Gibson Brands Forums

ES 175D info

carljacoflea

I am a new 175( 1972) owner and want to know whats original on my axe and what isnt. Any experts in this area out there?

[thumbup] Sounds nice. Some pics would be helpful so we can see what you have going on.

Possibly the bridge base. It has the two feet as opposed to one all the way across. [glare]

ok thanks .. very helpful.. I knew the tuners were not original..I think the tuners I need are Gibson Deluxe tuners. Can you recommend the exact model number of the correct tuners? I guess in theory the bridge with a solid base would be better since there is more contact with the top?

Possibly the bridge base. It has the two feet as opposed to one all the way across. [glare]

This is a point of great contention. I used to think all Gibson archtops had solid carved bridge bases, but I've seen way too of these "two-foot" bridges on Gibsons for them all to be "replacements".

According to A.R. Duchossoir, Gibson Electrics page 149, the two footed bridge was introduced in 1952. My 1952 L-4 has the two footed bridge base. I am not sure when they went back to the single footed base.

Thanks John

The two-footed base is easier to fit, but the solid base makes for better contact.

Danny W.

Archived