Gibson Brands Forums

torrefied tops

j45nick

With Martin making a bit of a splash over torrefied tops in some models, can Gibson be far behind? And how much more can we expect to pay for them?

Stewmac supplies a lot of luthier woods, and I use their prices as benchmarks for looking at relative costs. I got an email this morning saying they now carry torrefied sitka soundboards.

The cost of a AAA conventional Sitka dreadnought-sized soundboard is $44.10. The cost of a torrefied AAA Sitka dreadnought soundboard is $57.69.

I would bet, however, that you aren't going to get charged $15 for a torrefied spruce soundboard upgrade when you buy a guitar.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am on the trusty iPad so have no idea how to paste a link, though I am sure we could.....

Gibson is experimenting with torrefied tops - saw something a while back.

Of course Martin and Taylor and boutique builders have there own versions, and names.

Have a look at the Martin 000-18 with torrefied top on with Matt playing on Eddies Guitars video - very, very nice.

So the triumvirate would be torrefied top tonerited and (toothpasted - need someting with a 'T").... [mellow] Tooted?, Tickled?.....

BluesKing777.

I was fortunate enough to have played a J-45 with the Thermally Cured Top at Music Villa this year during the Gibson Homecoming. If it would have been for sale, it surly would have gone home with someone. Rather unbelievably great sound. I am a simple hack cowboy chord masher - and this was a dynamite instrument. The research and process is the result of a collaboration with the University of Minnesota Duluth's NRRI (Natural Resources Research Institute)- a virtual think tank and lab that has for decades been investigating the use and marketability of various materials, especially wood. My prediction is that these will be a huge winner for Gibson Acoustic - it was a very desirable guitar. Top was just ever so slightly darker in appearance. Its one of those where I would probably sell two, to acquire one.

image.jpg1_zpskt4qcpbj.jpg

I was fortunate enough to have played a J-45 with the Thermally Cured Top at Music Villa this year during the Gibson Homecoming. If it would have been for sale, it surly would have gone home with someone. Rather unbelievably great sound. I am a simple hack cowboy chord masher - and this was a dynamite instrument. The research and process is the result of a collaboration with the University of Minnesota Duluth's NRRI (Natural Resources Research Institute)- a virtual think tank and lab that has for decades been investigating the use and marketability of various materials, especially wood. My prediction is that these will be a huge winner for Gibson Acoustic - it was a very desirable guitar. Top was just ever so slightly darker in appearance. Its one of those where I would probably sell two, to acquire one.

I would really like to see Big Thumb do a comparison when these become readily available. Hearing is believing.

I havent read much about it but is it the tone aging process with the wood enyzymes treatment and all that ?

Coz my Furch has that and I swesr it sounds like a 70 year old guitar and is developing richer tonal complexity than any of my Gibsons.

I havent read much about it but is it the tone aging process with the wood enyzymes treatment and all that ?

Coz my Furch has that and I swesr it sounds like a 70 year old guitar and is developing richer tonal complexity than any of my Gibsons.

Here's a summary:

torrefaction

It has to be more expensive because of the extra steps involved. After starting with kiln dried wood, not only do they then "cook" the wood but afterwards place it in some kind of chamber to raise the moisture level. Whether there is any advantage when talking about sound I do not have a clue. I have not been able to figure out if there is any difference in that regard between air dried and kiln dried wood (other than the obvious advantage the kiln knocks weeks off the time needed to dry the wood). Those terrified tops though, sure are pretty. And as we know, folks will pay a premium for aesthetics.

Aha, so we'll now know what a 70 year old Taylor sounds ?

Yep, the latest craze in acoustic guitars - torrefaction (high temperature roasting, vintage sound, aging, accelerated aging, etc, etc...)

Taylor has torrefied tops in the 600 series (not sure about others).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNBtajOaSTs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv3cM0qQecY

Well…it looks like everyone is getting on this train……ToneRite now has a torrefied version of their vibrator…...Elliot capo has a terrified version of their famous capo, and RedBear now has a torrefied version of their Pick…………..

It looks like Musicans Friend has them on the web site. The j 45 is listed at $3999 and it says will ship July 17 th.

Nice catch - quite the price and it's a preorder (expected to ship 07-17-2015) - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-j-45-vintage-slope-shoulder-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar?rNtt=gibson%20j-45&index=16

Here's the sales copy-

"New for 2016, this J-45 Vintage model stays true to the original in every way, including the same round-shoulder dreadnought body design, an enhanced top made from Thermally Cured Adirondack red spruce which allows Gibson to replicate the aging process on the cellular level for legendary Gibson Acoustic vintage sound and appearance, custom vintage hide glue top bracing, and back and sides constructed from genuine mahogany.

Enhanced upgrades include period-correct style tuners for authenticity, and a finer grit sandpaper and polishing compounds have been used for the high gloss finish. This J-45 Vintage also has a premium setup utilizes state-of-the-art German-engineered Plek technology to create the finest playing surface possible. The J-45 is hand finished for the finest feel and playability, and its smoother hand rubbed and oiled fingerboard and bridges will help them last longer and maximizes the wood's natural vibrancy. Includes hardshell case."

Nice catch - quite the price and it's a preorder (expected to ship 07-17-2015) - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-j-45-vintage-slope-shoulder-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar?rNtt=gibson%20j-45&index=16

Here's the sales copy-

"New for 2016, this J-45 Vintage model stays true to the original in every way, including the same round-shoulder dreadnought body design, an enhanced top made from Thermally Cured Adirondack red spruce which allows Gibson to replicate the aging process on the cellular level for legendary Gibson Acoustic vintage sound and appearance, custom vintage hide glue top bracing, and back and sides constructed from genuine mahogany.

Enhanced upgrades include period-correct style tuners for authenticity, and a finer grit sandpaper and polishing compounds have been used for the high gloss finish. This J-45 Vintage also has a premium setup utilizes state-of-the-art German-engineered Plek technology to create the finest playing surface possible. The J-45 is hand finished for the finest feel and playability, and its smoother hand rubbed and oiled fingerboard and bridges will help them last longer and maximizes the wood's natural vibrancy. Includes hardshell case."

Richlite bridge!

Frankly, I think they may be gouging a bit on this guitar compared to a standard TV. Wonder what it would cost for a "straight" TV (no electronics, etc) but with a torrefied top? Based on what Stewmac sells torrefied tops for, if they are charging more than $100 more, I think it is a bit of "whatever the market will bear" pricing.

Archived