Gibson Brands Forums

AJ45-ME vs. DR500MCE

olie

Has anyone compared the "new" AJ45 to the DR500 or EF500?I know it's a bit "apples and oranges" but I was wondering about tone, playability etc.There was so much buzz pre-release and things seem quiet now. Is the jury still out?

I got the Masterbilt AJ-500 yesterday - my first impressions are good - it is a bigger guitar - feels bigger than a Texan or an AJ 220 somehow but it is about the same size. Heavier than the Texan and the 220 too. Has a lovely mellow tone - more like the AJ-45 than the Texan or the AJ 220. Is it a keeper - dunno yet - need to play it for a few days [thumbup]

I got the Masterbilt AJ-500 yesterday - my first impressions are good - it is a bigger guitar - feels bigger than a Texan or an AJ 220 somehow but it is about the same size. Heavier than the Texan and the 220 too. Has a lovely mellow tone - more like the AJ-45 than the Texan or the AJ 220. Is it a keeper - dunno yet - need to play it for a few days [thumbup]

Thanks, Mick- what I was really wondering about was the new AJ 45 and how it compared to the previous generation of Masterbilts.I know it's early days but there seems to be a dearth of info re. the AJ 45. Maybe because it took Epi so long to release them after the protracted "foreplay".Someone must have bought one-folks hereabouts are buying just about everything else!Seems eerily quiet.

Thanks, Mick- what I was really wondering about was the new AJ 45 and how it compared to the previous generation of Masterbilts.I know it's early days but there seems to be a dearth of info re. the AJ 45. Maybe because it took Epi so long to release them after the protracted "foreplay".Someone must have bought one-folks hereabouts are buying just about everything else!Seems eerily quiet.

Olie, They (some members) will surely jump on me from a great height but IMHO the AJ-45 ME is the best sounding and feeling guitar I have - It is 6 years younger than the AJ-500 I just got and it sounds to me more played in. The feel of a sorter scale with the slightly less deep body is somehow just right. I have liked my AJ-45 since I got it and I would say it is as good (if not better) than the other Masterbilts. Why people have taken against it because of the matte finish I really do not know. If you look at the Epiphone site http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic/Electric/Masterbilt-2015-AJ-45ME.aspx you will see comments from both sides but look at the Sweetwater site - people who have bought them say they like them. You just gotta try one to know. I will stick my neck out and say outright that the AJ-45 is close to a J45 and at the price is hard to beat.

I absolutely agree with you Mick. I have been playing mine for a few weeks now and it just keeps getting better and better. The feel is just right, the tone is right on, and the fit and finish are super.The way they did the burst up close is beautiful as well, though many would want the gloss, I have a feeling it will look very vintage as it ages, like some of those Gibsons from the 40's. I agree that it is so close to a J-45 in sound and play at a fraction of the cost. Its hard to put down, it has become my go to guitar. I would highly recommend it.

I'm happy to see the AJ-45 gettin some love here. When I played one at GC last month, I was impressed. I agree, for a new guitar it sounded " opened up" and I really like the satin, vintage look. Gloss is cool, but not a necessity IMHO.

Let each man have his own preference when it comes to choosing a new guitar.

Thanks folks for the input. This the real stuff I was hoping to hear and now I need to check one out. I love my DR500mce (just put on a fresh set of elixirs-my,my!)but you've gotta take a peek at what's out there.Now if anyone has an opinion on the plugged in sound I'd be even happier.Keep those thoughts coming.Cheers.

Thanks folks for the input. This the real stuff I was hoping to hear and now I need to check one out. I love my DR500mce (just put on a fresh set of elixirs-my,my!)but you've gotta take a peek at what's out there.Now if anyone has an opinion on the plugged in sound I'd be even happier.Keep those thoughts coming.Cheers.

Olie I don't really use mine "plugged in" but the pickup is like the one in the Texan. It is a simple but effective affair (under-saddle) with Vol Bass Treble controls in the sound hole. Look at any Youtube for Epiphones with similar pickup - Nanoflex I think.

When I have tried it I think it is quite good and gives a natural acoustic type sound - better than one I tried in a Martin X series

Back to the AJ-500 - I have done a set up on this guitar yesterday - crowned and polished frets - lowered action at nut and bridge - oiled fretboard - put new Martin 12 - 54 80/20 bronze on it (I put these on as I had them laying about) Result - This guitar still feels heavy (I don't mean just in weight - which it is - but there is fight in it when I play) I tried tuning to Eb (which I have only had to do once before with a Crafter solid top Jumbo). That made it easier and lighter to play but I have now decided to put 11s on it - for the first time I can remember with an acoustic. I ordered some Martin 11 - 52 bronze. So watch this space.

And Simon, sorry if you are reading this as it was your guitar once and I am sure you felt it was ok.

Just to add re the sound - the guitar does have a very mellow woody tone but I find the bass very boomy and thick - even for me and I like the Epiphone thump. We'll see what difference the 11s make

to me the question is, is the AJ-45ME worth $200 more than the IB 64 Texan? I like the finish on the Sunburst Texan better. I'd sure like to A-B them.

If you must have a bright shinning looking guitar with a thick neck, then the Texan is for you. Yes, it is a cannon, but I prefer the Masterbilt playability and sweet subtly. I had a Texan and I did not like it the way I like my AJ-500 and I feel that the AJ-45 is the the best Masterbilt to date.

to me the question is, is the AJ-45ME worth $200 more than the IB 64 Texan? I like the finish on the Sunburst Texan better. I'd sure like to A-B them.

The aj45 has a far nicer tone than the Texan. In comparison the Texan sounds more harsh boxy less mellow. The aj45 has a mellow woody tone. And it can be polished to a nice vintage looking sheen

Update on the aj500. I have put a set of Martin 11s on it and it plays like a dream. I'm not fighting it anymore.As I said previously, I have only had this tight/heavy playing experience with a Crafter Jumbo. Seems some guitars just need lighter strings.

Thanks for the input guys. I think most of the critics (me included) made our comments based on what we heard on the net and what we saw but now that they are in the stores, perhaps it's time to do a reassessment. I still am not feeling that cloudy burst finish though, but now I want to play one and make my own assessment. While I can't speak for anyone but myself, I can say with confidence that we all wanted the AJ-45 to be a smashing success.

Thanks for the input guys. I think most of the critics (me included) made our comments based on what we heard on the net and what we saw but now that they are in the stores, perhaps it's time to do a reassessment. I still am not feeling that cloudy burst finish though, but now I want to play one and make my own assessment. While I can't speak for anyone but myself, I can say with confidence that we all wanted the AJ-45 to be a smashing success.

well, considering that online retailers sell them as soon as they get them and the reviews left; I would say they are a smashing success.

Archived