Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 2016 Acoustic pages up

Rabs

Was this an acoustic leap year??

:)

Hello.. I don't usually post in these parts but I thought youd all like to see this

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2016.aspx

Grid view http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments.aspx?ModelYear=2016

Introducing the New Gibson Acoustic 2016 Lineup

Gibson Acoustic is dedicated to developing and producing the highest quality acoustic guitars in the world, continually improving the sound and performance of our instruments. From the very beginning, Orville Gibson was committed to the ideal of handcrafted innovation. By studying our rich guitar building history and pioneering advanced technologies the 2016 Gibson Acoustic model line was born.

Across our entire 2016 line, performance-driven product improvements were instated, focusing on playability, sound, and performance of our iconic instruments. Through these continuous advancements new high-performance models are introduced into our most eclectic lineup to date.

Thermally Aged top woods were developed for use on our improved Vintage line. This allows us to replicate the aging process on the cellular level for that legendary Gibson Acoustic vintage sound and appearance.

Gibson Acoustic is committed to continuing the legacy carried by our skilled artisans in Bozeman, Montana. Each guitar represents Gibson’s century-old tradition of building exquisite, investment-quality instruments with the highest standards of innovation and craftsmanship

I don't see anything but a blank black truss rod cover. What's different there?

Anyone have experience with the new pick-up system?

And why are there never any options with nut widths? I know plenty of people who prefer a wider nut and a few people like me who prefer the Epiphone nut of 1-11/16'. I know 1.725 has been common for years now -- and its effectively killed off my interest on all newer Gibsons (except the '60s-styled J45s with the smaller nut). I'm sure plenty of players reside on both sides of this nut preference. It may seem like a tiny amount, but it clearly affects my enjoyment and surely others.

Is it really too expensive or too confusing to offer more options? They offer many different woods and bracing options. Why not nut variations?

I don't see any big changes, at least not in regards to what I look for. I guess Thermally Aged tops are kind of new. Soon we'll be debating Thermally Aged vs Tone Rite. [flapper] The Dylan models are interesting, but far more than I'd pay. The walnut J100 could be a killer guitar. Might be fun to compare its sound to the J15...I'm one of the folks who doesn't get too excited over tuners, so long as they're good ones. I do think they should offer a few more choices on nut width. I like the wider nut for fingerpicking, but lots of folks can just as easily play a narrower nut. I'll likely focus on used Gibsons/Martins for now.

NICE ! A full line up ! Interesting that the HBird TV now has Gold Tuners. Changed from the 'aged' tulips. And, no more CaliGirl case - but the J45TV still comes with one.

I embrace change when it comes to a new model line up, whether guitars, cars or anything. Except pizza.

The 2 that grab my attention without further 'study' are the 32 L-00 RI and the Hummingbird Vintage, both with toastie tops!

I need another L-00 type shape like a hole.....so that leaves the Hummingbird ringing all the little bells. Guitar fund is depleted, but do we have to wait til 2016 or is that for them to save face over the missing 2015 models? Probably that.

The toasted thermocured tops will make a big difference - the talk of the town in Martin, Taylor, and other boutique makers for a while now to good reviews.

The only problem I see are the prices and our collapsing exchange rate...Bird $4249 turns into $AU7800 with Xchange, Customs and delivery! And $5499 fot the L-00 turns into ......gulp.....$AU9788!!! Rats!

BluesKing777.

That torrefied J-45 Vintage is a beautiful looking guitar. Does it effectively replace the TV model? Anyone know what bracing it has? Didn't see it listed in the specs.

The other thing to consider is like when a new model car comes out - what about the superceded models?

So there will be the new torrefied tops plus a whole lot of older stock in shops, so I assume the old models will have to have a price slash. There is a lot of to and fro on the UMGF about their new VTS and their older pre- VTS.....

BluesKing777.

Call me a cynic but, it all seems a little Gimmicky .

How can we keep these guitars 'fresh' and something to talk about to help with interest in the brand

It's supposed to emulate the vintage sound .. Surely the rest of the guitar has as much bearing on a vintage sound as the top does.

I know I know , bah humbug.

Just reminding me of a star shaped decal on a 'improved flavour' tub of margarine.

Just reminding me of a star shaped decal on a 'improved flavour' tub of margarine.

...And when you look a little closer, although the tub appears to be the same size, it actually contains less margarine. [biggrin]

Two points...

1) Is it fair to say the price of your existing Gibsons have just been boosted? Check out the new prices:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/new-from-summer-namm-2015?N=500010#pageName=collection-page&N=312559+500010+202616&Nao=0&recsPerPage=20&v=g&profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD

2) The J45 Progressive... Auto-tuning IS here... not just electrics: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-j-45-progressive-slope-shoulder-dreadnought-acoustic-electric-guitar

Two points...

1) Is it fair to say the price of your existing Gibsons have just been boosted? Check out the new prices:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/new-from-summer-namm-2015?N=500010#pageName=collection-page&N=312559+500010+202616&Nao=0&recsPerPage=20&v=g&profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD

2) The J45 Progressive... Auto-tuning IS here... not just electrics: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-j-45-progressive-slope-shoulder-dreadnought-acoustic-electric-guitar

That guitar is no J-45: it's a freak. Richlite board and bridge with tune-o-matic saddles, autotune, etc.

That's a red-headed stepchild of a J-45, and I wouldn't own it, even if you gave it to me.

Well, maybe if you gave it to me. But it's still a freak.

I think I am one who can speak from firsthand experience since I played the prototype of the J 45 vintage and the Hummingbird Vintage.

I have to agree with Dan ... The thermally cured tops are not a loose thing ... They do give a different flavor to the guitar

Would love me a lefty bird or Sj 100

JC

I think I am one who can speak from firsthand experience since I played the prototype of the J 45 vintage and the Hummingbird Vintage.

I have to agree with Dan ... The thermally cured tops are not a loose thing ... They do give a different flavor to the guitar

Would love me a lefty bird or Sj 100

JC

You played that 45? I have too.... a few minutes ago. That thing is so light and sounds so good! I don't know if all of the thermally cured tops will sound that good, but this one sure does! ;)

-Keith

Archived