Gibson Brands Forums

ToneStyler

creekster52

I have a '97 Gibson Hawk. It was originally H/H with a single tone/single volume. A previous owner added a third pot, and it is currently configured as vol/vol/tone. I prefer a single volume/tone configuration, and was considering adding a Varitone to replace the 3rd pot. I ran across the ToneStyler, and wondered if anyone has any experience with them as an alternative to the Varitone.

I haven't but does look interesting..

I like the varitone on my Blueshawk & could only think this could be an improvement on just about any guitar..

Since Epiphone just reintroduced the Blueshawk deluxe the Varitone & it's parts should start to become available again..

Rhubarb Red aka Red Hot Red

MIII%20Body%20Front%20II.jpg

I haven't but does look interesting..

I like the varitone on my Blueshawk & could only think this could be an improvement on just about any guitar..

Since Epiphone just reintroduced the Blueshawk deluxe the Varitone & it's parts should start to become available again..

Rhubarb Red aka Red Hot Red

MIII%20Body%20Front%20II.jpg

I became interested in the ToneStyler because of it's compact size. The Hawk has a fairly thin body, not to say that a Varitone definitely will not fit, but the control cavity is not very deep. I did notice a short version of the Varitone on Ebay recently.

I saw a 1996/97 "The Hawk" several months ago at a GC in Indiana that had a Fruit of the Loom name & Logo on the Guitar & Headstock for $299!!

It played great & was Black BTW, I just couldn't get over the Fruit of the Loom Logo & insignia on the guitar under the clear coat..

Says it has two 490 Humbuckers which are Alnico BTW..

Just wasn't meant to be, I love the Hawk series of guitars & should have picked that up to go with my Nighthawk & Blueshawk..

About a week later I bought Red Hot Red from Nashville

Here's what the Fruit of the Loom "The Hawk" looked like..

This on eBay for $500 now..

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

I would have been tempted to buy it and slap different stickers over the the others.

I got mine off Ebay for $350. It was not original. It had been upgraded with gold hardware, hotter gold Gibson pickups (8.6 neck & 12.? bridge), and I have added a gold Kahler Hybrid (gold stringlock ordered). The action was a little too high for me with the TonePro wraparound that came on the guitar, and it was chrome instead of gold.

I know...I know...PICS!! I really need to get a camera!

Archived