Gibson Brands Forums

What Is Richlite?

Zentar

For the record, despite richlite's excellent stability and hardness qualities and looks, if I had a choice between richlite and a dark ebony fretboard, I'd go with the ebony too. But as a player of less-expensive guitars, as a substitute for black ebony, it doesn't get much better than richlite.

Gibson uses Richlite on their custom guitars which are their most expensive guitars.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

Gibson uses Richlite on their custom guitars which are their most expensive guitars.

No, they aren't. I'm still waiting for you to post something correct and factual.

Twenty five years from now, when the FDA releases warnings that resins used in Richlite causes knuckle cancer and sever brain misbehavior in a test group, don't come back here belly aching! I'll still be playing my 1947 Gibson L-4 or it will be buried with me!msp_thumbup.gif

Twenty five years from now, when the FDA releases warnings that resins used in Richlite causes knuckle cancer and sever brain misbehavior in a test group, don't come back here belly aching! I'll still be playing my 1947 Gibson L-4 or it will be buried with me!msp_thumbup.gif

Or that the process used to manufacture Richlite creates fumes that eventually make their way to and kill ebony trees ...

I have it on good authority that Micarta, Richlite and Ebanol all cause testicular cancer in laboratory test mice. That's why classical guitarists boycott the material.

Flying V players who play seated should be leery, too...

...Check out the part about skin contact though...

With all due respect, BBP...

"May".

That word in this context is utterly meaningless without further clarification.

Does it depend on the actual piece of material in question?

The conditions under which the material is being used/stored/worked?

The skin-type / bodily secretions of the individual?

"May" sounds like a legal-ese get-out-of-jail-free card.

Pip.

I'm sure Nitrocellulose Lacquer is a really healthy and safe chemical composition too. Care to give us the MSDS for that?

"May" sounds like a legal-ese get-out-of-jail-free card.

Pip.

Hello!

Shall we really need to worry about a slight possibility (0,001%???) of Richlite causing any harm to our health, when we breath what nitrocellulose evaporates right into our faces for decades long?

Best wishes... Bence

I don't think rosewood and ebony are chemicals.

Rosewood and ebony woods are both composed of a variety of chemical compounds (mostly a cocktail of various hydrocarbons).

Do you really want to know how toxic certain aspects of woods can be?

OK. Here's a general overview - go directly to pages 4 & 5 if you want to get straight to the point;

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis30.pdf

And something more specific such as, say, Essential Rosewood Oil?

http://www.aromantic...s/rosewood.aspx

Clearly, considering how dangerous wood is, it's a wonder we guitarists are not all dead!....

Pip.

You know....you're correct!............................[scared]

Right. That settles it.

I'm going to take up the Tuba instead...

[laugh]

P.

Oh... [unsure]

I have readed somewhere that the risk of cerebral accident is higher within woodwind players.

Best wishes... Bence

Well, that's a relief.

Fortunately for me, Bence, the Tuba is a member of the Brass Family.

Unlike the woodwind-y Saxophone, of course, whose adherents will run the 'Cerebral Haemorrhaging' risk as highlighted in your post...

[smile]

Pip.

Well, that's a relief.

Fortunately for me, Bence, the Tuba is a member of the Brass Family.

Unlike the Saxophone, of course, whose adherents will run the 'Cerebral Haemorrhaging' risk as highlighted in your post...

[smile]

Pip.

I felt that I'll run into this mistake. I knew it. :D

Cheers... Bence

Guest Farnsbarns

I don't think rosewood and ebony are chemicals.

Yes, interestingly both species are made up entirely of matter not found on the periodic table of elements. :D

Yes, interestingly both species are made up entirely of matter not found on the periodic table of elements. :D

I swapped-out my Richlite 'board for one made from Kryptonite.

It helps me play faster than a.....................oh, nevermind.

[sneaky]

P.

Rosewood and ebony woods are both composed of a variety of chemical compounds (mostly a cocktail of various hydrocarbons).

Do you really want to know how toxic certain aspects of woods can be?

OK. Here's a general overview - go directly to pages 4 & 5 if you want to get straight to the point;

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis30.pdf

And something more specific such as, say, Essential Rosewood Oil?

http://www.aromantic...s/rosewood.aspx

Clearly, considering how dangerous wood is, it's a wonder we guitarists are not all dead!....

Pip.

I wonder what wood (:)) happen if you were to oil your Richlite fingerboard with rosewood oil? [scared]

I wonder what wood (:)) happen if you were to oil your Richlite fingerboard with rosewood oil? [scared]

The resultant chemical reaction is almost too frightening to contemplate...

The initial symptom would be A# shock after which your heart-rate graph would Bb as you enter the terminal cardiac arrest phase.

Pip.

The resultant chemical reaction is almost too frightening to contemplate...

The initial symptom would be A# shock after which your heart-rate graph would Bb as you enter the terminal cardiac arrest phase.

Pip.

That's more severe than I imagined! I was thinking it would cause the guitar to tune to 432 ...

That's more severe than I imagined! I was thinking it would cause the guitar to tune to 432 ...

...or more likely, as we are talking about Richlite - which is essentially paper - it would spontaneously combust at Farenheit 451.........

[biggrin]

Pip.

Archived