Gibson Brands Forums

What is the method called???

kelly campbell

Famed guitar player and noise-maker deluxe Adrian Belew calls this 'neck bending'.

If you do it a LOT, you won't be doing your neck and neck-joint any favors.

Jeff Beck does it every now and then, but only on rare occasions.

It's a show-boat kind of stunt.

Not a valid or recommended technique.

I have done it onstage exactly once.

We finished a particularly good song, and were winding down toward the grand finale (with the drummer thrippity-thrunking it down to the finish, the bass player winding down to the last note, and me schwanging that last chord out to it's last feedback harmonic) and, right before the last coordinated *ta-dant*, I gave the neck a little bend with that howling sustain going.

It was actually pretty cool, but (ultimately) kind of stupid.

Did I mention that we had been drinking?

:mellow:

I sure wouldn't do it. Even if it has no negative effect on the guitar, I'd still not do it. Besides, my style of music is far more mundane than that....lol... [crying]

Yep kinda what I am thinking, just don't know how it could be a good for a guitar, but wanted to hear from people who know far more than I do on the subject. Thanks

I'd love to see the look on my luthier's face if I asked him about this method. He is a very cautious man that recommends changing strings one at a time after a setup. I can only imagine his horror if I told him I was using the neck as a whammy bar.

Archived