Gibson Brands Forums

Set Me Straight...(heh, heh)

Silvercrow

So- new Worship leader at church, expanded instrument showcasing coming along with it! I am very pleased.

Our "sound guys" are behind the curve, our equipment is adequate but "just" adequate.

I'm playing my LP and am getting nice compliments. One problem I'm having- the monitor mix is horrible. Seems an easy fix is to get / use an amp with a line out. I thought there were a ton of these out there. Maybe not so much..?

Would you reccommend a good solid state amp with a line out, OR one that can do the 'line out' thing via a headphone jack or one of the jacks on the effects loop? (Is the latter even possible?)

Obviously, I've never had to do this before. Our hierachy won't allow tube amp miking (yeah, i know)but i'd like to get the best tone possible, for a reasonable amount of money. ($500.00 IF I can use the amp to gig with too.)

The Roland Cubes are getting rave reviews, but it SEEMS the line out jack cuts the speaker. I need the speaker connected to use as a monitor.

I'd love to buy a Roland Blues Cube- I could use it to gig with too. BUT it seems there is no "line out"...

Some of the Orange amps, Fender Mustangs etc. have a headphone out and / or an effects loop. The info I'm reading is confusing...some say no problems, others say you need 'this, that and a third' to make it work.

I know lots of folks love Line 6 amps- me not so much.

OH..I'll be sending the signal through a Direct Box (if necessary), then to a snake and then to the board.

Thanks in advance!

Brian

I had no idea a 'line out' was such a neglected feature nowadays. It seems such an inexpensive thing to fit an extra socket to the PA/Mixer. Its essential for me, but I am working with a 20 year old amp. Specifically a Fender Stage 112 SE.

Someone in the amp area mentioned he had a Fender Stage with no line out. If these amps are that rare now, maybe a tech head could advise on retro-fitting a line output socket?

I had no idea a 'line out' was such a neglected feature nowadays. It seems such an inexpensive thing to fit an extra socket to the PA/Mixer. Its essential for me, but I am working with a 20 year old amp. Specifically a Fender Stage 112 SE.

Someone in the amp area mentioned he had a Fender Stage with no line out. If these amps are that rare now, maybe a tech head could advise on retro-fitting a line output socket?

I'd love to learn that too. Also...I guess i should have posted this in the amp section. But since I'm not specifically talking about Gibson amps...

Brian

I would advise that you take a look at the Fender Mustang III v2.

for example: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mustang3V2/

stereo line out (XLR)

I have a quite a bit of exp. with these,, they are very usable. and IMVHO,, this will blow a roland cube off the planet.

Hi Kidblast! Thank you! I've read some of your "reviews" / posts / comments on the Mustangs- thanks for the input!

I'm guessing I missed this because of the 100 watt power- I hadn't looked at anything over 60 watts. I believe I looked at a less powered version that did not (or I didn't notice) a line out.

So potentially dumb question, with stereo XLR- is it set up like 1/4" stereo outs are; two jacks and one (usually left) is mono? Or is a stereo XLR just one "jack" if you will?

If this will work at reasonable "monitor" volumes, I'm definitely interested. The reviews and videos are impressive.

Brian

Hi Brian

this is all the advanced manual has to say (found here: http://support.fender.com/manuals/guitar_amplifiers/Mustang_I-IV_%28V.2%29_Advanced_Manual_Rev-A_English.pdf)

these stereo XLR output jacks provide balanced, line-level

signals for connection to mixing consoles or recording

equipment. Press the GROUND LIFT switch "in" to disconnect

the ground connections (pins-1) from the XLR jacks which

may reduce line noise in some situations. Normally leave this

switch in the "out" (grounded) position

you could ask here: http://forums.fender.com/viewforum.php?f=27

Fender's similar forum to this one that Gibson hosts. not a bad place, a bit more hostile sometimes than here :)

Here's another vote for the Fender Mustang III v2. Mine's been getting quite a workout this summer and especially because I'm running mine through a board for a small PA and still using the amp as a monitor as well.

It's not my best amp, but It's priced right, not very heavy, offers a lot of power, and is capable of sounding like some very familiar classic Fender amps at the mere turn of a dial.

Well, thank you both! I'm getting pretty stoked about this- and it's available to try out at one of the big boxes in my area. Unfortunate it will probably be Friday until I can check it out!

This sounds like just what the Dr. ordered!

BTW- I had briefly checked out the Tech 21 offerings-and I owned a Trademark 10 at one time for practice / emergency backup. Kinda "meh" as I recall and the current YouTube vids aren't all that complimentary IMO!

Looking forward to trying this out!

Brian

Definiely want to go for at least the MIII if not the MIV (2x12 150. I have one of each but in Version 1 firmware) the main reason is the LCD for controling/edits etc. the II and the I don't have an LCD, so getting around the settings and the edits without a pc is a PITA

With the mustang, while it's a very easy amp to use, there is a bit of a curve with these, and when you test drive these, use the presets that start at around 88, (they all have the name "Basic" in them)

eg: Basic Deluxe, Basic Twin, Basic Bassman, etc..

These presets are closer representations of the amps they are modeling, with no bells and whistles. If you use these, you'll see right off what this amp was meant to do. If you use the majority of the factory presets, you may find there's too much of certain things, if not of everything in these presets.

you also have the Fuse software included w/the amp as well as a foot switch.

Fuse gives you a very detailed User Interface for edits and importing presets (the Fuse Site has hundreds of free presets that you can browse through, save to your PC and then load as desired to the amp)

the III has a 2 button the IV has a four button. both the III and the IV can use both offering floor/remote control of the amps with a 6 button foot switch.

so this gives you total control over presets, effects, build in tuner, etc.

The mustangs are as close to GENIUS as it gets.

IMHO they are the best out there in solid state amps that offer modeling capabilities.

Definiely want to go for at least the MIII if not the MIV (2x12 150. I have one of each but in Version 1 firmware) the main reason is the LCD for controling/edits etc. the II and the I don't have an LCD, so getting around the settings and the edits without a pc is a PITA

With the mustang, while it's a very easy amp to use, there is a bit of a curve with these, and when you test drive these, use the presets that start at around 88, (they all have the name "Basic" in them)

These presets are closer representations of the amps they are modeling, with no bells and whistles. If you use these, you'll see right off what this amp was meant to do. If you use the majority of the factory presets, you may find there's too much of certain things, if not of everything in these presets.

Fuse gives you a very detailed User Interface for edits and importing presets (the Fuse Site has hundreds of free presets that you can browse through, save to your PC and then load as desired to the amp)

the III has a 2 button the IV has a four button. both the III and the IV can use both offering floor/remote control of the amps with a 6 button foot switch.

IMHO they are the best out there in solid state amps that offer modeling capabilities.

WOW- thanks again! You are gifted in describing the functionality; and it's right up my alley to boot- I'm very used to Deluxe Reverb and clones, bassman too as I've owned these amps. My idea would be to use one of the "basic" settings say for a Deluxe Reverb or Bassman and then to hang all (3) of my pedals in front! This would be as close to a rig that I'm used to and still have the line out / portability functionality etc.

Thanks much- I'll report sometime by end of week, hopefully!

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

AND @ fromnambulax:

Checked out a Mustang III last week at local G.C. VERY impressed! Kidblast- followed your instructions- models 88 and above. Played the 65 Deluxe, Princeton and the Vox (think it was listed as British 70s). WOW! Even got that 'edge of feedback' thing I love so much!

MADE A DEAL on a used one tonight. Should have it this week!

THANKS SO MUCH you guys! VERY helpful and I'm getting something I can use, sounds great and a great price to boot. The owner is from Kentucky- bought it and has about 2-3 hours on it. Original box and goodies. I'm pumped!

Report to follow!

Brian

SPOKE TOO SOON! The Mustang III turned out to be a version 1- no line outs! DANG!

OH how I wish our sound guys would get more "with it"! It's not a hard thing to mic and amp- however I never sat at a sound system console (to operate it) so maybe there are nuances I am not aware of.

Search goes on!

Brian

Archived