Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Pick ID Help!!

Boothy

Hi,

I have a 1980 ES369. It is not the usual model with the black and cream pups with a coil split but the lesser known version with chrome cover pups and a phase switch. I always assumed they were the original dirty fingers pups but having recently looked closely at them they are both different.

One has a grey plastic wire (as some early dirty fingers did i believe but also has a Gibson USA logo embossed on the rear - with no other identifying marks.

The neck pup has a braided wire and at one time had a white sticker on the rear with a number on it but that fell off some time ago and i have since lost it.

I have not had a chance to check the impedance of either pup yet.

I do have pics available of the back of both pups but they are too large to attach i am happy to email over.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Ian

when you register and your pic is open double click where I have pointed. it will turn yellow.

You just copied pic.now just paste in your post.

photobucket_zpsea7d7d2f.jpg

Hi,

I have a 1980 ES369. It is not the usual model with the black and cream pups with a coil split but the lesser known version with chrome cover pups and a phase switch. I always assumed they were the original dirty fingers pups but having recently looked closely at them they are both different.

One has a grey plastic wire (as some early dirty fingers did i believe but also has a Gibson USA logo embossed on the rear - with no other identifying marks.

The neck pup has a braided wire and at one time had a white sticker on the rear with a number on it but that fell off some time ago and i have since lost it.

I have not had a chance to check the impedance of either pup yet.

I do have pics available of the back of both pups but they are too large to attach i am happy to email over.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Ian

Just sent you a private message with my email address. You can send them to me & I'll post them up for you if you don't want to set up a photobucket account just for this thread. But you should set up an account with them because it's free and it is very useful to help with issues like this one and just to show us your gear. We love gear photos here.. we're funny like that [biggrin]

You need Searcy.

I'm no expert but I have a 2004 Gibson with PAFs which look similar (but much tidier - OMG that soldering) with the poles sticking out of the bottom and my neck p/u has braided wire while the bridge has the grey insulated wire.....hmmm....they probably make 'em all that way AFAIK....you would have remembered if it had said PAF on the sticker which came off.

Measure the output, check the chart posted on the 1st page of the "Which PAF?" thread -

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/123053-pickup-confusion/

and your guess is as good as, or better than mine!

...You need Searcy...

...Measure the output, check the chart posted on the 1st page of the "Which PAF?" thread...

I agree with the first piece of advice but for the second I would suggest a couple of small caveats;

Firstly there are discrepancies between the bar-chart and the figures allocated to the Burstbucker 1s and the Burstbucker Pros.

Secondly there is clearly an error as regards the figures given for the 496Rs

Instead of being in the 8.3 - 8.63 range (as listed) they are clearly nearer the 13.3 - 14.63 range.

But yes; overall a thoroughly good suggestion, jdgm, and thanks to those concerned in assimilating the info.

Pip.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Thanks for your help guys. The guitar needs a bit of work and i am probably gonna change the pups out for 57s anyway so i will probably get the tech to take the covers off and have a look to see if we can take a look inside too.

Thanks

Ian

Archived