Gibson Brands Forums

Starter Guitars with Coil Splitting

Zentar

The introduction of coil splitting on even cheapy starter guitars is actually making old style guitars obsolete like Windows 98. Soon you won't be able to buy a guitar without robot tuners and coil splitting. Single phase coils and manual tuning keys are becoming like tube amplifiers.

I think a good majority of players want and have tube amps.What is a single phase coil? I have heard of single coils.

A single phase to my understanding is a single coil pup. A humbucker has two coils which are phased against each other and buck the hum common in single phase single cols. Humbuckers are two opposing phases which cancel out the 60hz hum you can get on single coils. Correct my French if that is wrong.

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey everybody, Thought I would chime in on starter guitars that have that feature. I just bought an epi 335 pro yesterday, don't have it yet but am looking forward to trying it out. I have an e-series MIJ squire strat so I am familiar with the single coil sound. I'm sure I'll use it once in a while but it's hard to beat the sound of a good humbucker!!! just my 2 cents.

• 3 months later...

Archived