson’s already.

The biggest issue I am having after returning the first Special back to the store is the tuning. I purchased a second one locally and after 30 hrs of breaking in found the same issue. Tuning will not hold. Now I’m not bending strings at all which can cause tuning issue’s ‘m just strumming chords and consistently going out of tune. Brought back to the Gibson dealer I bought it and he used Nut sauce which did help a bit but being a touring musician on the road it went back to the same state of dropping tune.

Now I am aware of setup and the important parts of the tuning aspect.

So After checking intonation I find I can come close but not perfect. It’s a wrap around bridge. This quite common the G and d strings are 4 to 5 cents sharp can’t get it better. So just ordered the Resomax Wrap around bridge. After days of reviews I like the resomax option of the magnetic tail piece and the low profile as well as the Saddles material. So I am hoping this will help solve the issue. But the big question is the important part. Is the nut an issue and the tuners as well?

I read the brass nuts are grooving due to the string metal being harder and cutting into the nut causing a bind. It makes sense. We all know the nut is the biggest issue with tuning problems. So now after the 100 bucks on the bridge I just ordered will I need to change the nut? I read Gibson has issued some a new nut with a newer coated material to solve the issue. Is this true?

Now back to the G-force system. Being a tech guy I read the on line manual first. Reset and calibrated the system. I find it works well about 90% of the time. I used my Peters strobe to reference it. Can’t go wrong with a Peterson period!

I also broke 3 strings in initial using they tuned pass the point and pop goes the weasel. Read the manual before using. I truly think its way too much complication to remember the modes and settings. I continually have to reference the manual to use properly. Not a good thing in my eyes.

So the question is how will this issue will be solved. Gibson you sure as hell have to be aware you have issue’s with the G-force system. You also shoved it down our throats with no other option. So is it the Nut the tuners or the bride.

I will slowly change all 3 need be. But in all honesty. Gibson should reimburse owners or give a working option to correct your flaws. I am not against the tuning system for I use capo’s and drop tunings often. But for god sake 50% of the New 2105 Gibson’s have the same issue I am having, Let your tech department watch YouTube and see all the videos of the same issues. I did not bother calling Gibson or bring it back to the store I bought it for Common sense and process of elimination hopefully will solve the issue.

If I didn’t truly like the guitar I would not bother. The new p90’s are excellent and the craftsmanship of the wood and paint as well. But you skipped the most important part. A guitar that stays in tune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cosmetics are useless without playability. Gibson stand up and Fix the issue and recall 2015 Guitars till you have solved the issue please

Hi,

I had problems with the min e-tune on my LP Signature, but now it stays in tune just fine. Here is what I did:

A)Professional nut job - had my favourite luthier adjust the slots. No short cuts here, it has to be done on every new guitar.

B)Learn (and practice) on how to change strings - the system is very sensitive about how the strings are winded, use the updated instructions

C)Use the settings - after calibration, I have changed accuracy, interference and gain to make it work more accurate.

//Robert

Hi All

Just purchased a new 2105 Gibson Special double cut away.

Now many changes have taken place which those owning or trying out the 2015 Gibson models have seen. I like some new features and I love the pleck work and neck binding along with the return of the Peal inlays. All nice. The wider neck I can live with but still prefer the older style necks owing 15 Gibson’s already.

The biggest issue I am having after returning the first Special back to the store is the tuning. I purchased a second one locally and after 30 hrs of breaking in found the same issue. Tuning will not hold. Now I’m not bending strings at all which can cause tuning issue’s ‘m just strumming chords and consistently going out of tune. Brought back to the Gibson dealer I bought it and he used Nut sauce which did help a bit but being a touring musician on the road it went back to the same state of dropping tune.

Now I am aware of setup and the important parts of the tuning aspect.

So After checking intonation I find I can come close but not perfect. It’s a wrap around bridge. This quite common the G and d strings are 4 to 5 cents sharp can’t get it better. So just ordered the Resomax Wrap around bridge. After days of reviews I like the resomax option of the magnetic tail piece and the low profile as well as the Saddles material. So I am hoping this will help solve the issue. But the big question is the important part. Is the nut an issue and the tuners as well?

I read the brass nuts are grooving due to the string metal being harder and cutting into the nut causing a bind. It makes sense. We all know the nut is the biggest issue with tuning problems. So now after the 100 bucks on the bridge I just ordered will I need to change the nut? I read Gibson has issued some a new nut with a newer coated material to solve the issue. Is this true?

Now back to the G-force system. Being a tech guy I read the on line manual first. Reset and calibrated the system. I find it works well about 90% of the time. I used my Peters strobe to reference it. Can’t go wrong with a Peterson period!

I also broke 3 strings in initial using they tuned pass the point and pop goes the weasel. Read the manual before using. I truly think its way too much complication to remember the modes and settings. I continually have to reference the manual to use properly. Not a good thing in my eyes.

So the question is how will this issue will be solved. Gibson you sure as hell have to be aware you have issue’s with the G-force system. You also shoved it down our throats with no other option. So is it the Nut the tuners or the bride.

I will slowly change all 3 need be. But in all honesty. Gibson should reimburse owners or give a working option to correct your flaws. I am not against the tuning system for I use capo’s and drop tunings often. But for god sake 50% of the New 2105 Gibson’s have the same issue I am having, Let your tech department watch YouTube and see all the videos of the same issues. I did not bother calling Gibson or bring it back to the store I bought it for Common sense and process of elimination hopefully will solve the issue.

If I didn’t truly like the guitar I would not bother. The new p90’s are excellent and the craftsmanship of the wood and paint as well. But you skipped the most important part. A guitar that stays in tune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cosmetics are useless without playability. Gibson stand up and Fix the issue and recall 2015 Guitars till you have solved the issue please

Wow, 2105s are out already and with peal inlays!! Time traveler?

If your brass zero nut had been damaged by your strings, and there are groves cut into the brass zero fret, call Gibson's 800 number and ask for the warranty dept. they will take your address info and send you a new Nickel plated replacement zero fret. You'll have to take the little allen screws out of the orig. brass unit and transfer them to your new Nickel zero fret - note the height of the old zero fret and match that (if you likes the setting) and drop the new Nickel unit in. That will get you back to square one with the guitar - I did both a factory re-set and a re-calibration (Pg. 14 & 15 in the manual) process with the G Force once the new nut/zero fret was in place. My G Force is back to fast accurate tuning. Drama resolved.

If your brass zero nut had been damaged by your strings, and there are groves cut into the brass zero fret, call Gibson's 800 number and ask for the warranty dept. they will take your address info and send you a new Nickel plated replacement zero fret. You'll have to take the little allen screws out of the orig. brass unit and transfer them to your new Nickel zero fret - note the height of the old zero fret and match that (if you likes the setting) and drop the new Nickel unit in. That will get you back to square one with the guitar - I did both a factory re-set and a re-calibration (Pg. 14 & 15 in the manual) process with the G Force once the new nut/zero fret was in place. My G Force is back to fast accurate tuning. Drama resolved.

THIS^^^^

I'd have to go back and look, but IIRC my new nut was received in less than a week. The only thing I had to do was send the rep the guitar's serial number; apparently they are tracking these things. I did trade the guitar away but the new nut did put everything right and Gibson customer service is still high with me!

Best wishes!

Brian

Thanks for the replies. Well got my Resomax bridge and achieved perfect intonation today. The bridge is nice low profile and was easy to set up. After removing strings and doing a few gigs with the guitar I see the brass nut is grooving. I used nut sauce and it has helped keep it in tune after a good setup and new bridge, The Bridge comes in 2 models the Nw1 and Nw2. The 2 being a nonmetal material and less string breakage and the Nw1 the standard metal saddles. I got the Nw2 and my buddy with same guitar ordered the Nw1. The Nw1 has a brighter closer to stock sound. Nw2 has a warmer balanced tone on the material saddle s. Just a heads up. But really improved the setup and intonation issues. I Have good relative pitch the chords passed the 12th were truly driving me nuts being 4 to 5 cents off.

Well I will call Gibson on the nut issue. I can’t believe they let an issue like that go thru production. The nut is the most important factor in tuning period. Nothing like a gig field test

I’ll try the new setup and bridge tonight and see if it holds tune. I’ll keep you posted and see if the planet wave lub works

Thanks again

Spoke to Gibson and honestly after my phone call will not be buying another Gibson product in the future. Asked nicely to have a new nut shipped for last night after only 4 hrs playing it grooved the Brass nut even more where I had to raise it on a gig to stop it from hitting the First fret open string high e and b. It took me a while too get thru and spoke with a customer service rep and first I asked to talk with a tech for I wanted to get more of why this should be happening on a 3 week old guitar. No matter what I was short spoken to and after telling the person my issue realized its the nut, From the horse's mouth they said the Brass nut is to soft and the strings are wearing prematurely. the new nut is a nickel finish to match hardware and made from Titanium. I politely asked to have it shipped and finish the matter on the phone. He claimed has to be done with email. I said I have a serial number and just got the guitar why not register me and ship it on the phone. No cant do that. I was a bit pissed at the handling of the matter. Well my buddy bought the same ax as me and told him about the issue we both were having. He called got a lady that just asked for ser# and shipped it out right away after phone call. Now this truly pissed me off so I called back and explained the first customer rep was rude brief and an Asshole. Sorry about the French but I tell it like it is. I explained to the next guy that was chewing in my ear while on the phone I wanted a nut mailed out a.s.a.p. I asked to make sure it was titanium for that's the nut to be replaced as explained. He claims its nickel not titanium, I asked is it nickel finish with over titanium , He didn't know. Well I might as well called Dell and spoke to India . I own 20 Gibson and after the customer care I got I'll be looking else wear or buy used from now on. Guess Gibson raised prices and sure as hell needs to learn how to treat customers. Maybe if they spoke with me and had a tech get on the phone on a national matter that is apparent they would get some where with issue there Engineers missed. I played guitar tech and help from other here as well need to solve issue. Okay yea right

Bye Gibson

Well past a week now and no Replacement nut. My buddy who got a very helpful customer service rep got his in 3 days. The nut seemed to help the issue. Guess I'll have to call the wonderful Support line for the 4th. time. Now you can figure out why things go over seas. You think any one that works in Gibson's reads these boards and try to help or make customers happy. They design a flawed product and make the customer work or struggle to get satisfaction. Any Lawyers here know or willing to take action? Gibson really blew it in my eyes. I'll Never buy a new Gibson again been buying a new Gibson for 15 years now every yr. Goodbye Gibson. guess you won. Can you buy that replacement nut I guess that's my next option

• 4 weeks later...

Word of advice with G-force. If your having tuning issues its more than likely the brass nut grooving. Got my Titanium nut and problem solved. Also the adjustable saddle bridge was a super improvement if you have a fixed wrap around.

Thanks for the replies

• 1 month later...

I own a 2015 Les Paul / Less Plus which I just love. I too, called Gibson and ask for the new upgrade nickel plated nut. They ask for my serial no., and in less than 7 day I had it in my hand. I figured I would go ahead and do the upgrade before any problems started.

• 3 weeks later...

What's that phone number? I was a nickel plated nut for my SG.

the first replacement nut they sent me was still brass with smaller string slits. then they sent a nicle plated nut which after 2 months started to get grooves cut into it although not as bad as the original brass nut. They just sent me a titanium nut which I will try when I do my next string change. Unless there is an issue with the titanium nut anybody knows about before I switch it out in a few weeks. BTW! on a differant note. I finally found the best strings for the best sound out of my 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic. Ernie Ball COBALT Hybrid Slinkys 9 to 46. They just work much better at giving me more output from my pups and it doesn't have as much mud on the low end. I still use GHS Boomers on my other 2 Les Pauls because thay sound better with the ZW active EMGs I have in them.

• 3 weeks later...

Still trying to comprehend why, if they knew these things wore badly why they did not refit them at the factory????

The thought of changing out the nut on my LP is not something I want to try. Have to find a qualified guitar expert, wherever they may be.

So far I have no issues with mine. Nice to be bummed out. I so much dig this guitar and the features. I get the classic vintage thing and all that but this is one sweet instrument that just has me playing like nothing has inspired me in years. I also like the '61s a lot.

Thanks for the heads up - I need to give Gibson a call as well then, and get the new updated nut sent out for my '15 LP Special Double Cut.

No problems with the stock zero fret brass nut yet, but it will be nice to get the new one - just in case..

Hope you get a easier time than I did. Gibson Europe wanted me to send a copy of my proof of purchase (invoice) and a photograph of the ruts in the nut.

• 1 month later...

5.) One of the major flaws of the G Force tuner is the way it will tune "down" into pitch.

Anyone versed in decent guitar tech... blah blah blah

The GForce doesn't tune down to any pitch. When tuning down it tunes down past the pitch then back up to the desired pitch.

blah to you as well, typical response from someone who has not paid any attention to anything including the G force unit itself.

My unit does indeed tune "down" into pitch plain as day. Let me guess we need to film it??

Another stupid attack of baseless issue when anyone can see the damn unit plainly notching into tuning down and/or up into pitch. I noticed mine doing it the first time I used it and the reason it does not hold tuning for a few minutes. Maybe my software is different??

And of course I have not seen it do it countless times which prompted me to say something about or WHY it goes out of tune constantly!!!

What I cannot figure out is if some of you are just stupid and/or insane.

Does it hurt that much when you are just wrong all the time, constantly misunderstand everything, or is it you cannot accept anyone above your experience or IQ?

If I said it, you can take it to the bank as true, else I have no comment on something if I am not sure. I would not presume to state something I knew nothing about. I leave that to the blog "legends".

Here we go again.

Suppose he was wrong (I doubt it...but SUPPOSE he was), does correcting you make it so he deserves such a personal attack? Even if he was incorrect?

You take offence to things easily, possibly misunderstand others as attacking you when they aren't. But when YOU throw out stuff like this, it just makes a pleasant thread become not so pleasant anymore. Can't blame others for that, now can we?

He's too humble to toot his own horn, and I am not sure I want to rub it in for you, but if you knew who he was and his experience, you would feel absolutely silly for this last post.

blah to you as well, typical response from someone who has not paid any attention to anything including the G force unit itself.

My unit does indeed tune "down" into pitch plain as day. Let me guess we need to film it??

Another stupid attack of baseless issue when anyone can see the damn unit plainly notching into tuning down and/or up into pitch. I noticed mine doing it the first time I used it and the reason it does not hold tuning for a few minutes. Maybe my software is different??

And of course I have not seen it do it countless times which prompted me to say something about or WHY it goes out of tune constantly!!!

What I cannot figure out is if some of you are just stupid and/or insane.

Does it hurt that much when you are just wrong all the time, constantly misunderstand everything, or is it you cannot accept anyone above your experience or IQ?

If I said it, you can take it to the bank as true, else I have no comment on something if I am not sure. I would not presume to state something I knew nothing about. I leave that to the blog "legends".

Tune your GForce to standard tuning. That's "E" on the red bank. Then select drop D tuning. That's "G" on the Red bank. Now strum the low E string and watch the tuner tune down from E past low D then back up to low D.

Did you notice it? No? Then try it again until you see it.

Oh... and the Gibson engineers didn't design the GForce. Tronical engineers did.

I can't wait to read your calm, rational, fact filled and well reasoned reply...

:rolleyes:

OK, I realize I was dead wrong about the G force tuning down.

That being said I will have to leave the board as surely everything I say from this point on will be tossed in my face as if I am wrong about everything which is absurd.

The issue on saddle positions to intonation is correct.

Now to explain my brain fart on the G force. First off I am completely new to the Les Paul and the G Force unit.

I have been playing Strat type 6 in line tuner guitars for 40 yrs.

I got screwed in my cabasa watching the G force tune, because my friends the tuning machine are opposite to my Strats.

When you turn the key away towards the neck top Strat's go sharp but on the G force it is opposite, that warped my brain as it seemed like it was tuning flat into pitch.

SO my bad. I apologize. I've been an idiot on this matter.

I tested the unit trhoughly today with an external unit and indeed you are right, I was wrong about the G force.

Now why it does not hold tuning still is a mystery to me.

So friends, saddle step to intonation is correct, test it.

G force, I was an idiot.

Since I care not to dwell on castigation or have that thrown in my face from now on I leave you.

Archived