Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Tailpiece Height Adjustment

Hello,

I just got a new Les Paul Standard and one of my friends tells me I need to adjust the tailpiece height.. and level it since it's higher from one side. I just want to know if this is correct and how is the tailpiece suppost to be. Thanks!!!

Here is a photo of the tailpiece

post-72835-084814900 1436285258_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I just got a new Les Paul Standard and one of my friends tells me I need to adjust the tailpiece height.. and level it since it's higher from one side. I just want to know if this is correct and how is the tailpiece suppost to be. Thanks!!!

Here is a photo of the tailpiece

post-72835-084814900 1436285258_thumb.jpg

I lower my tailpiece as low as it will go and not have the strings rub against the bridge.

Hello Sdahe and welcome to the Forums!

All my Gibsons look like that.

The tailpiece controls the string tension. Ideally, You should maintain the same break angle of the strings from the bridge towards the tailpiece, as it's from the nut towards the machine head posts. Approximately 17 degrees on modern Gibsons.

If You crank it down, You might get better sustain - due to better coupling between the string suspension and the body -, but it also results stiffer string feel, and loss of some upper harmonics. On the long run, - due to increased tension - , the bridge will start to lean forward, as it's posts will be bent (more of a problem on Gibsons with ABR-type bridge).

Cheers... Bence

Hello Sdahe and welcome to the Forums!

All my Gibsons look like that.

The tailpiece controls the string tension. Ideally, You should maintain the same break angle of the strings from the bridge towards the tailpiece, as it's from the nut towards the machine head posts. Approximately 17 degrees on modern Gibsons.

If You crank it down, You might get better sustain - due to better coupling between the string suspension and the body -, but it also results stiffer string feel, and loss of some upper harmonics. On the long run, - due to increased tension - , the bridge will start to lean forward, as it's posts will be bent (more of a problem on Gibsons with ABR-type bridge).

Cheers... Bence

Thanks... I'm using half step down tuning so I think there won't be so much tension right?...

Hello Sdahe!

Well, after all, it's really how You feel the guitar more comfortable. However, one thing You should avoid. As Hpharley90 said, don't let the strings touch anything else on the bridge than the saddles.

Cheers... Bence

I lower my tailpiece as low as it will go and not have the strings rub against the bridge.

This^^^. If the stop bar is too low, the strings will contact the sharp edge of the bridge. Equals cut/broken strings.

Archived