Gibson Brands Forums

1970 tube amp?

lordraptor1

i have some questions and this is the best option for where to ask considering. anyway, i am working a trade deal for an older 70's tube amp. ok the thin gis it is a CMI electronics sg systems sg-212 which all my research points it to being made when cmi owned gibson in the 70's but other than that and a youtube vid of a dude showing and playing on one i cant find anything on these online about these old amps so if you know anything about these old amps and can answer the following questions i would be greatly appreciated.

1. is an sg-212 full tube or is it hybrid?

2. what were the stock tubes used in these amps?

3. what would it be worth in todays vintage market?

i did manage to talk to a guy in OKC who said he had a couple of them and said that to the right buyer it would be worth $1200.00 and i personally like to get confirmation/second opinion on that, plus he just kept saying he had original schematics and such but didnt seem to interested in giving any other input.

so if you can help i would appreciate it, thanks.

Because of the things heat does to tube amplifiers I wonder if you could even luck up and get a good one?

If that amp works then jump on it.

person that has it said he recently had it service and new tubes put in but that doesnt answer my questions LOL. i really need to know what were the original tubes that they left the factory with?, is it a full tube or is it a hybrid tube solid state?, and lastly is the guy in OKC right that $1200 is a good starting point asking price.

Because of the things heat does to tube amplifiers I wonder if you could even luck up and get a good one?

If that amp works then jump on it.

well gues what it does indeed work, and when it was serviced the tech did the changes to run 6l6 tubes instead of the harder to find 8417. power cord had broken ground min so i replaced teh cord with a beefier 14 awg medium duty one instead of the stock 16 AWG light duty that was on it. i took the chassis out of the cab to clean some of the dust out and found a couple of cracked "tropical fish" caps ( yet it still works ROFL) which i have ordered and will be replacing when they arrive.

so far i have found conflicting info but what i have been able to find is that they were made late 60's through the 70's ( however the "acoustically voiced for SG" speakers have a numberon them which can actually confirm or bust the years made with the number on them). for example the speakers have on them 52-7 with a space inbetween that and the next set of numbers which is 677448, this speaker number tells me ( fyi 52-7 means nothign as far as i can tell) that it is an eminance speaker ( as taken from the 67 which is the EIA code for eminence, 74 could mean 7 month of 1964, 7 month of 1974 or just 1974 LOL but teh only thing i can say for sure is that it is a 50% split between those saying 64 and those saying 74 as time is was made ( although i will continue looking for positive date id on it.

sadly the leather on the handle is dry rotted and it is missing a knob on the dynamic voice section but otherwise it is in perfect shape :D.

only thing that would please me more is finding someone willing to pay the $1200 that the person at norms rare guitars told me it was worth when i called them the other day LOL. sadly fleabay is putting a damper on that with everyone basing prices on sold non working heads and the more common 4x10 and 6x10 combos.

still trying to track down info in regards to the foot switch for the phase shifter so i can make one since i cant find an original and reading that those that have found them have paid 250 + for the switch makes me look for an alternative. basically i know the foto switch had 3 stomp switches and it was a funky 6 pin plug however the only pic i have seen of the foot switch is confusing to me because it looks like, well here is the pic i have:

sg212%20footswitch.jpg

basically if i read that pic correctly the diagram is nothing more than putting the low (blue) mid ( yellow) and high (red) switches in a remote floor position so you would activate them via the floor instead of flipping them on the amp front panel.

anyway, the amp is almost ready to sell or trade, i just have to wait for the tropical fish caps to get here then install them. it does work but i am not comfortable firing it up with those 2 cracked tropical fish caps in it LOL.

Archived