Gibson Brands Forums

1952 Gibson LG1

BluesKing777

I thought I was immune to GAS. Now I have to try to figure out how to get my '64 LG1 back from my son. Still has the plastic bridge. I agree - ebony is the way to go.

That is the unique sound many can't appreciate, dissing it because of the ladder back construction inside.

That is why these guitars can get a little pricey.

Thanks!

The LG1 needs a neck set, so there is only a slither of saddle..and a few light cracks/splits and plain old holes here and there and it was really an Ebay con, and not much of a bargain, but who's laughing now? That ebony bridge, the bone saddle and bone nut lift the guitar into space! It just 'responds' when I dig in.

I saw a very famous guitarist playing ragtime on a mint one on the Youtube and this one is never going to to do that, but open D and slide, well.....

So ditch those nylon saddles and plastic bridges and even the worn out rosewood bridges...grab a bottleneck and put it in Open D. Way cheaper than a National, but not the bargain they use to be.

BluesKing777.

While I have never been enamored with the LG-1s as far as ladder braced guitars go, that is some of the nicest playing I have heard in a long time. Just a great version of that tune.

Saddles, I am not picky as long as they are not rosewood or ceramic. Bridges - also am not picky and don't care as long as they ain't plastic. For some open D bottleneck, an all-birch Supertone or Harmony Stella works great. They generally need a neck reset and have a hollow, slightly metallic ring to begin with.

While I have never been enamored with the LG-1s as far as ladder braced guitars go, that is some of the nicest playing I have heard in a long time. Just a great version of that tune.

Saddles, I am not picky as long as they are not rosewood or ceramic. Bridges - also am not picky and don't care as long as they ain't plastic. For some open D bottleneck, an all-birch Supertone or Harmony Stella works great. They generally need a neck reset and have a hollow, slightly metallic ring to begin with.

Thanks Zombi!

I have never seen, or played either a Supertone or H. Stella.

BluesKing777.

hahaha...that was an awesome gig too. Jerry Hendrix, Richie Cravens, Denise Joplin, 9 Years After,Johnny Autumn....all the big Victorian acts were there!

Did you manage to get there too, FB?

The Almond Brothers were hot!!!! A bit nutty...

But Saturday night, well, was that the night or what? An unforgettable night - after the cake judging, we all had ....groan.....

Flour...in our hair....... [biggrin]

Woodstock08a_zps2cbd3e53.jpg

BluesKing777.

On the Sunday morning there were rumours some people had bad trips - on some tree stumps out the side of the hall where there no lights......

Solly.... [glare]

And some had bad mushrooms, probably on the pizza slices....

BluesKing777.

Ps. I have to tell you how shocked I was at how big the Woodstock sign looked when I leaned the guitar on it....

Archived