Gibson Brands Forums

Back From Bay, Beach, Boats... And because Flat Baroque, Here is some Bojangles

MorrisrownSal

Very nice. She's a strumma, for sure. The hat orientation tells of a soul who is still holding on to the beach holiday mindset. Hang on to that; keep it in mind as off to the salt mines to toil we go soon enough.

And- all the best 'Birds have half-worn off their Hartford Snyder (thx, Em7) artwork. Make it so, Sal.

You're starting to sound like a lovechild of Harry Chapin and Cat Stevens (Yusuf Islam )

In a good way[thumbup]

Excellent job!

Although the fact that you said I remind you of Mr Bojangles, a man who drinks too much and spends his days in jail....is outrageous!!

That second photo reminds me of when I went to the Okavango Delta. You didn't commute from Jersey to Botswana did you?

Nice job, Sal-- I always loved this ol' song. Thanks for bringing it back around.

I haven't yet gotten around to finishing Girl From the North Country, but I've been working on a Rosanne Cash-like version...stay tuned? (Complicating things is that I'm setting up a new PC...)

Anyway, here is an old Mr. B recording I did a couple of years ago.

.Mr. Bojangles

Nick, I have owned 11 footers, 13s, Montauks, and whole gaggle of other Whalers... I love old Boston Whalers as well as Parkers. The one in this photo is not a classic; it is a 17 foot Dauntless circa 1997 I bought at the beginning of this season... While I will buy used guitars, and new guitars... with boats I only go used. Heck a new Montauk kisses $40,000 nowadays.

Nick, I have owned 11 footers, 13s, Montauks, and whole gaggle of other Whalers... I love old Boston Whalers as well as Parkers. The one in this photo is not a classic; it is a 17 foot Dauntless circa 1997 I bought at the beginning of this season... While I will buy used guitars, and new guitars... with boats I only go used. Heck a new Montauk kisses $40,000 nowadays.

I've owned Whalers in the past, and will eventually buy (used) an Outrage 20 or similar for use here in Florida when we sell our "big" boat (Wilbur 34), which is our cruising "summer cottage" in Maine. I've only owned one new boat of any size, and that was a 40-footer I built for myself.

And I've always had a guitar aboard any of my cruising boats: first my old J-45, later a small Martin, and now a carbon fiber Composite Acoustics. The only one of those that was new was the little Martin.

I'm a "used" kind of guy, whether it's boats or guitars. Heck, I've only bought one brand-new car in my life. We won't talk about new vs used wives.

I've owned Whalers in the past, and will eventually buy (used) an Outrage 20 or similar for use here in Florida when we sell our "big" boat (Wilbur 34), which is our cruising "summer cottage" in Maine. I've only owned one new boat of any size, and that was a 40-footer I built for myself.

And I've always had a guitar aboard any of my cruising boats: first my old J-45, later a small Martin, and now a carbon fiber Composite Acoustics. The only one of those that was new was the little Martin.

I'm a "used" kind of guy, whether it's boats or guitars. Heck, I've only bought one brand-new car in my life. We won't talk about new vs used wives.

40 ft absolute minimum to get me there!!!!

3 of us in a 14 foot and a huge black thing came up next to us and smiled - make that 80 ft minimum now I mention it. [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

40 ft absolute minimum to get me there!!!!

3 of us in a 14 foot and a huge black thing came up next to us and smiled - make that 80 ft minimum now I mention it. [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

Well, the 40-footer I built got me and the wife from Rhode Island to Florida, taking the long route (30,000+ miles) by way of the Caribbean, the Panama Canal, the Pacific, Australia and New Zealand, Southeast Asia, the Indian Ocean, the Middle East, the Red Sea, the Mediterranean, and back across the Atlantic.

Sheesh, I knew I took a wrong turn somewhere, but someone told me to just keep heading west, and I'd get back home eventually. I would just ask "which way to America?", and folks everywhere would just point towards the setting sun.

Even spent about four months in Oz, landing near Brisbane (Scarborough) and going up over the top to Darwin before heading through Southeast Asia. My time in your Victoria neck of the woods was for work a few years later, the easy way via Qantas from LAX.

A little Martin backpacker was aboard the boat for the long trip.

I'll tell you a long story sometime about crocs, sharks, and wading in the swamps sometime after few glasses of scotch......

Holy Crap.

You are the only guy I know who sailed around the world. I went through the inlet once....

....And in a boat you crafted, no less.

I am in awe.... not for the sailing, but for the determination, and guts to chart a course and take it - uncertainty and all.

I raise a glass.

Holy Crap.

You are the only guy I know who sailed around the world. I went through the inlet once....

....And in a boat you crafted, no less.

I am in awe.... not for the sailing, but for the determination, and guts to chart a course and take it - uncertainty and all.

I raise a glass.

I will second that, but with a coffee as it is only midday here!

I don't think I have ever been out on the water with anybody competent - there you go I'll be honest - drunk and incompetent being an awful mix. Many years ago, I had a Blue Heeler (Cattle Dog) that was smarter than anyone I knew and kept itself busy teaching ME tricks. It was a great judge of character and competence,and quick to join in any fun activity including a liking for sea sand and boating, but bit 2 (Two) drummers from bands I was in and the big moment I am leading up to:

A group of us were getting on a sailing boat at a marina and the dog growled at the owner and didn't want to board and after coaxing her on, we cast off and proceeded to hit just about every boat in the marina after getting seaweed wrapped around the propeller. We then hit a jetty and that was it for the dog - it jumped out and headed for shore and the car!

What did it mean? No idea, but we went home.

BluesKing777.

Boss and I went on a tour out to a seal colony a few years back....as the tourists were snapping pics of the seals everywhere in the water and on the rocks, the captain of the boat got on the mic and regailed some scare stories for a bit of added drama, but everyone's ears pricked up at the story of the 27 foot Great White that smiles at him regularly after a meal of seal - yes, that is what he said - 27 feet!!!!

Back to guitar picking and other important guitar stuff.

BluesKing777.

Boss and I went on a tour out to a seal colony a few years back....as the tourists were snapping pics of the seals everywhere in the water and on the rocks, the captain of the boat got on the mic and regailed some scare stories for a bit of added drama, but everyone's ears pricked up at the story of the 27 foot Great White that smiles at him regularly after a meal of seal - yes, that is what he said - 27 feet!!!!

BluesKing777.

Nah, mate, you don't have to worry about that shark. The crocs will eat the shark.......

Archived