Gibson Brands Forums

Any opinions on the 335 Lemonburst?

jocce

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum, from Gothenburg, Sweden, and I am thinking about getting a third Gibson. I currently own an '85 Explorer, and a '75 LPC, and on my list is a 335. I really love bursts and flame maple, so I was thinking about getting a 2014 335 Lemonburst. Do you guys have any opinions on this particular guitar? I have the opportunity to get hold of one here in Sweden at about US$ 2200, and I think it might be a good investment... Do you agree?

I am quite biased but I think the 335 is the most versatile guitar out there. The '57 classic pickups are everything they are praised to be. That Lemonburst is drop dead gorgeous! I was dubious of the "Memphis tone circuit" because I have been partial to '50's wiring but I will never change it. It is perfect. I am able to get every sound/tone I'm looking for - fast and easily.

Lastly, that price is very, very good!

What are you waiting for man? Run, don't walk! Get it! [biggrin]

Good luck whatever your decision,

jv

I am quite biased but I think the 335 is the most versatile guitar out there. The '57 classic pickups are everything they are praised to be. That Lemonburst is drop dead gorgeous! I was dubious of the "Memphis tone circuit" because I have been partial to '50's wiring but I will never change it. It is perfect. I am able to get every sound/tone I'm looking for - fast and easily.

Lastly, that price is very, very good!

What are you waiting for man? Run, don't walk! Get it! [biggrin]

Good luck whatever your decision,

jv

Yeah, that is what I have heard, that the 335 is the most versatile guitar of all... The Lemonburst is equipped with DiMarzios though, but it's a PAF, so I guess they sound similar to the 57s. I have ordered the guitar to my local store, and I will go there and try it this week, so I hope it gets me on the hook... I would love to love it!

Yeah, that is what I have heard, that the 335 is the most versatile guitar of all... The Lemonburst is equipped with DiMarzios though, but it's a PAF, so I guess they sound similar to the 57s. I have ordered the guitar to my local store, and I will go there and try it this week, so I hope it gets me on the hook... I would love to love it!

ha, I see on the Gibson website that they are DiMarzios. Funny, the on-line retailers here are saying '57 classics...

For instance: Here They obviously just copied and pasted the 2014 standard ES-335 blurb.

I have never read a bad thing about the DiMarzios anyway.

Either way I think ES-335's are great.

The 335 is a great guitar and the Lemonburst finish is gorgeous.

Not sure about the investment value other than guitar prices continue to go up. If that particular model turned out to be collectible it's value would be increased, but that's hard to predict. I think your interest/desire in owning that model should be the key consideration.

First of all, welcome. I have one of the Lemon Burst 335s.

Your primary concern is price vs guitar condition. Since they retail for much higher my initial question is why so cheap? What's wrong with it? If nothing, then its a great price. EBay sellers have them listed at 2700-3200 typically, with no factory warranty. Retailers have them 3699 and discounted maybe $200 with warranty. I can't speak for everybody on price, obviously.

The guitar speaks for itself, finish is stunning and the double cream pickups compliment the cream accessories. Everything blends right together for one of Gibsons most stunning 335s ever.

Under the hood, the DP103 pickups will present a full range of frequencies. I do not mean they put out extreme highs and lows. Rather, 57s sound scooped, similar to the way a Mesa Boogie sounds scooped. DP103 is what I refer to as engineered sound, whereby the developers spent some time finding one that didn't leave out frequency ranges. The result is brilliant sounding cleans. Jangle and twang, in the 335 style are presented in heavy doses. Loud and full. Trying this with 57 Classics produces a tone that seems to skip the mids, you get bright, you get lows, but thin in the mid section. All of this time I play the clean voice channel on a Dual Rectifier, which is Fenderish 6L6 massive headroom. With reverb, Wow, the biggest boldest guitar I've ever played.

But... I am into everything, not just your typical Pink Floyd flashbacks. When a distortion is added, I am at a loss. I love the low gain growl, with its 335 character still coming though, but I also try some Scorpions style high gain and here is where I come up empty. A Les Paul would sound killer on high gain, the 57 Classics are lustrious and thick, they sing, but the DP103 is louder and more obnoxious, too obnoxious. And this has more to do with the pickups than the body style, my 57s are also in a 335 style semi hollow and they wail. No, the DP103s are too loud... just dropping the bridge pickup down to 9 fixes most everything. Here's where that Memphis Tone Circuit comes to the rescue.

I see you mentioned some other guitars. And those say to me, you enjoy high gain amps. You'll find that side by side the Lemon Burst tries to shoulder the other guitars out of the way, it's constsntly trying to put them to bed, saying 'I am louder'.

The 335 is a great guitar and the Lemonburst finish is gorgeous.

Not sure about the investment value other than guitar prices continue to go up. If that particular model turned out to be collectible it's value would be increased, but that's hard to predict. I think your interest/desire in owning that model should be the key consideration.

No, I am not getting the guitar to make money. I was more generally speaking about investing in a good guitar to be happy with for some time. I think I want one!

The lemonburst and open coils looks weird on a 335 to me. I never liked Dimarzio's. I have had a few sets and they just never wowed me. 335's are great axes. I used to have a 335 and I currently own a BB King.

Yeah, the open coils are a bit special, I know, but I like 'em. And if I get tired of that look, it's an easy operation to just get a couple of nickel covers on there. I am not saying no to any pickup brand, even though I know some have particular models that I personally don't like. If you are a huge Ace Frehley fan like me, you can't exclude DiMarzios from your radar...

First of all, welcome. I have one of the Lemon Burst 335s.

Your primary concern is price vs guitar condition. Since they retail for much higher my initial question is why so cheap? What's wrong with it? If nothing, then its a great price. EBay sellers have them listed at 2700-3200 typically, with no factory warranty. Retailers have them 3699 and discounted maybe $200 with warranty. I can't speak for everybody on price, obviously.

The guitar speaks for itself, finish is stunning and the double cream pickups compliment the cream accessories. Everything blends right together for one of Gibsons most stunning 335s ever.

Under the hood, the DP103 pickups will present a full range of frequencies. I do not mean they put out extreme highs and lows. Rather, 57s sound scooped, similar to the way a Mesa Boogie sounds scooped. DP103 is what I refer to as engineered sound, whereby the developers spent some time finding one that didn't leave out frequency ranges. The result is brilliant sounding cleans. Jangle and twang, in the 335 style are presented in heavy doses. Loud and full. Trying this with 57 Classics produces a tone that seems to skip the mids, you get bright, you get lows, but thin in the mid section. All of this time I play the clean voice channel on a Dual Rectifier, which is Fenderish 6L6 massive headroom. With reverb, Wow, the biggest boldest guitar I've ever played.

But... I am into everything, not just your typical Pink Floyd flashbacks. When a distortion is added, I am at a loss. I love the low gain growl, with its 335 character still coming though, but I also try some Scorpions style high gain and here is where I come up empty. A Les Paul would sound killer on high gain, the 57 Classics are lustrious and thick, they sing, but the DP103 is louder and more obnoxious, too obnoxious. And this has more to do with the pickups than the body style, my 57s are also in a 335 style semi hollow and they wail. No, the DP103s are too loud... just dropping the bridge pickup down to 9 fixes most everything. Here's where that Memphis Tone Circuit comes to the rescue.

I see you mentioned some other guitars. And those say to me, you enjoy high gain amps. You'll find that side by side the Lemon Burst tries to shoulder the other guitars out of the way, it's constsntly trying to put them to bed, saying 'I am louder'.

Thanks! I saw you posting in another thread, and I understood that you were an owner of a Lemon Burst...great to have your input here!

Yeah, I have got to try the guitar and check what's wrong with it, if anything. I've heard that times are tough for this particular retailer, a big chain of stores, and this guitar is a customer return from their online store, and it's marketed as a flawless mint condition instrument. The price is very low, but I think it looks more extreme these days when translated to dollars from Swedish Kronor...the dollar rate has increased for us the last couple of years, and I guess that gets a bigger impact on how it looks from a dollar perspective so to speak. A couple of years ago that 2200 would probably had been 25-2800. But indeed, american guitars are cheap in Sweden!

I'm glad to hear you like the DP103's, and that you experience a more full mid range, since I'm a fan of the more mid-heavy sounds. The closest to a 57 Classic that I can compare with from the top of my head are the T-tops in my LPC, but I have never thought any deeper about it, 'cause they sound great in that LPC.

I am looking forward to try the 335 with a high gain sound, as that is what I mostly play. But still, I am not using super high gain sounds, even though I sometimes play some metal on my Explorer. I have an old sixties Dynacord amp, moded and totally rebuilt by a guy I know. In front of that I have a TC Spark to give it that extra push over the edge. I play mostly blues rock and hard rock, so I feel the 335 will fit me well...

I guess the store will have the Lemon Burst in tomorrow or Friday for me to try...

• 1 month later...

I own one of these 335's in lemon burst and couldn't be happier with it. In my playing career (50yrs) I have owned six 335's., including custom shop editions. This lemon burst with the dimarzio's is by far the best playing and sounding one of them all, and it's light weight as well. I would jump on this one. I paid 2750.00 for mine and thought I got a fair deal. By the way, the other 335's that I've owned had either Tim Shaw humbuckers, 57 classic's, or earlier pat. number p/u's. These dimarzio's make for the best sounding 335 I've ever played. And it's so stunning to look at.

Archived