Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Confusion

IanHenry

I've been thinking about changing the pickups on my Les Paul (not for the first time)and I'm a little confused by the options that Gibson give. It's currently fitted with 57 & 57 plus, but I don't feel that I've got any power in the bridge pickup (it sounds a little thin) and whilst the neck pickup does give a nice creamy sound, I don't feel that I've got the ability to go any brighter should I want to.

I played a reissue guitar last week (apparently it was a 59/60 limited edition crossover model?)which sounded good, but I thought the guitar was pretty awful otherwise, and the guy in the shop reckoned it was a bargain at £4600!

I've been looking at what pickups Gibson has to offer and I'm finding it a little confusing, because the website claims that the 57 Classics and the Burstbucker 2&3 are like the original "PAF" models. Will those pickups give me what I want which is a classic blues/rock ala Peter Green (no I don't want to go as far as reversing the polarity), Paul Kossoff and Snowy White sound?

Comparisons here:

http://store.gibson.com/compare/254/260/265/266

Ian

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

But all those guys sound different. So did all PAFs. They were made to no tolerance so they range from very cool to quite hot. Tightly wound to quite loose, matched coils to utterly unmatched.

I'm sure you know what you're chasing but it's not going to be possible to define it by a pickup model.

Check out the Angus Young Signature, perfect match for the 57 Classic.

And very versatile, it can do lot's of things not only AC/DC.

It was maybe thought for SG's but it sounds awesome in my Les Paul.

It is a really nice pickup for playing with your volume and tone knobs.

And depending on your amp and the settings I think you could come really close to the tone you are looking for.

It is similar to the 498T, but a bit less harsh, at least for my taste it sounds better.

Hello Ian.

Livebuckers. AlNiCo III Gibson pickups. Also known as Custombuckers.

In my opinion, they have the best vintage character.

Cheers... Bence

Bence, are those the pickups that they use in the re-issues?

Ian

If the output of the 57 Classic Plus is not enough for you m then you don't really want a traditional PAF - at least in terms of output since they hover around 7.5k. A better choice might be the 498T - they are plenty crunchy at about 13.5k

This chart may help.

Gibson-Pickup-Output-guide.jpg

Or this list of values w/magnet types...

Gibson Burstbucker Pro (sim: BB1,Alnico5, potted) 7.4 KO

Gibson Burstbucker Pro (sim: BB2, Alnico5, potted) 8.0 KO

Gibson Burstbucker 1 (Alnico2) 7.5 KO

Gibson Burstbucker 2 (Alnico2) 8.0 - 8.4 KO

Gibson Burstbucker 3 (Alnico2) 8.2 - 8.8 KO

Gibson '57 Classic (Alnico5) 7.44 - 8.5 KO

Gibson '57 ClassicPlus (Alnico5) 9.0 KO

Gibson Dirty Fingers (2xCeramic) 16.0 KO

Gibson 490R (Alnico2) 7.2 - 7.83 KO

Gibson 490T (Alnico2) 7.9 - 8.53 KO

Gibson 498T (Alnico5) 12.32-13.46 KO

Gibson 496R (Ceramic) 8.3 - 8.63 KO

Gibson 500T (Ceramic) 14 – 15 KO

Gibson Angus Young (Alnico5) 13.5 KO

Gibson Tommy Iommi (Alnico2+Ceramic) 16.5 KO

Guest Farnsbarns

Custombuckers vary depending on the model, usually in things like CC models and copying a specific pickup. Reissues generally have burstbuckers but be aware that burstbuckers sold aftermarket are potted where as those factory fitted in RI'S are not.

There is no BEST. Put in the pups you like and call it a day.

Best for you does not always mean best for me.

For sure. [thumbup] I'm a big fan of pups in the 8k range - up to 10k, but not hotter generally. Since the OP indicated the Classic+ was not hot enough (9k) I figure something like the 498T might be just the ticket. If I was looking for anything hotter than that, I'd put a Seymour Duncan JB in there - 16k but still alnico 5 magnet. That's a screamer.

FZ Fan is right...there is no one "BEST." There's only what suits each of us best. I've used these a few times (haven't bought a set - they're very spendy) and they are the closest to a true PAF I've ever heard.

PAF Clone

Exceptionally sweet tone, but that being said, keep in mind Les HATED distortion and was always looking for the cleanest tone he could get. These deliver, but their break-up threshold is probably going to be higher than on most PAF style pickups. Still...worth a listen.

Ian I think the amp, or preamp stage could use a boost to help you gain up satisfactorily. Low gain pups are my preference because they can clean up and in between clean / dirty is some kind of charming warmth, typically a blend somewhere with both pups. Its one of those things where you could never have enough personalities so a RM4 is verrry appealing to me, Mesa and Marshall, very cool, but we can have more. (!!)

Pin, loving the MHS I take it? Wish I would have chosen those, really want to experiment w/them and see them on the ES Les Paul more often that in the 335 style, Les Paul infinitely more popular locally, unfortunately.

Surfpup, very informative. I learned something there, useful info and thank you.

For sure. [thumbup] I'm a big fan of pups in the 8k range - up to 10k, but not hotter generally. Since the OP indicated the Classic+ was not hot enough (9k) I figure something like the 498T might be just the ticket. If I was looking for anything hotter than that, I'd put a Seymour Duncan JB in there - 16k but still alnico 5 magnet. That's a screamer.

I'm right with you, though my range is a little tighter; 8.5k to 9k for bridge, 7k to just under 8k for neck. The magic number for me seems to be 8.5k; it's the perfect balance between output and clarity to my ears.

-Ryan

Thanks everyone for all the great advise. It's not exactly "hotter" that I'm looking for, I know it's the PAF sound I want, it's just my bridge pickup sounds trebly but it's a little "thin". My neck pickup sounds great, but the problem is it's only got the one sound, I can't get anymore treble from it because the control is full up. The trouble with buying after market pickups is you can't really try them before you buy.

Ian

Thanks everyone for all the great advise. It's not exactly "hotter" that I'm looking for, I know it's the PAF sound I want, it's just my bridge pickup sounds trebly but it's a little "thin". My neck pickup sounds great, but the problem is it's only got the one sound, I can't get anymore treble from it because the control is full up. The trouble with buying after market pickups is you can't really try them before you buy.

Ian

Pickups qualify for returns at GC/MF, and SD will directly do exchanges for a period. I got my WLHs from Sweetwater ... not sure their policy on returning pups, but I figured I could keep exchanging with SD if I needed to. I didn't need to. [biggrin]

Pickups qualify for returns at GC/MF, and SD will directly do exchanges for a period. I got my WLHs from Sweetwater ... not sure their policy on returning pups, but I figured I could keep exchanging with SD if I needed to. I didn't need to. [biggrin]

Sorry ... I see you're in the UK. I guess Sweetwater, GC, MF don't help you much.

Guest Farnsbarns

MF and GC will deliver here. Not sure about the returns policy, could be different. There's the return shipping cost to consider as well. Just saying, they will deliver here.

MF and GC will deliver here. Not sure about the returns policy, could be different. There's the return shipping cost to consider as well. Just saying, they will deliver here.

I *assumed* shipping costs would be prohibitive. Do Anderton's or others carry SD pups? Maybe the exchange can be done thru the dealer ...

I've been thinking about changing the pickups on my Les Paul (not for the first time)and I'm a little confused by the options that Gibson give. It's currently fitted with 57 & 57 plus, but I don't feel that I've got any power in the bridge pickup (it sounds a little thin) and whilst the neck pickup does give a nice creamy sound, I don't feel that I've got the ability to go any brighter should I want to.

Ian

Raise the height of the pickups. There is a recommended height but it's your guitar. Raise them as close to the strings as you can without the strings touching the pickup. This will give you more output.

The best humbuckers I've used are the SD Pearly Gates at $225 a pair. however you may get what you want from raising the pckup heights(no cost).

Archived