Gibson Brands Forums

hello

Robin B.

Please help me I'd my black beauty serial number embossed on headstock 990468 with a transfer sticker with made in USA on it. Pick ups have P.A.F. stamped on them. They look old. The binding is yellowed sounds wonderful best sounding of all my Gibson's I ha c en 4 others plus an Explorer and a Firebird. Please help

Robin B,

Could you describe in better detail exactly what it is you need help with?

Do you need to know the value and/or age of the black beauty guitar?

By that serial number it is older than 1977, I can tell you that much.

Is it a Les Paul, or some other model?

It is a black beauty les paul. It weighs in at about I don't know 9 lbs maybe. It is a true Gibson I know that. From everything I can find it appears to be a 1968. Not worried about value she isn't going anywhere I call her Black Bettie. She sounds great.

Robin B,

Robin B,

Okay, by pondering and examining Gibson's own website (describing serial number protocols for such instruments) yours is a 1968 model.

And from a few other websites, it looks like yours was made between March and June of that year.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure about this one.

The actual model, by researching thru The 14th Edition Blue Book of Electric Guitar Values, is the Gibson Les Paul Custom.

The color is called Ebony.

It is worth:

Mint condition: $14,000

Excellent + condition: $11,200

Excellent condition: $9,100

Very good +: $7,000

Very good: $5,600

Good: $4,550

I hope this helps.

Sorry it took so long.

PS If it does turn out that the Black Betty is indeed made later than 1968 (like 1970 or so, as one other poster hypothesized) then the Blue Book values are less than half of those I listed above for a true 1968 model.

It would be worth calling Gibson to make sure.

There's an enormous delta in the value there, and for estate sales (later on after you are gone from this earth) it would be helpful for your family to know.

Do you live near a large city?

Most big towns have a shop that does quality, professional appraisals (for a modest fee).

Thank you so much. This is delightful. I knew she was a 1968 Black Beauty. She sounds great and is truly in mint condition. I need one more bit of information. How can you distinguish a custom shop les paul vs a regular one off the hanger. What did they do in the 50 AND 60'S to build a custom shop. Are were all custom made in the custom shop. Again thank you so much this is truly a good investment. And the price was just unbelievable. I am in a happy zone.

Guest Farnsbarns

A Les Paul Custom is not (or was not) a custom shop model. The custom was named long before they even conceived of "custom shop".

It's a very very desirable guitar and I would say those values are way low. A mint 68 Custom would be £20000 over here, at least. Now I don't know the market there but I would have thought $20000 which I'd £14000. Most things seem to sell over there in $ for what we sell for in £.

Archived