Gibson Brands Forums

What Amps are you playing your Gibson guitar through?

arlum

I know this is the Gibson forum but Gibson amps, when they bother to release them, don't play in the same ballpark with Gibson guitars. I'm talking about Gibson guitars and their renown for usage with specific amps. Gibson and Marshall. Ted Nugent's Byrdland / Fender combo. Pete Townshend's Gibson SG / Hiwatt combo, For this thread the guitar is a Gibson production or Custom Shop model teamed up with whatever amp you love playing it through. What is / are the amplifier(s) you own and utilize to give an audible voice to your Gibson guitar? Which Gibson guitar into which amp produces your tone?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio with active ZW EMG 81/85, 2012 ZW Les Paul Custom Plus Bullseye all run through a Fender Mustang V 150W Stereo Head with a 4X12 200W Stereo Fender Mustang Cab.

603392_429738163735811_561663465_n.jpg?oh=4a43c7a9dda4c3dd569ec06e3e533cf3&oe=562287B2

10750269_818461954863428_6240103895711745394_o.jpg

542598_519300381446255_1442866081_n.jpg?oh=601b68614bd923493f406f8666d3ff2e&oe=5624EF4F

426086_336403319735963_843037241_n.jpg?oh=b6ffafca8774d7470685caab98e30268&oe=561429E1

Great question, arlum.

I play my Gibson thru a variety of amplifiers, depending upon what's going on, and whether there's a live gig happening or not.

My main amp is a Fender 212R.

2 x 12, 100w, and loud as all get out.

I have a Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 that I use for specific effects.

Last year I acquired a Tube Works TD-652 tube amp that we have used on stage upon occasion.

It is quirky, noisy, and chock-full of tone.

Today I practiced a bunch of songs and lead runs thru my Crate BT-25 bass amp.

It has a bass octaving feature that I like a lot.

Sometimes I will run my guitar thru my Crate Telluride acoustic amplifier.

It has some great tones and a variety of effects and features that make it my go-to amp.

I also have a very old Marshall amp and an even older Fender practice amp.

I am very precious about those two, truth be told.

I would rather not share any details, if you would be so understanding.

Both were made in the early 1980's, and they are like children to me.

:o

This may well be boring to most folks. My main, and only, amp at this point is a Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. Relatively new offering, it's built around the '65 DRRI with some factory "mods": Both channels have reverb and Trem; The first input sets are configured to be more "tweed" in tone- Fender describes it as "bassman stack-like". I like the amp a lot- whereas the '65DRRI can be pretty "bright" and many folks clip the "bright caps"- it appears to have been done away with in this amp. The trannies are "Shumacher" which is reportedly what was used in the original transitional Deluxe Reverb amps (when Fender went to blueface printing). Oh yeah...it has blueface appointments- drip edge etc.

Future mods are planned- will have it re-done point-to-point nd will be changing out the speaker to a Weber Blue Dog or possibly a Tone Tubby.

I'm looking into solid state offerings- particularly the Roland Blues Cube. Reportedly has very tube-like tone, has enough power and has a line out for church: our sound guys, who in our case are somewhat behind the curve in actual band sound reinforcement, will not even attempt to mic up an amp.

Also looking into effects to tastefully alter my tone and freshen things up a bit...but that's another story!

Brian

1961 Gibson Melody Maker into 2 x 1994 Fender Princeton 112+ SS amps would be most common setup if I'm using the Gibson. Most rehearsals are on communes on rough dirt roads (goat tracks) and the idea of tube amps getting thrown around in the back of 4WD's is not a happy one [biggrin]

SWEET! Please tell about the amp! I'm behind the curve, particularly relative to Mesa's offerings- but had owned a Nomad once that I should not have sold...

Brian

Thanks Brian, It's a Mesa TA (Transatlantic) and called that because it has 3 settings that includes a British sound, Fender tweed sound and a Mesa sound (fairly heavy gain that sustains forever). It also has 3 output settings where you can play using 45 watts, 30 or 15. I love mesa's crunch sound and I am a dinosaur so I pretty much play just the amp with no pedals. switch between clean and crunch and then use the guitar volume for solos. Nicest sounding amp I have ever had!

Phillip

As far as playing with friends and around the house Ive had several small Marshall amps but the best home use amp Ive played through is my Vox VT40. It is a semi tube amp that easily goes into overdrive/saturation and produces a R&R crunch sound like no other small amp Ive seen. I've read where others have changed the vacuum tube but I found the original suited classic rock styles.

Vox VT40 Valvetronix

FSR Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III is my main amp and I've started using a Fender Passport Mini a lot since I got one a few months ago. The Passport Mini is really good for small gigs and I'm really impressed with it all round.

I use a Blackstar HT1-R 1watt valve amp, 2 channel: clean and high gain. It's perfect for home use and has a headphone/emulated output and MP3 line input. Can also connect the amp into a external speaker cabinet. The ISF (Infinite Shape Feature) allows you to tweak the tone you want from: Fender like to Marshall like tones. It's a really simple layout control wise. I can get all the sounds that I want with this little amp. Even though it's 1watt, I still get told to "turn it down" :lol:

I've included a photo of the amps controls, this is the setting I like, I mainly use the clean channel. If I want a little more grit I turn the gain knob up. It doesn't have an effects loop, but I have no problems with my pedals. The reverb on the amp is set to zero, as I use a Digitech Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Reverb, which has a lovely Spring Reverb. Volume between 3 and 5 o clock.

kind regards, Emma :)

20150704_111648_zpsxoxfk0bm_edit_1436005104795_zpspkovsvcp.jpg20150704_104450_zpslbxu5z8b.jpg

A JCM900 Mk III when I'm in the room where most of the instruments are, and an MS2 in my bedroom. They sound basically the same, one's just bigger. I like the splatter fart sound that Marshalls make.

The only Gibsons I have are an ES-125TDC and an SG special. The -125 stays in my bedroom with my Orville and a cheap Washburn Strat copy.

I've a few amps around the house. I've found my Gibson CS-336 likes to play through these ....

Concert%20013_zpsk7nvelwl.jpg

An '84 Fender Concert running two 12" Celestion G12H-75 Creambacks and an '83 Fender Concert 4 X 10" running a pair of Celestion G10 Golds over a pair of Eminence Redcoat Ramrods.

My preferred amp with my Gibbies is an 18 watt Marshall clone (Ceriatone) into a 4-10 Marshall cab.

IMG_3405.jpg

Though more often I gig with Fender guitars and an old Princeton or two. Works better with my folky trio than the Gibson/Marshall! :)

IMG_4590_2.jpg

Archived